Widgets Magazine
Page 107 of 259 FirstFirst ... 757102103104105106107108109110111112157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 6466

Thread: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

1. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Steve's the master of suspense.

Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Or someone else totally unexpected.
    What a shameless tease!

Oh no he didn't! RUTHLESS.

Didn't Devon release their tower to a gathering of their employees? Shall we watch for one of these companies to be meeting with employees for a big announcement soon??

Mental note - Clark Kent isn't the only reporter with a secret, or a bit of a mean streak.

I don't know who it could be outside of CR, Devon, OG&E, or MidFirst. We have been talking about those companies for over a year, and everyboody expects its one those companies, so if its none of these then who? I will go out on a limb and say Boeing. They have brought thousands of employees here in the last few years, and probably looking to bring more, or create new jobs. No one is really expecting Boeing to build a tower...that is the only company I can think of. Not too mention Boeing has recently secured some multi-billion dollar contracts...hence needing to create new jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I don't know who it could be outside of CR, Devon, OG&E, or MidFirst. We have been talking about those companies for over a year, and everyboody expects its one those companies, so if its none of these then who? I will go out on a limb and say Boeing. They have brought thousands of employees here in the last few years, and probably looking to bring more, or create new jobs. No one is really expecting Boeing to build a tower...that is the only company I can think of. Not too mention Boeing has recently secured some multi-billion dollar contracts...hence needing to create new jobs.
    0% chance it is Boeing But there have been rumors of an out of state relocation to Okc. Which would be one of the reasons of this staying so quiet

I don't know who it could be outside of CR, Devon, OG&E, or MidFirst.....
    Trump Tower OKC?

Im predicting its CLR as they will be needing new space soon whether its leased or built. Will wait and see.

And if I remember correctly...when they moved here they released an article with excitement for being all in one building for the first time...so they wont want to lease all over downtown like they will probably need to do soon.

Just thinking about this gives me goosebumps! I keep a low profile on here, just taking in all the information, trying to piece it together. Everyone knows that something is brewing and that it is just a matter of time before an announcement (or several :-D) is made. When I get on here and read all of the threads and drive downtown and see all the development and such going on, the pride I have in this city nearly overcomes me! It's kind of crazy how little the average Oklahoma City resident knows about the fantastic and dramatic changes going on in their own hometown! Days like today make me wanna shake people and say, 'Don't you know what a great place this is?' Maybe I'm just eccentric, but being 28 yo and watching OUR city come alive throughout the course of my life, makes my sense of pride even greater. Call me crazy! Cuz I'm DOWNTOWN PROUD!!! lol
    Last edited by therondo; 02-16-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo

11. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

As a 31 year old who found this forum about four years ago by searching for "new Oklahoma City skyscraper", I know exactly how you feel. The Devon Tower announcement was one of the most genuinely excited times in recent memory. I was on my iPhone at work constantly refreshing the Devon Tower thread and my jaw dropped when I first saw the rendering. I went around showing people at work, who didn't really share my excitement. I'm so thankful people my age can finally have pride in our city and smile at that skyline I grew up seeing. (Growing up about two miles of downtown). Can't wait to get back into the swing of things once construction starts. (My hobbies)

I understand about people not sharing the same excitement over the things that are happening here! If everyone in this city felt like the majority of us on here, can you imagine what this city would feel and look like? My interest started with the groundbreaking of the Ballpark and Canal. I clipped every single article in the Oklahoman having to do with downtown development and the initial Maps projects. My family thought I was crazy! What a great time to be an Oklahoma Citian!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    0% chance it is Boeing But there have been rumors of an out of state relocation to Okc. Which would be one of the reasons of this staying so quiet
    I remember an article by Steve a few years back where he interviewed Cathy O'Connor re downtown development. Her words were, "We would like to see Boeing have a downtown prescence, I wouldn't rule that out, its something that we could look forward to in the future".

I remember an article by Steve a few years back where he interviewed Cathy O'Connor re downtown development. Her words were, "We would like to see Boeing have a downtown prescence, I wouldn't rule that out, its something that we could look forward to in the future".
    As someone that works in the aerospace business. I think that is very very unlikely But I hope that I am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I think this is a very interesting possibility. Obviously a major out of state relocation will involve state and city incentives. I have definitely heard of some quiet economic development negotiations, that could be a coincidence or related. We also have good reason to believe the local companies are building, including MidFirst, Continental, definitely OG+E, possibly still SandRidge, and once again Devon. Or we could see a mixed-use tower on some of the most prime land, like Stage Center.

Can it be a coincidence that we have heard so little lately from all these things: Stage Center site redevelopment, economic development, corporate relocation, Devon development, Continental's growth, MidFirst's north side property, and so on.

I'm another of those regular readers but infrequent posters on here. Always eager for downtown construction updates. A few weeks back, while visiting my daughter, who is a student in the architecture program at one of our state universities, she told me that she has recently seen either sketches or a model of a new tower that is planned for downtown OKC. I've been pestering her since then to try to get more details--who is having it built, can she get a photo of the renderings, etc., but no luck yet. I hope to visit with her again next weekend, so maybe I can learn more about it.

Does Boeing even have any high-rise towers anywhere?

18. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Ok, now something like that would be awesome for OKC!!!!!

20. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OG&E hired a national real estate company to scout sites for a new downtown HQ, and this has been going on for a while -- like at least a year. I suspect they are looking north of the OKC Museum of Art along Hudson, although I'm sure they've looked at other sites as well.
    I've wondered what that Star of David shaped building is north of that parking lot on Dean McGee & Hudson but never asked. Could that whole block be developed? I can't name from memory the other structures there and the likelihood they would move.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I've wondered what that Star of David shaped building is north of that parking lot on Dean McGee & Hudson but never asked. Could that whole block be developed? I can't name from memory the other structures there and the likelihood they would move.
    It's some kind of bank security vault or something. Armored cars pick up and drop off there. Other than that, there's a small law firm or tax firm or something over across from Legacy, and a small drive-through bank. Just tiny one story buildings that could easily go somewhere else.

I have no reason for this idea other than a wild guess, but could it be a major operating division of a large corporation such as GE Oil & Gas, GE Energy, etc? Are they large enough to need a separate building? With GE's wind and alternative energy business and their O&G operations OKC might be an attractive location for their management and administrative staff. Just a thought. The Boeing discussion caused me to think of this tangent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think that is part of it, as Larry Nichols really wants to shift focus to the new companies that are moving downtown and expanding.

This was a big part of him insisting on the Project 180 improvements: To lure more HQ's to downtown OKC.

The next major tower would signal to the word this isn't just about Devon.
    Isn't Larry Nichols pretty much retired from Devon at this point?

Hearsay has indicated that Larry had to "retire" because he was required to begin taking withdrawls from his company retirement, but he still maintains an office at Devon as the executive chairman and goes to work most days. Guys at that level don't retire. I bet he is still very much involved in the Devon decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Isn't Larry Nichols pretty much retired from Devon at this point?
    So he can be even more involved locally. He'll probably still be involved in Devon since this isn't a forced ouster like CHK.

Thread Information