Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

1. Default Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

No idea where to put these. Steve is planning on doing a blog series to bring some of these old buildings to everyone's attention. I've passed through here many, many times but had no reason to stop. Like I said before, this is really no area of town you want to wander around. Subsequently, there is more here than you might imagine. Believe it or not, a lot here was unseen by both me and Steve. If anything would be called "I Am Legend"... this is it. Here's a tour...

Map

February 25 2012

http://www.flickr.com/photos/william...7629464258273/

Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Cool shots. I was just down in that area Sunday morning. Where is that 89ers marker located?

Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

thanks for these shots ...

Quote Originally Posted by unfrsakn
    that's awesome! where is this?!? -M

edit: i think i figured it out... looks like it's on the oklahoma operating company building just west of sw 3rd & shartel on the north side of the street. i've gotta check this out in person... so cool. -M

If you want to read about this canal go to http://www.okgenweb.org/books/okc/043.htm

In a weird way, I'm going to miss the urban blight that is south of the CBD as it's very interesting, especially if you walk it. I feel the way same way about the old railroad lines and surrounding area that was behind Union Station that is now the new I-40.

Several years ago I walked all around that area and found it fascinating, with tons of little things to see at every turn. It's very surreal to be so close to the cities tallest buildings and be in an almost completely deserted spot. The combination of old abandoned buildings, rough businesses that almost no one sees and vacant lots makes for interesting exploring.

It really is the last part of downtown that remains this way as Bricktown, Midtown and now the Film Exchange and the western area are all heavily renovated now.

I really encourage anybody that loves urban exploring to get down to that area sooner rather than later because it won't be long before it's completely changed. Same for the Coop / Lumber yard area east of the RR tracks.

just a note ... but the park sub committee is doing a building study ..on all existing building in the park area .. and very well might keep several ..

I hope they do keep as many buildings as possible.

But even if they do, the area is soon going to start changing very fast, with the old I-40 coming down and the first phase of Central Park basically leveling several city blocks.

9. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Thanks for risking your life and equipment to take these pics William. It makes my heart flutter (seriously) imagining myself down there. I may be 6 5 and 210lbs., but I can just see some "urban camper" jumping me. I guess it's best to go down there, not alone, so it's good you had Steve with you! Thanks again ;-)

11. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

I believe this area will become significantly less dangerous once the old highway is torn down and the boulevard is built.

What is that Voss building? The building and signage seems ripe for modern renovation. The font seems like something they'd use today.

13. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

A Closer Look at the Voss Building

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/20...voss-building/

14. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Here's all the photos from the OHS going back to 1944-1952...

July 1944

15. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

January 29 1946

"Den"

16. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

September 1948

17. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

February 1949

April 1949

"Mr. ?"

July 1949

"GROUP ENJOYING COFFEE IN DEN"

"STAFF IN OFFICE"

" STAFF IN OFFICE"

18. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

January 1951

19. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

March 1952

April 1952

October 1952

"MR. LESLIE VOSS, MS."

20. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

"DATES UNKNOWN"

"MR. WITH ANIMAL SKINS"

"MS. WITH CHRISTMAS DISPLAY"

21. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

If I were venturing a guess, I would say Mr. Voss was a hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    If I were venturing a guess, I would say Mr. Voss was a hunter.
    That or he made a small fortune renting out wall space to a taxidermist or three.

Great stuff, guys.

Did a Google search on 'Voss Truck Lines,' a family member wrote a book on the firm, ( http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=qNzKNQAACAAJ ), but not much else, other than citations to some lawsuits against the company.

Did anyone notice the guy using a dictaphone in the last pic in post 17? That certainly dates it.

Thread Information