Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cox Cable Oklahoma City

Default Cox Cable Oklahoma City

Anyone get Cox Cable bill for this month? Mine went up $13

Default Re: Cox Cable Oklahoma City

There was a notice in last month's bill that if you were not on contract, there were some rather substantial price increases on the way. My contract doesn't run out until September, but when Sept does roll around, there's a decent chance I'll at least price TV from Dish or Direct TV.

3. Default Re: Cox Cable Oklahoma City

I went back to DirecTV a year ago and haven't looked back. I'm out of the promo pricing for DTV now, but still its only around $120 for the vast majority of channels and the movie networks. The only downsize is outage during severe weather if the rain is heavy enough. However, their service and support is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I went back to DirecTV a year ago and haven't looked back. I'm out of the promo pricing for DTV now, but still its only around $120 for the vast majority of channels and the movie networks. The only downsize is outage during severe weather if the rain is heavy enough. However, their service and support is pretty good.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that's what I'm going to find out when the time comes. Now, I have *no* complaints with Cox's Internet service, or their phone service, but when I add up the three services I suspect there may not be much of a difference once all is said and done. We'll see. I get frustrated every time I traverse the program guide on Cox and its umpteen hundred channels of nothing and fork over a chunk of $$ each month for the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by richosh View Post
    Anyone get Cox Cable bill for this month? Mine went up $13
    Our's went up $12! I couldn't believe it. I've been toying with switching to DirecTV, but they don't have WeHD, E! HD, or Style HD, therefore, the wife won't go for it. It's too bad that U-Verse can only have 2 HD streams at once because it's an option. No matter what though, Cox has about the best HD channel selection, and it seems like they know it.

I use Cox for my internet but have Dish for my TV

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    Our's went up $12! I couldn't believe it. I've been toying with switching to DirecTV, but they don't have WeHD, E! HD, or Style HD, therefore, the wife won't go for it. It's too bad that U-Verse can only have 2 HD streams at once because it's an option. No matter what though, Cox has about the best HD channel selection, and it seems like they know it.
    Yeah, the two-stream limit for U-Verse is an absolute deal-breaker for me. What we really need around OKC is a FIOS option, but last I checked it wasn't on the horizon. Anyone with later/better info? Would love to be wrong on this..

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that's what I'm going to find out when the time comes. Now, I have *no* complaints with Cox's Internet service, or their phone service, but when I add up the three services I suspect there may not be much of a difference once all is said and done. We'll see. I get frustrated every time I traverse the program guide on Cox and its umpteen hundred channels of nothing and fork over a chunk of $$ each month for the privilege.
    I agree....we are at the point of cancelling some of this so called "bundle"....Our bill also went up. Anybody catch this story? ----> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396090,00.asp Thinking it has a lot to do with raising "fees"......

9. Default Re: Cox Cable Oklahoma City

Mine went up too and they SAID it was in our bills for months that they would be doing a rate increase. I told them if i saw one again, i'd cancel the whole thing.

Cox cable can't live with it, can't live with out it.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    mine went up too and they said it was in our bills for months that they would be doing a rate increase. I told them if i saw one again, i'd cancel the whole thing.
    i did not see it

Just like Cox.net "said" they announced they would be eliminating personal webpages. (NOT)
    They did however announce that they were eliminating news groups. That was no loss since Eternal Septembers NGs are free. The webpage issue caused me a lot of trouble though. Mostly they reduced at least 1/3 of my service and were charging the same amount. Not cool Cox. You don't deserve our business at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by cfeken View Post
    No U-Verse in your area? I said buhbye to Cox about 30 months back. Haven't regretted it a bit.

The last time I priced Uverse, it wound up being about the same as Cox. Yes, the rates are high, but I can count the times our Internet and cable have been down on one hand - and at least a couple of those times storm related.

You can get a better rate plan if you just call them. The beauty of Cox is you can chuck the whole shooting match anytime you like. Just pay your bill, turn in the equipment your done. AT&T nabs you with a contract from the get go. My parents were on Dish for years and switched to AT&T for a bargain plan. They have hated Uverse with a passion since about 6 months into it. Now they are just waiting for the contract to expire. Which will mean they have to waste another day of waiting for an other installer to pillage and plunder their house to get whatever system they choose set up.

I have been with Cox for years and I have no complaints. Then again, I call every so often and tell them I'm considering switching to another service and I want to know what they can offer me. I usually get a cheaper rate a free movie channel for 6 months. I found the stores can sometimes offer you a better deal. It all comes down to what you you use. Cut any service you don't use and don't buy the highest speed internet package unless you actually need it.

I would love to go back to U-verse. Its is a higher quality product. Also, once your promo period expires, you can call and ask to be put on another one.

They also do not charge extra for whole home DVR. At my last house, I was getting higher speeds of internet, a few more channels (tons more HD) for the same price as cox, if not a little less. They also do not charge you $35 bucks for an amplifier that you may or may not need. Their software is lightyears better than what Cox is running on their DVR's as well. They also provide a wireless router built into their modems which is nice, even though most people have routers these days.

