Widgets Magazine

Thread: Churracaria Concept for OKC and Good Bakeries?

Default Churracaria Concept for OKC and Good Bakeries?

Even though I no longer live in OKC but do visit frequently due to family and close friends in the community, I am no longer in the loop as far as what new restaurant concepts would work and do well in OKC? Something new and different. Any thoughts on if OKC would support a Brazilian Churracaria such as Fogo de Chao or Texas De Brazil? Also, I think that OKC is ready for other bakeries besides Panera. Would Corner Bakery, LaMadeline's, Celebrity Bakery, Paradise Bakery work well for OKC? I enjoy Prairie Thunder bakery and their artisan breads and pastries in Midtown, and LaBaguette is pretty good. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Churracaria Concept for OKC and Good Bakeries?

I for one would love to see a Brazilian churracaria open in OKC. many years ago one opened on NW expressway where harrigans once was ( now its a dental building ) and I wanted it to do well but it was in a bad location and was not that great. the meats were ok buy it lacked the great salad bar that Texas De Brazil has. I think if in midtown or downtown it could do well in okc.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Even though I no longer live in OKC but do visit frequently due to family and close friends in the community, I am no longer in the loop as far as what new restaurant concepts would work and do well in OKC? Something new and different. Any thoughts on if OKC would support a Brazilian Churracaria such as Fogo de Chao or Texas De Brazil? Also, I think that OKC is ready for other bakeries besides Panera. Would Corner Bakery, LaMadeline's, Celebrity Bakery, Paradise Bakery work well for OKC? I enjoy Prairie Thunder bakery and their artisan breads and pastries in Midtown, and LaBaguette is pretty good. Any thoughts?
    There was a Brazilian Churracaria on Northwest Expressway between MacArthur and Rockwell in an old Harrigan's building a few years ago. It lasted about two years. The owner was the daughter of a Little Rock restaurant owner. I do not remember the name. I always wondered if a place like that would have done better farther north around Memorial Road. It was good, but not as good as Texas De Brazil or Fogo de Chao, but it was not as expensive either. It may have been a few years before its time in OKC. On the other hand, the Brazilian Churracaria may have been a passing fad that has passed OKC since. I like those places but only once in a while. I can not eat like that all of the time.

Bigray in Ok

4. Default Re: Churracaria Concept for OKC and Good Bakeries?

Tulsa has had one for several years but for some reason I don't think OKC caught on to the concept while we had the one on NW Expressway.

While the one we had was cheaper than Fogo de Chao or Texas de Brazil. There were some items I actually liked better at the one we had than at it's counterparts in Texas.

I do agree that the salad bar was very lacking. As much as I tell myself to stay away from the salad bar at Texas de Brazil. I always come back with a plate full of cheese and veggies to eat before I begin my full on carnivorous onslaught of tasty meats.

fogo or texas de brazil would both do great in okc ..

For what it's worth, I work specifically in restaurant marketing. I'm the only rep for my company in OK so I know the OKC, Tulsa and Fayetteville/NW Ark area pretty well. I also get to travel to other great cities all over the country for work so I get to see a quite a few markets that are ahead of my territory speaking about trends only. OKC can hold it's own against any market with regard to quality and cuisine types.

I think with OKC's love of meat, especially beef a Churracaria concept would do well but you know what they say about location..location..location. Depending on your price point that you've got to have with that type of cuisine and that most people don't eat large amounts of meat for lunch, it would be most successful in a dinner area of OKC. Midtown is driven by Lunch and there aren't many spaces already there for a restaurant so a total new construction or complicated large scale build out would be the only, very expensive options. Bricktown would be a great location for dinner customers but it's so expensive to have a restaurant down there that makes all of it's money off of dinner. NW expressway is too infested with chains and is more geared toward out of town/weekenders. Another Churracari concept failed there in the past so that's enough to eliminate it. The best 2 area's in my opinion for this concept would be 1. Meridian/Airport area 2. Memorial Rd. I'd pick Meridian/Airport as my #1 for several reasons
    A. I believe there is a much lower barrier of entry to get a restaurant up and running in this area vs. Memorial RD. I could be wrong because there are a lot of variables but it's a safer bet
    B. Traffic..I40 and airport traffic = more people in the area period.
    C. Concentration of out of state people who are familiar with the cuisine type/concept. There are far more travelers in this area than Memorial.
    D. Open a location on Memorial as soon as this lower start up cost investment tests the OKC waters for you..lol

If you're thinking of buying into a franchise, I think Texas De Brazil would be the most successful in OKC based off their entire concept and feel. If you're serious about opening a restaurant in OKC, I'd be glad to introduce you to some of my friends/customers who already own restaurants here. It never hurts to network, especially if you're looking at making that kind of investment and commitment in a market that you currently do not live in. I'd be glad to help bring this cuisine to OKC.

midtown is just as dinner driven on the higher end as it is lunch ... 1492/Stella/cafe do brazil Meridian would be a horrible spot for any high end place ..IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    midtown is just as dinner driven on the higher end as it is lunch ... 1492/Stella/cafe do brazil Meridian would be a horrible spot for any high end place ..IMHO
    I understand that but Churracaria isn't what most people want to spend or digest for lunch. For example, the last I knew Cafe Do Brazil isn't open for lunch. Did that change? I'm sure they'd still get lunch customers but would they lose money during the lunch hour even with a slow but steady crowd? It's an expensive concept to run.

How about bakeries? Any opinions? OKC could start off with LaMadeleine or Corner Bakery! Both good chain bakeries.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    How about bakeries? Any opinions? OKC could start off with LaMadeleine or Corner Bakery! Both good chain bakeries.
    with praire thunder and the new kitchen 324 we have a couple of great local bakeries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    with praire thunder and the new kitchen 324 we have a couple of great local bakeries
    Indeed Prairie Thunder is good. Perhaps too good. Their pastries are almost as good as the ones I fell in love with in Germany and eh a whole lot closer. I'll have to give kitchen 324 a try.

Does Ingrids do any baking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Does Ingrids do any baking?
    A large portion of Ingrid's business is bakery goods. They have pastries, cookies, pies, cakes, connoli, and an assortment of breads. La Baguette has bakery goods also.

Bigray in Ok

I would love to see a Fogo or Tx-de-Brazil go in the restaurant spot at Century Center.

The place on NW Expressway, I believe, was called Gaucho's Grill.

There's a small churrascaria chain called Chama Gaucha (3 locations total) that I would love to see come to OKC. I really enjoyed eating at the one in San Antonio. The food was great, and I remember it only costing around $35. That was almost half of what I recall paying at the Fogo de Chao in Addison. With that kind of price point, I think it could do really well here.

Thread Information