Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Quote Originally Posted by labrat3 View Post
    Anything involving oil and protein is not for you.
    You mean like this?

Or, like, not GOOD for you?
    Like, in general?

2. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

I am really amazed at some peoples descriptions and and reviews of places. I am only 28. There are people on here older and younger than myself, but being my age I know what I like and don't like. I know if I go somewhere and there are onions and tomatoes in a dish, I am most likely going to not like it. I consider myself a real picky eater too, which is why I stick to what I like and know what I will like.

I know this will be hard to comprehend to some people but I can't even remember the last time I had a bad meal at any restaurant. Since this thread was about steakhouses I have been to most that have been mentioned. Would I send someone to cattlemens for a steak? No. I would send them to boulevard, ranch, ect. But the steak and meal I had at cattlemans was very good, I just prefer the others better. Same with hamburger places and pizza places, they are all good to me, but some I rank higher than others. Im not saying there are some bad places out there but they usually shut down when they get no repeat business.

I understand that people have different tastes and opinions than one another, but to lash out at a hot dog place, seriosuly a HOT DOG place, or a pizza place, or to call some place inedible or distgusting is so dramatic I am willing to bet that the person who has the issues is yourselves, not the restaurant. I mean do you go in and order food that you have never tried before each time? Hmm cow eyeballs...never had that before, I wonder if I'll like it. And to go on websites and blast restaurants for your overbearing criticizing is so childish cause you represent a small percentage of the population.

Sounds like you guys need to stay at home and make your food how you want it. (Rant Over)

The Ranch is easily my favorite steak in town. I can't believe someone didnt like it!

1. Ranch
    2. Mahogany
    3. Boulevard

Oklahoma is lacking in the true Tex Mex department. It's funny when friends from Texas come up their opinion is the exact opposite of what I have read in this thread, they think that Ted's and Pablano are about the only places worth going to. I have to agree wih them, there are few options here that remind me of restaurants down there. So maybe when you guys are saying you don't like the place what you are really saying is you don't like that particular style of Mexican food. Personally I think that is why they are so popular -- there are very few Tex like options here, so everyone who wants that goes there.

I have a friend who works at Opus Prime Steakhouse. What do people think of Opus? Urbanspoon indicates that people don't tend to like it...I can't form much of an opinion, because I'm really not a steak kind of girl.

And I do have a hard time finding Mexican restaurants in OKC that I like. Ted's is okay, but I like places like Iguana much better. Many of the Mexican places in OKC, like Ted's, serve a very watery cheese with the chips and salsa, and it's just gross to me.

I will add Cajun King to the overrrated list. I have only been once, so I may have gone on a bad day, but everything was overcooked and underflavored.

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    I have a friend who works at Opus Prime Steakhouse. What do people think of Opus? Urbanspoon indicates that people don't tend to like it...I can't form much of an opinion, because I'm really not a steak kind of girl.

And I do have a hard time finding Mexican restaurants in OKC that I like. Ted's is okay, but I like places like Iguana much better. Many of the Mexican places in OKC, like Ted's, serve a very watery cheese with the chips and salsa, and it's just gross to me.

I will add Cajun King to the overrrated list. I have only been once, so I may have gone on a bad day, but everything was overcooked and underflavored.

OPUS is horrible for the money. For the same money or less you can get MUCH better food at Red Prime or The Ranch.

As for Mexican, try El Perico or Diego's.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    As for Mexican, try El Perico or Diego's.
    metro, do you mean Los Pericos or Casa Perico or is there another place called El Perico?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    metro, do you mean Los Pericos or Casa Perico or is there another place called El Perico?
    Oops thanks, Los Pericos

9. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post

Decided to go to Opus last night since we were on that side of town. Almost changed our minds when we went on Urban Spoon and saw their dismal 57% rating, but decided to develop our own opinion.... So glad we did.

Not really sure what to try we did the platter with lobster, crab and steak. We also ordered a salad and some sides (lobster mac & cheese, creamed corn, and spinach).

It was a Friday night about 8:40pm and the place was D-E-A-D. But the atmosphere was really nice and the hostess and waiter was top notch. We started with some wine salad..... Wine selection was one of the best in town and the salads were very fresh, lightly dressing'd and a half was the size of most restaurants full size.

The steak was perfectly medium rare and lightly seasoned and had a good (not great) flavor. The lobster was nicely done and not rubbery and had plenty of meat and the crab legs were surprisingly plump and very tasty.

My favorite though were the lobster mac & cheese and cream corn. The M&C was slightly burned on top so it had a nice crunch (just the way I like it) and the cream corn seemed steamed on the cob and then seasoned and served as the kernels were plump, firm and very sweet tasting (excellent).

We were very pleased we stopped in and find it a shame they have such little business and such bad reviews. I do agree though that for the price, there are certainly other (and some better) options, but we really liked it and would go back.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Decided to go to Opus last night since we were on that side of town. Almost changed our minds when we went on Urban Spoon and saw their dismal 57% rating, but decided to develop our own opinion.... So glad we did.

