Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Packard Building

Default Re: Packard, The

Quote Originally Posted by GeoGlyphics View Post
    Packard's makes great drinks, didn't mean to come off negative. To be compared with the best drinks in town (Ludivine IMO) is a great compliment. I think the, lesser known, bar at Stella does a fantastic job too.

My favorite drink at Packard's:

Bread Winner
    Patron, Pineapple Vanilla Infused Tequila, Raisin Syrup, and Lime
    There is a pretty big difference between comparing Packard's drink menu to Ludivine's and saying its a rip from it because their former bartender is on the staff. Again, He didn't start at Packard until after the majority of the drink menu had been created by someone who had never been to Ludevine.

The Bread Winner is very good and was one of the cocktails I was referring to above. It was inspired by Interurban's Tequila Bread Pudding, one of its top selling deserts over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Does anyone watch Parks and Recreation? This whole conversation reminds me of this:

The Wrong Way to Consume Alcohol - Parks and Recreation - YouTube

Does anyone watch Parks and Recreation? This whole conversation reminds me of this:

That was f-ing great.

And by the way, I've been to Valkyrie, and it is very good, but a wholly different concept from a place like Packard's.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    That was f-ing great.

And by the way, I've been to Valkyrie, and it is very good, but a wholly different concept from a place like Packard's.
    Agreed. Just talking about craft cocktails. They are definitely different concepts.

5. Default Re: Packard, The

Cue Anthony Bourdain railing on "sock-headed hipster mixologists."

Ron Swanson has my vote. Another great line of his is: "clear liquor is for women...on diets." With apologies to the women I know who could drink me under the table.

Midtown bartender drama, who would have thunk it..........

Quote Originally Posted by GeoGlyphics View Post
    Patron, Pineapple Vanilla Infused Tequila, Raisin Syrup, and Lime
    Sounds like something we'd mix for our dates in high school.

Let's see . . . taste, texture, eye-appeal . . .
    Maple Syrup/Grated Ginger/Cool Whip/Everclear/a Neon Red Marischino Cherry . . . Flambé!

(anyone who pollutes Patron Tequila with anything other than a couple of cubes of local ice should have his bartending license revoked.)

9. Default Re: Packard, The

I think anyone who pollutes ANY top-shelf liquor with a lot of additions is missing the point. Might as well use well liquor if you're going to make a kiddie drink. If I want a bunch of sugar and fruit in my drink I had better be on a beach and my booze had better have an umbrella.

A quality handcrafted beer or a fine top-shelf liquor with minimal accoutrements. That is how the Creator (or at least the brewer or distiller) intended it. Those are the only things that should pass my lips. Sorry to be such a neanderthal.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think anyone who pollutes ANY top-shelf liquor with a lot of additions is missing the point. Might as well use well liquor if you're going to make a kiddie drink. If I want a bunch of sugar and fruit in my drink I had better be on a beach and my booze had better have an umbrella.

A quality handcrafted beer or a fine top-shelf liquor with minimal accoutrements. That is how the Creator (or at least the brewer or distiller) intended it. Those are the only things that should pass my lips. Sorry to be such a neanderthal.

on the other hand . . . perhaps they are simply putting Los Huarches Anejos or El Sombrero Gato Malo into a Patron bottle to patronize the plebian peon pseduo-hipsters with faux paws who don't know no better? nah. that's impossible. probably illegal, too.

Without a doubt the funniest clip I've seen in at least the last six months.
    I'm going to have to click on Parks and Recreation (it's in the Netflix deal).

Remember those old episodes of StarTrek where the space explorers/non-cops could get wasted on stuff from the replicator that was very temporary and didn't involve hangovers? Me neither.

Maybe someone needs to open a Canadian-Themed bar down/up/midtown . . .
    Like this one from a suburb of Halifax.

Eh? =)

Although I do not gamble, I would be willing to rake in donations from anyone who doesn't believe that if you asked ten people in Packard's what a "Packard" was seven out of ten would reply, "Uh . . . This bar."

Edited to add:
    (sorry . . . i just read former state senator cal hobson's contribution to The Gazette. it was about gambling/gaming proceeds and the fair/progressive distribution thereof. i wonder if he might think that a location over by mustang might be more appropriate for a "'canadian' 'club'" . . . that, and the commentary from the Sierra Club spokesman endorsing lo-flush toilets that you have to flush three times instead of once to save water. =)

Please do not misinterpret any of the above verbiage as a lack of appreciation for the efforts of all of those involved in "resurrecting" this fine example of Oklahoma City Architecture. No kidding. No joke. I used to drive by it in a company pickup a long time ago and wonder why nobody cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

Here, here. A good scotch with a little ice and water is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Here, here. A good scotch with a little ice and water is perfect.
    It's all relative. I don't dare put ice in a good scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    It's all relative. I don't dare put ice in a good scotch.
    True, but the only thing I like warm and unadorned is a good brandy. This is getting a little off topic though.

