Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Guardian

Default Re: Packard, The

Some new photos from the MidtownR Facebook page:

Nice! Love the space.

Now, I'd probably decorate a bit differently. For example, the two orange chairs -- I'm assuming they're chairs, although they look more like the rubber ends of two giant toilet plungers -- would not be my personal choice.

But that's a really great space to work with.

Pete, are you sure those pictures are not from the Guardian building next door?

Holy crap. That is my kind of living space! How's the price?

Default Re: Guardian, The

More photos from the MidtownR website:

6. Default Re: Guardian, The

I can't be the only one who loves to see the old historic blended with the new contemporary. If only there were more buildings like these.

Absolutely love this project... Another huge win for MidtownR and Fitzsimmons Architecture.

It looks like most the units have a large bureau and kitchen island / buffet on casters to allow for different configurations. Really, really cool idea.

This looks great.

I can't be the only one who loves to see the old historic blended with the new contemporary.
    It's awesome, huh? And who woulda thought it could be done in Oklahoma City?

If only there were more buildings like these.
    Unfortunately, it seems we usually go in the other direction.

To be fair, the Midtown Renaissance people have cranked out over a dozen of these projects with many more on the way.

Losing old buildings is frustrating but it happens everywhere... Fortunately for OKC, there are now plenty of great restoration projects as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    To be fair, the Midtown Renaissance people have cranked out over a dozen of these projects with many more on the way.
    No doubt. They have gone against the common wisdom that usually guides our development and to good results.

Losing old buildings is frustrating but it happens everywhere...
    True, but Oklahoma City is very disjointed because of it, more so than most places. We've often lost buildings and gotten nothing in return, leaving scars along the way, yet we still do it. IMO, the interesting part of what the Midtown Renaissance group has been doing is that they are doing it in an area with no lack of undeveloped land. We're often told by real estate leaders and city officials that restoration efforts are not feasible in Oklahoma City. Yet, Midtown is meeting demand with restoration despite there being ample opportunity in the area for brand new development.

That place is sweeeeet! Makes me feel wonderful about going home to my little house that is within walking distance of nothing notable except a skunk infested field and has old carpet and shoddy drywall and a weed garden and creaking floors.

Blog Entries

I know it is very fashionable to keep bashing OKC for lack of preservation (and we do deserve criticism), however we need to appreciate what is being done, which is impressive. I had a visitor in town a month ago who is a public official in Riverside County, California. At lunch he told me how impressed he was in what was happening downtown and impressed we had been able to keep so many old buildings.

Sometimes we are so critical we fail to look at things in total and fully appreciate the preservation mode that IS going on. It is good to occassionally look at it through unbiased eyes of people without agendas or dogmatic rigidity. OKC is turning into a COOL city which does respect what short history it has (if you don't count the Native American center fiasco).

What a view!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I know it is very fashionable to keep bashing OKC for lack of preservation (and we do deserve criticism), however we need to appreciate what is being done, which is impressive. I had a visitor in town a month ago who is a public official in Riverside County, California. At lunch he told me how impressed he was in what was happening downtown and impressed we had been able to keep so many old buildings.

Sometimes we are so critical we fail to look at things in total and fully appreciate the preservation mode that IS going on. It is good to occassionally look at it through unbiased eyes of people without agendas or dogmatic rigidity. OKC is turning into a COOL city which does respect what short history it has (if you don't count the Native American center fiasco).
    Agree 100%.

I could list dozens of fantastic renovation projects just off the top of my head and there are tons more planned.

Bricktown, Midtown and Auto Alley have a high concentration of great renovations... So many in fact, I think a lot of them get overlooked.

We need a bunch more infill but much more is on the way and soon.

Sometimes we are so critical we fail to look at things in total and fully appreciate the preservation mode that IS going on. It is good to occassionally look at it through unbiased eyes of people without agendas or dogmatic rigidity.
    No doubt. A large majority of bricktown proper is renovations and reuse developments. That's its whole identity and a big part of the newer developments often just ignore it or, at best, manage to squeeze out a nod to the original aesthetic. The varying successes of Automobile Alley, MidTown, the Paseo, 16th St., and even Western Ave to a degree can be credited more to renovation and preservation efforts than any demo and redevelopment project. And these are the things that give Oklahoma City its identity and create points of interests that the city can be proud of and show off. Yet, such projects are still tagged as infeasible, when there are plenty of examples of the premium cost of these projects being wholly justified. So, really, it seems, more often than not, the perspective of those favoring preservation, often seen as a vain agenda guided by a rigid and idealistic dogma that ignores economic reality, is in reality guided by a much broader, more long term, and comprehensive economic outlook than those who are apathetic (sometimes even enthusiastic) towards demolition of existing structures.

So, basically, those that are most adamant about preservation efforts are the very ones who fully appreciate what those efforts have and can accomplish for the city. It's not hard to travel country and recognize that the economically and socially vibrant areas of American cities are often the areas that have managed to preserve and repurpose their existing structures, while maintaining a relative standard of quality for new developments that may arise. Yet, while it has improved some, there are still many important players who do not recognize the inherent economic and social benefits of preservation and even some who resent it altogether.

HangryHippo Guest

I don't see it happening, but wouldn't it be great if the Midtown Renaissance group got involved in Bricktown and was able to renovate some of the buildings there? Those would be some dynamite properties!

I think the MidtownR people want to concentrate on building up the Midtown area, as the more they do, the more it benefits the investment they've already made.

They still have some big projects on the books, like the Osler, the two buildings at 10th & Broadway, The Marion, the adjacent parking garage, the Mayfair Apartments and they still own a bunch of undeveloped land along 10th; just bought more, too.

I hope they partner with St. Anthony to help develop the big chunks of property the hospital already owns.

And with the streetcar on the way, Midtown will only see a bigger boom. If I was them, I'd keep investing right in that area... It's getting very, very close to critical mass and then values are going to start going way up.

They are putting up the suspended lights over the patio now. I'll try to take some pictures and send them over Pete.

And yes, each unit gets at least one rolling wardrobe (if not two) and a large rolling kitchen island. They actually built them on site, along with all the other woodwork, in their wood shop downstairs.

Just heard that The Garage (Hal Smith burger concept) will be leasing space at the Guardian.

I believe it will take the southern spot along Robinson and will open onto the cool new plaza / patio:

It's done pretty well in Norman. If think it would do well here too.

Fitting name...there is that awesome red garage door on the east side of the building.

People seem to love the Edmond location as well.

I wonder if they might install their signature overhead doors on the side that fronts the alley?

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    It's done pretty well in Norman. If think it would do well here too.
    Yeah the DT Norman location is nice, and good urban vibe/concept. I'm a little put off only because this one will be just around the corner from S&B Burgers, which is a nearly similar concept, only Garage has a little wider menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    People seem to love the Edmond location as well.

I wonder if they might install their signature overhead doors on the side that fronts the alley?
    The Edmond location sucks compared to Norman, as well as it's a typical Edmond type of building and I think lacks the vibe of the Norman or now Downtown OKC one provide, but another success for Midtown redevelopment efforts.

Not sure how the Edmond one sucks, other than the parking.

location, suburban building per my comments, not necessarily the food.

Thread Information