I was also pumped to see their new wireless cable boxes, no more installing cable lines, which is a plus if you live in a historic area or in an older home.

I am suprised by the contract. Ive had ATT at my last 3 rent places and never had a contract or had to join one.

Too bad they do not seem in too large of a hurry to add more power to their substations, or add more substations, to reach more people. Literally the street 2 blocks down on 20th can get full Uverse, I can get nothing on 22nd.

I switched from Cox to Dish Network 2 years ago and it's the best tv thing I ever did.

I really thought that more people here have cut the cord. Most of the shows that most people watch are on ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, all free and in HD over the air. Spend about $10/month for streaming service like Netflix or Hulu and you're good to go. I did this and save about $65 a month. I know it's not for everyone, but other than the four channels above, I would only watch Travel, FX, and Food Network on a regular basis. Totally not worth $65 a month to watch those 3 channels a few hours a week.

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    I really thought that more people here have cut the cord. Most of the shows that most people watch are on ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, all free and in HD over the air. Spend about $10/month for streaming service like Netflix or Hulu and you're good to go. I did this and save about $65 a month. I know it's not for everyone, but other than the four channels above, I would only watch Travel, FX, and Food Network on a regular basis. Totally not worth $65 a month to watch those 3 channels a few hours a week.
    Yeah, I thought you could do the same thing with the streaming and such, but by the time you piece together even roughly equivalent services, you're really not much better off - at least we aren't.

We don't have much use for movie channels, but we like the ESPN family, TLC, Food Net, FX, TNT/TBS, and a few other minor ones on occasion. By the time you line them up, it becomes a shell game...

Quote Originally Posted by MartzMimic View Post
    The last time I priced Uverse, it wound up being about the same as Cox. Yes, the rates are high, but I can count the times our Internet and cable have been down on one hand - and at least a couple of those times storm related.
    Same here...Willing to pay a little more for the reliability of Cox

Quote Originally Posted by cfeken View Post
    This is the best post of the thread! I keep telling people that they know it! They have more HD channels than DirecTV and Dish, they have a one up on AT&T for reliability and the whole "streams", they don't go out when it sprinkles outside, and their internet is the quickest! I've accepted that it's a love hate relationship with Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Same here...Willing to pay a little more for the reliability of Cox

Exactly... I have had a total of 2 outages in the 9 years I have been with them. One was storm related, One was somebody crashing into their boxes. The service was back on in a couple of hours. The best part is they don't make you wait forever for an install or upgrade. My upgrade to the total home DVR was done the day after I ordered it. To top it off the tech was 15 minutes early and had me up and running in less than an hour.

My parents lost their Uverse to a lightning strike and they were without service for almost a week. The tech was 2 hours late and did not finish until almost midnight.

The one time we've had to have a Cox tech out here in the last, oh, five-plus years, the guy worked his tall off to diagnose what turned out to be a really obscure problem. And he didn't leave until he was sure he had it fixed, even though it was miserably hot and our wiring box was in the attic. Far cry from the old, dreadful Mitchell Communications subcontractor days. The Cox guy told me they axed Michel after realizing they were screwing up nearly every job they worked for them.

24. Default Re: Cox Cable Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The one time we've had to have a Cox tech out here in the last, oh, five-plus years, the guy worked his tall off to diagnose what turned out to be a really obscure problem. And he didn't leave until he was sure he had it fixed, even though it was miserably hot and our wiring box was in the attic. Far cry from the old, dreadful Mitchell Communications subcontractor days. The Cox guy told me they axed Michel after realizing they were screwing up nearly every job they worked for them.
    That has a lot to do with the individual technician. My parents decided to go back to Cox after a couple of years of Dish. The technician was rude, slow and when "done" the remote didn't have all functions. He said it was because their TV was an older model. The TV is a brand new LG. A second tech came out and wasn't any better. They had Cox for two days and went back to Dish. All the systems have good techs and bad techs.

As to the OP. We have Direct TV and anyone not under contract went up the 1st of February. Ours went up $9 and change.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    That has a lot to do with the individual technician.
    Granted, but since we've lived in our current house (13 years), we've required support calls to the house three times. Once was when Mitchell was still the subcontractor, and what they did was a mess; the latter two were Cox-dispatched, and they were extremely efficient and fixed the problem properly on the first visit. My mom had a similar experience - when Cox was needed a few months ago to solve a signal strength issue, the Cox-dispatched tech spent the better part of an hour crawling through her attic and pulling out a maze of unnecessary/extra cabling, checked signal strength on each box in the house, verified signal strength to the cable modem, and didn't leave until everything was working. Never seemed impatient or in a hurry, either. Obviously, two or three data points doesn't confirm anything either way, but I do believe Cox is making an effort to improve the perception of their in-home service calls. For us, something wasn't working right, we called Cox, the tech showed up when promised, diligently researched the issue, and didn't leave until it was fixed. I'm not sure I can ask for much more than that from any service provider.

Thread Information