Well back to the restaurant at hand, not impressed. At all. In fact I highly doubt I'll go back. Group of 7 of us on a Thursday night. Service absolutely atrocious. I've never experienced anything like it. Had to ask EVERY SINGLE TIME to have our water refilled. Not exaggerating. Our 7th joined us a few minutes in, not even half an attempt to bring her utensils or cup for water, until we asked of course. Unbelievable. Menu is so-so in my book. My fiancee is vegetarian of course so there's all of half an option. And cut the "but you can have salad or a side" bullcrap, please. I get that this is Oklahoma but still. And as mentioned above, drinks took approximately forever and a day. First round took around 15-20 min - long but acceptable. Second round - a friend didn't get hers for over 45 minutes. In the meantime we got a few apologies about "it didn't print out at the bar" and "we're understaffed" and what not. The waitress asked her if she still wanted it (since it was obviously taking an obscene amount of time) to which my friend said "no that's fine". Well it finally came almost an hour later - we assumed it would be comped - it was not. Oh yeah then the food. I mean if you like 5 bites of pasta for $17, then here's your place. Oh, and then the two scoops of ice cream for $9. I'll just go to whole foods next time. At least they have crushed red pepper there (oh that's another thing - after receiving my pasta I asked our waitress for some - she replied that they didn't have any. Thankfully a gentleman came a few minutes later who was able to locate some, but only after mistakenly bringing me black pepper at first. Funny.)

On the bright side there was a Thunder player sitting at the bar with his friends - I'm sure as hell hoping he got better service than we did.

Wow. Just wow. And the thing is that I believe you called it exactly as you saw it and that your perception was accurate and balanced.
    Little slices of reality ("the tapas of life in the food chain"?) such as the one you just dished up are difficult to invent.
    Really.

The imaginary, metaphorical, drizzle of "special sauce" on the two scoops of overpriced, poorly delivered, ice cream would have been if you'd had a chance to ask your waitress what a Packard was. =)
    maybe next time . . . oh. wait.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Well back to the restaurant at hand, not impressed. At all. In fact I highly doubt I'll go back. Group of 7 of us on a Thursday night. Service absolutely atrocious. I've never experienced anything like it. Had to ask EVERY SINGLE TIME to have our water refilled. Not exaggerating. Our 7th joined us a few minutes in, not even half an attempt to bring her utensils or cup for water, until we asked of course. Unbelievable. Menu is so-so in my book. My fiancee is vegetarian of course so there's all of half an option. And cut the "but you can have salad or a side" bullcrap, please. I get that this is Oklahoma but still. And as mentioned above, drinks took approximately forever and a day. First round took around 15-20 min - long but acceptable. Second round - a friend didn't get hers for over 45 minutes. In the meantime we got a few apologies about "it didn't print out at the bar" and "we're understaffed" and what not. The waitress asked her if she still wanted it (since it was obviously taking an obscene amount of time) to which my friend said "no that's fine". Well it finally came almost an hour later - we assumed it would be comped - it was not. Oh yeah then the food. I mean if you like 5 bites of pasta for $17, then here's your place. Oh, and then the two scoops of ice cream for $9. I'll just go to whole foods next time. At least they have crushed red pepper there (oh that's another thing - after receiving my pasta I asked our waitress for some - she replied that they didn't have any. Thankfully a gentleman came a few minutes later who was able to locate some, but only after mistakenly bringing me black pepper at first. Funny.)

On the bright side there was a Thunder player sitting at the bar with his friends - I'm sure as hell hoping he got better service than we did.
    Sorry you had a bad experience. The two times I've been it has been great, with speedy, friendly service and very good food. Bad night? Who knows?

As for your comment about the vegetarian items, they offer more than vegetarian salads. There are at least two veggie entrees; my daughter, who is not vegetarian, ordered one of them and it was fabulous.

You might give it another chance before writing it off. Bad nights do happen and it is still a relatively new restaurant.

Staffing problems occur because sometimes servers just quit or don't show up. Cooks can do the same thing. My guess would be if you were to return you would have a very different experience.

Hopefully you voiced your displeasure with your server and the manager. I do concur that bar service there seems slow, as I've discussed in my other reviews.

i have been several times and my experiences have been very good as well

Well I'm glad at least a few of you didn't hate the place afterwards. soonerguru, what's the other veg entree option? We saw tofu udon noodles and that's it - just curious if we ever go back. I was just floored that they didn't comp my friend's drink - particularly even after asking if she still wanted it and we said "no" - is it not assumed then that if you bring it out it's on the house? Wow. We didn't speak personally with the manager but hopefully sent strong messages with our tips. A few of us also handwrote notes on the checks about our dreadful experience. Honestly even if the service was better, it'd be 50-50 if I'd go back. I can think of better ways to eat pasta than at $3 per bite.

Well I'm glad at least a few of you didn't hate the place afterwards. soonerguru, what's the other veg entree option? We saw tofu udon noodles and that's it - just curious if we ever go back. I was just floored that they didn't comp my friend's drink - particularly even after asking if she still wanted it and we said "no" - is it not assumed then that if you bring it out it's on the house? Wow. We didn't speak personally with the manager but hopefully sent strong messages with our tips. A few of us also handwrote notes on the checks about our dreadful experience. Honestly even if the service was better, it'd be 50-50 if I'd go back. I can think of better ways to eat pasta than at $3 per bite.
    I had a black bean and beet burger. It was tasty. I think their menu is evolving.

HangryHippo Guest

So you screwed someone financially with poor tips but fail to speak to the manager about such a "dreadful experience"? Nice.

23. Default Re: Packard, The

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    So you screwed someone financially with poor tips but fail to speak to the manager about such a "dreadful experience"? Nice.
    My thoughts exactly.

Lolz, depends on what your definition of "poor tips" is. No I didn't leave the "standard 20%", but we far from stiffed them. A touch under 15% is financially screwing someone for horrible service? Le sigh.

And the black bean burger wasn't on the menu - so does seem like it's dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    ...and posted on a public board.

Thread Information