Not really sure what to try we did the platter with lobster, crab and steak. We also ordered a salad and some sides (lobster mac & cheese, creamed corn, and spinach).

It was a Friday night about 8:40pm and the place was D-E-A-D. But the atmosphere was really nice and the hostess and waiter was top notch. We started with some wine salad..... Wine selection was one of the best in town and the salads were very fresh, lightly dressing'd and a half was the size of most restaurants full size.

The steak was perfectly medium rare and lightly seasoned and had a good (not great) flavor. The lobster was nicely done and not rubbery and had plenty of meat and the crab legs were surprisingly plump and very tasty.

My favorite though were the lobster mac & cheese and cream corn. The M&C was slightly burned on top so it had a nice crunch (just the way I like it) and the cream corn seemed steamed on the cob and then seasoned and served as the kernels were plump, firm and very sweet tasting (excellent).

We were very pleased we stopped in and find it a shame they have such little business and such bad reviews. I do agree though that for the price, there are certainly other (and some better) options, but we really liked it and would go back.
    Thanks for the update! Its a great idea to keep this topic fresh. I appreciate your time...

Gah...sounds like an order at Mahogany.

Opus does have a ridiculous wine list. Good to hear their steak was good. Maybe if they uprooted and found a new location they could be decent.

12. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Gah...sounds like an order at Mahogany.

Opus does have a ridiculous wine list. Good to hear their steak was good. Maybe if they uprooted and found a new location they could be decent.
    I agree - their location seems to be a problem - plus some rough reviews.

I think they'd do better as a smaller venue - something between a Signature Grill and a Red Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Oklahoma is lacking in the true Tex Mex department. It's funny when friends from Texas come up their opinion is the exact opposite of what I have read in this thread, they think that Ted's and Pablano are about the only places worth going to. I have to agree wih them, there are few options here that remind me of restaurants down there. So maybe when you guys are saying you don't like the place what you are really saying is you don't like that particular style of Mexican food. Personally I think that is why they are so popular -- there are very few Tex like options here, so everyone who wants that goes there.
    Not really about the type of food, just comparing what Ted's used to be vs. what they are now. Speaking as one who has eaten there since the very beginning, it's not worth it any longer. Original location has the tables closer together than they used to be, and that doesn't make for a more cozy atmosphere, it's just squished. Food quality has gone down over the years (spinach enchiladas used to be wonderful, now they're just OK, as one example), the price isn't worth it for the quality of the food. Certainly not worth waiting as long as you have to wait for. Service, however, is still good, and they do have habanero salsa (which you have to ask for) and they're one of the few that has it (correct me if I'm wrong, however - I'd love to find another place that has habanero salsa). Used to be really good, now just OK.

I'm with everybody on the Ted's sentiment. I like the food well enough, but considering the abundance of similar fare we have in the city, there's just no reason to go crazy over Ted's. I prefer Chelino's and San Marcos (the SW 59th location) for my Tex-Mex fix.

WOW...Toby Keith's = cafeteria food?

If so, tell me where the cafeteria is as it might be closer and better priced

Agree with the comments about most of the tex-mex places here, most are interchangeable...so-so...as far as food goes most seem to serve the same bland rice, refried beans and watery cheese sauce. Whats missing is the flavor. problem is most of the ones mentioned as alternatives aren't any better from a food perspective (Chelinos etc).

I often stick to what I like be it type of food, dish or a particular place. But also like trying new and/or different places out. never know what new favorite you are going to find. Most are disappointing and dont get a return trip. So it is back to the usual haunts. That said, those usual haunts were once new to me too.

As a hobby cook I find this thread interesting to fascinating.
    Especially the many suggestions to cook what you like, how you like it, at home. =)

[Which brings to mind: Most overrated grocery stores: Whole Foods, Sunflower Market. Both of them are EXCELLENT, yet you can prepare a meal that is indisiguishable in terms of excellence with ingredients from Homeland or Buy For Less.]

That being said, I have to agree that Ted's--while very, very, good at least the times I've eaten there--is no Casa Perico (122nd and Penn location).

Suggested reading for all participants in The Dining Experience: Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

I realize people are still waiting in lines to eat there, but I hesitate to list Ted's among the ranks of the overrated, primarily because I don't know anyone who likes it. The same goes for Deep Fork.

If you don't like the Wedge, that's cool, but it's the closest thing Oklahoma has to a real Roman style pizza. The Wedge is lighter and more ingredient driven than their competitors, and the little bit of burned character on the crust is kinda the idea when you have a wood burning oven performing as it should. If your pizza is "mushy" don't order the American Pie.

Big Truck is just not good, but they've been able to thread the needle and give people with less experienced palettes just enough of something different to make it an interesting and worthwhile experience. Financially, that's a very good idea.

Are serious food people still going to Tucker's? I wish them nothing but success, but it may be possible my expectations were too high. Hearing that this was Good Egg's burger concept, I assumed it would be better than the standard burger at Republic. But it isn't, I don't think. There isn't much reason for me to stop by now that S&B's Auto Alley location is open.

People speak very highly of Inca Trail. I have not found it so good.

