Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    Did a Google search on 'Voss Truck Lines,' a family member wrote a book on the firm, ( http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=qNzKNQAACAAJ ), but not much else, other than citations to some lawsuits against the company.
    There are a few copies of that book at the OHS Museum Store.

2. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

I was going to wait and let Steve post these on his blog but he hasn't had time so I'm sharing it now.

I took these on March 3 2012. It's along SW 3rd St next to the old I-40.

Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

The CC Cooke building fronts up to the old Crosstown, driven by it many times but I've never seen the full building. Love the masonry urns.

Core to Shore will clean up this mess

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    You have a lot to learn.

I don't know what you mean, because unfortunately, it won't go anywhere near Penn and Memorial...

I am just looking at things from outside the box. Do you think people from other cities want to see abandoned buildings like that when they are traveling through OKC near the downtown area? Do you think they would say "I think I want to move here"?..

Its bad that you have people from the Dallas - Ft Worth area traveling to OKC daily and having to see places like this before right befor they enter the downtown area.

I am just looking at things from outside the box. Do you think people from other cities want to see abandoned buildings like that when they are traveling through OKC near the downtown area? Do you think they would say "I think I want to move here"?..

Its bad that you have people from the Dallas - Ft Worth area traveling to OKC daily and having to see places like this before right befor they enter the downtown area.
    SoonerBoy, the point is that people from other cities as well as the locals would love to see buildings that were previously abandoned that were salvaged to be useful and preserved parts of our history. Have you visited other metropolitan areas? Every city has districts like this that need rehabilitation.

I'm sure people from Dallas would rather see empty lots where historic buildings once stood. (sarcasm intended).

10. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

What about this building? Should it be torn down?

11. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

What about the buildings in the background behind this guy?

Urbanized, those images are not showing up.

13. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Switched them to Flickr. Hopefully they work now. Both came from Steve's blog.

14. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

These crummy buildings should all be torn down, right? Surely we can at least all agree on that?

15. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Hey Chad, not sure I've seen that photo before... seriously - where did you get that? I'd like to post it on OKC Central.

16. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Wichita Eagle. I'm a Google ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    What about the buildings in the background behind this guy?

Urbanized, that's not you is it?

18. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Nope. Not me. That's Devery Youngblood, who was the first director of the Automobile Alley Main Street Program. I was the third. I was a board member of AAMSP at the time. Devery was also the first (and only) MAPS Private Investment office director for the Chamber, and the first (and formative) president of Downtown Oklahoma City Incorporated.

My AAMSP media photos were far more embarrassing than that one. Staring off into the distance, holding blueprints I had nothing to do with, that kind of cornball stuff. Fortunately at least my glasses were smaller.

And yes, I would happily tease Devery about his '90s glasses to his face, preferably over a cold malted beverage. That guy had a lot to do with getting downtown to where we are today.

Alright, yeah I've seen that name a few times. It's just kinda hard to play the "guess what this person looked like in the 90s Game" ha. If you ask me, we should get on creating a MAPS 3 Private Investment office (or is that just the Alliance?)..

The disturbing thing is the simple fact that we are having this conversation. It's 2012, and some people still think old buildings are a curse. The most depressing thing is that I'm absolutely 100% that these views aren't just held by SoonerBoy on the Internet, but also many of the most important movers and shakers. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the personal opinion of Larry Nichols.

20. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Urbanized, Devery is going to kill you for posting that photo.

I want to see Oklahoma City continue to progress as much as possible, I just think images like this will not attract anyone to relocate here due to our "image issue" already.

I want to see Oklahoma City continue to progress as much as possible, I just think images like this will not attract anyone to relocate here due to our "image issue" already.
    Our "image issue" is one that is actually prolonged by demolishing so many meritorious historic structures. Outsiders don't think there are things of value in OKC, and don't think it's possible that OKC could have quality urban areas. So the solution is to create more quality urban areas, not to create more areas of worthlessness. We need to renovate those historic buildings.

