Widgets Magazine

Thread: Fire at abandoned apartments yet again.

Default Fire at abandoned apartments yet again.

This a plea and complaint to get something done about the abandoned Lanana apartments on NW 10th and Greenvale.
    last night I noticed yet another fire at the abandoned apartment complex. this is about the umpteenth time a fire has happened there since in was condemned and evacuated in 2008. I live right by the complex, and the fires could easily spread to my home. the apartments continue to attract gangs, criminals and homeless near my home. It is a health hazard and a safety hazard not to mention a hideous eyesore. Why does the city allow this blight to exist? These apartments have been vandalized and torched beyond repair, they need to go.

Default Re: Fire at abandoned apartments yet again.

I would take this up with your City Councilman.

Out of state owner in bankruptcy

http://www.newsok.com/article/3647081

Like the suspected homeless man who apparently lit it the first time yesterday, you could torch the whole thing like in the movie 8 Mile. Then again, this isn't Detroit.

There's a string of empties down 10th street that need to come down. Should be a moratorium on new multifamily dwelling building until we clean up the properties zoned that was with empty structures on them.

John - Call your councilmember and tell him that you will speak before the Council next Tuesday morning (and get on the list to speak). Don't be confrontational - just tell him that you're concerned, need action, and wanted to give him a "heads up" before appearing. Ask for his direct involvement in solving the problem. He doesn't want this eyesore, public nuisance and hazard any more than you do. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    There's a string of empties down 10th street that need to come down. Should be a moratorium on new multifamily dwelling building until we clean up the properties zoned that was with empty structures on them.
    moratorium where? in that area? citywide? ....

If you're going to make me think out the details, how about on any property that hasn't been developed? Wanna make farmland at the outer rim into apartments you don't get to until we've rebuilt over the closer-in decay we have now.

Why can't they just set up the site as a Police/FireDepartment practice facility?
    (you know . . . like in The Wire?)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Why can't they just set up the site as a Police/FireDepartment practice facility?
    (you know . . . like in The Wire?)

They kinda did

Was Stringer Bell or The Developers or The Mayor informed/consulted?
    (Prob'ly so . . . Moot point . . . Sorry to interrupt The Flow of Progress . . .)

12. Default Re: Fire at abandoned apartments yet again.

Personally, I'd like to see our city adopt some variation of Oregon's Urban Growth Boundary. Many other states around the country have adopted similar things as well. While I know their main motivation for these was environmental, one of the big benefits for a metro like ours is exactly what's being discussed here; revitalization of existing structures, as opposed to abandonment of old and development of new. Urban sprawl seems to be a pretty hot topic around here the past few years. Here are some explanations of UGBs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_growth_boundary

http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=277

http://www.sprawlwatch.org/ubg.html

Thread Information