The guys at Rococo seem really nice, and they probably fill an important niche for what a lot of people want to see on the menu of nice restaurant, but yeah, it's not my kinda deal.

With the exception of Tokyo, every sushi place in town is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I realize people are still waiting in lines to eat there, but I hesitate to list Ted's among the ranks of the overrated, primarily because I don't know anyone who likes it. The same goes for Deep Fork.

If you don't like the Wedge, that's cool, but it's the closest thing Oklahoma has to a real Roman style pizza. The Wedge is lighter and more ingredient driven than their competitors, and the little bit of burned character on the crust is kinda the idea when you have a wood burning oven performing as it should. If your pizza is "mushy" don't order the American Pie.

Big Truck is just not good, but they've been able to thread the needle and give people with less experienced palettes just enough of something different to make it an interesting and worthwhile experience. Financially, that's a very good idea.

Are serious food people still going to Tucker's? I wish them nothing but success, but it may be possible my expectations were too high. Hearing that this was Good Egg's burger concept, I assumed it would be better than the standard burger at Republic. But it isn't, I don't think. There isn't much reason for me to stop by now that S&B's Auto Alley location is open.

People speak very highly of Inca Trail. I have not found it so good.

The guys at Rococo seem really nice, and they probably fill an important niche for what a lot of people want to see on the menu of nice restaurant, but yeah, it's not my kinda deal.

stella makes a very good pizza

19. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    stella makes a very good pizza
    I hope it has changed. Went with a friend right after they opened and he ordered the pizza......

Waiter; "Your lunch sir."
    Friend; "What's this?"
    Waiter; "Your pizza."
    Friend; "That's not a pizza, that's a skid mark!"

It was literally this weird shaped piece of large crust with literally just a 3" wide strip of sauce and a couple of tiny toppings in the middle of it. It really did look like a skid mark. It would have been funny had they not been serious and not charged so much for it. If its the same pizza, its horrible IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I hope it has changed. Went with a friend right after they opened and he ordered the pizza......

Waiter; "Your lunch sir."
    Friend; "What's this?"
    Waiter; "Your pizza."
    Friend; "That's not a pizza, that's a skid mark!"

It was literally this weird shaped piece of large crust with literally just a 3" wide strip of sauce and a couple of tiny toppings in the middle of it. It really did look like a skid mark. It would have been funny had they not been serious and not charged so much for it. If its the same pizza, its horrible IMO.
    i was not a fan of stella when it opened .... but they have changed chefs and i think they are much much better for it

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Overrated, but not bad. I dig Neko and Musashi's. I especially like Musashi's for their cooked items. The yakisoba is great. At Tokyo, the yakisoba they serve is the Maruchan microwave stuff. I was not happy about spending that kind of money on a 70 cent package of what is essentially ramen.

Have you tried Yakimono on Memorial? They make some pretty decent sushi.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    As a hobby cook I find this thread interesting to fascinating.
    Especially the many suggestions to cook what you like, how you like it, at home. =)

[Which brings to mind: Most overrated grocery stores: Whole Foods, Sunflower Market. Both of them are EXCELLENT, yet you can prepare a meal that is indisiguishable in terms of excellence with ingredients from Homeland or Buy For Less.]

That being said, I have to agree that Ted's--while very, very, good at least the times I've eaten there--is no Casa Perico (122nd and Penn location).

Suggested reading for all participants in The Dining Experience: Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.
    Actually, all of Bourdain's books are worth reading. :-)

Just a small difference with you about grocery store ingredients - until Sunflower and Whole Foods came in (or shortly before), most fresh fruits and veggies at Crest on Santa Fe/15th in Edmond and Homeland (on MacArthur/Expwy and on 122nd/May) were pathetic. Not fresh, beat to hell, tasteless even when they looked decent, not enough varieties of things, etc. Whole Foods and Sunflower forced the other stores to up their game, but the other stores still haven't upped it enough IMO, sadly. :-( The fresh fruit and veggies at OKC's legacy grocery stores has gotten better, I will admit, but there's still room for improvement.

I've never understood why so many people rave about Eichens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I've never understood why so many people rave about Eichens.
    I think most of it is the atmosphere. I also dont think it would be as big as deal if it were in OKC, something about driving out there a couple times a year seem to add to its appeal. However, Im not going to sit here and say that their chicken, okra or, most importanly, chili cheese nachos arent damn delicious. Because they are.

Re: "Los Pericos".
    It used to be Los Pericos (The Parrots).
    Now it is Casa Pericos (House Parrots).
    It is not overrated. It is just good for a very good price. And never a wait for a table.

Sounds like Stella is trying to make people think outside the box, pizza-wise.
    ("looks like a skid mark" . . . LOL!!!)

Is "Iron Starr Urban Barbeque" on anyone's "overrated" list?
    We were thinking about giving it a try based only upon the menu and the opinion of one person who ate there.
    If it IS over-rated, I would just as soon spend my BBQ bucks at Oklahoma Station.
    (If it was "Iron Starr Urbane Barbecoa" it would almost fer shure be overrated)

Thread Information