I'm a sucker for well-preserved brick and mortar. Most people "like" old buildings, which is a major victory that the historic preservation movement has accomplished. Notice the kind of opportunities that exist with seemingly dull brick warehouses:

If you want to see just what a huge difference a fresh coat of paint can make on buildings HERE in Oklahoma, check this program out.

This is Film Row, which used to be known as "Skid Row" (area along West Main, West Sheridan, West California), which is now the latest area to see a number of historic renovation projects. It has been nothing short of another transformation that will positively affect how people see our city, especially if they visit the IAO Gallery, or Joey's Pizza, or the new architecture firm, or..you get the point. These are the kinds of opportunities that historic buildings are so great for.

East California Street circa 2000:

EXACT same stretch circa 2005:

And again going back to Mr. Youngblood and Automobile Alley:

EXACT same viewpoint today:

So in conclusion, we should NOT be afraid of keeping historic buildings around for what kind of impression they give visitors. Not only is that shortsighted, but it's misplaced, historic buildings are a major positive. Instead, we should be praising the individuals such as Devery Youngblood, such as Urbanized, and the list could go on and on, who collectively have been wildly successful in restoring so many urban blocks.

We should also make sure that they have the resources and the drive to continue to do amazing things for our city, which starts with making sure historic buildings remain standing. At the current rate, it's totally possible that we could get to every abandoned building in the next decade. Now will that actually happen? Probably not, due to tricky property owners who refuse to sell at a reasonable price (countless examples) or allow access to other parts of building (Spaghetti Warehouse), and other odd reasons. But we're still making more and more progress every day!

23. Default Re: Abandoned area between the new and old Interstate 40 (Reno to SW 7th St)

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    SoonerBoy, the point is that people from other cities as well as the locals would love to see buildings that were previously abandoned that were salvaged to be useful and preserved parts of our history. Have you visited other metropolitan areas? Every city has districts like this that need rehabilitation.
    Great job, Will.

As to ljab728's comment, I was in San Antonio for a couple of days last July ... what they have done and are doing to lots and lots of their old downtown buildings is amazing. We could take serious lessons.

And a huge thanks to Steve Mason for what he has done with Broadway and Main Street. Before and after on 9th St should be inspiration for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Our "image issue" is one that is actually prolonged by demolishing so many meritorious historic structures. Outsiders don't think there are things of value in OKC, and don't think it's possible that OKC could have quality urban areas. So the solution is to create more quality urban areas, not to create more areas of worthlessness. We need to renovate those historic buildings.

I'm a sucker for well-preserved brick and mortar. Most people "like" old buildings, which is a major victory that the historic preservation movement has accomplished. Notice the kind of opportunities that exist with seemingly dull brick warehouses:

If you want to see just what a huge difference a fresh coat of paint can make on buildings HERE in Oklahoma, check this program out.

This is Film Row, which used to be known as "Skid Row" (area along West Main, West Sheridan, West California), which is now the latest area to see a number of historic renovation projects. It has been nothing short of another transformation that will positively affect how people see our city, especially if they visit the IAO Gallery, or Joey's Pizza, or the new architecture firm, or..you get the point. These are the kinds of opportunities that historic buildings are so great for.

East California Street circa 2000:

EXACT same stretch circa 2005:

And again going back to Mr. Youngblood and Automobile Alley:

EXACT same viewpoint today:

So in conclusion, we should NOT be afraid of keeping historic buildings around for what kind of impression they give visitors. Not only is that shortsighted, but it's misplaced, historic buildings are a major positive. Instead, we should be praising the individuals such as Devery Youngblood, such as Urbanized, and the list could go on and on, who collectively have been wildly successful in restoring so many urban blocks.

We should also make sure that they have the resources and the drive to continue to do amazing things for our city, which starts with making sure historic buildings remain standing. At the current rate, it's totally possible that we could get to every abandoned building in the next decade. Now will that actually happen? Probably not, due to tricky property owners who refuse to sell at a reasonable price (countless examples) or allow access to other parts of building (Spaghetti Warehouse), and other odd reasons. But we're still making more and more progress every day!

Thank you for making me see it from a different point of view :-)

Thread Information