Widgets Magazine
Page 97 of 259 FirstFirst ... 479293949596979899100101102147197 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 6466

Thread: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

This is just another one of life's lessons in patience....

Now, adding to the speculation of location, let's find some good vantage points for the camera(s), when that day finally does come......

Myth Busted:

Turns out 'Thunder Bunny' is a 225hp version of a VW Rabbit

Neuspeed's Volkswagen Rabbit - Thunder Bunny II

In the early '80s, Automotive Performance Systems--a company we know today as Neuspeed--modified a VW Rabbit and made history. Volkswagen was still trying to convince an air-cooled-Bug-loving public that its water-cooled technology was the future. This Rabbit traced a big, smoky burnout across the pages of Road & Track magazine, which coined the term Thunder Bunny. That's when the water-cooled VW tuning scene took off in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Myth Busted:

Turns out 'Thunder Bunny' is a 225hp version of a VW Rabbit

Neuspeed's Volkswagen Rabbit - Thunder Bunny II
    That's it! Volkswagen is building a new tower in OKC!!! Who would have ever guessed?

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    That's it! Volkswagen is building a new tower in OKC!!! Who would have ever guessed?
    You heard it here first.

and for some of you to think that I was making Thunder bunnies up.. Shame on you

Hearing more and more chatter about OG&E building downtown.

No idea about the exact location (they had hired a real estate firm to assist them) or height, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement within a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

No idea about the exact location (they had hired a real estate firm to assist them) or height, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement within a few months.
    I have zero inside info, but back in the day (early '80's), they were planning a 28 story building. This source coming from a man whose son was a developer at the time. I know this is in no way connected to what might happen now.

Yes, OG&E proposed building a new tower next to it's existing HQ -- there is an old rendering somewhere and it was very underwhelming.

Seems they are committed to doing it right this time. Just another sign the standards have been raised downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Kewl! I hope this is more than just rumors.

Now that I think about it... if OG&E is expanding and needs a new building... why not build... (drumroll please)... 4 new highrises?
    They could build an 'O' tower, a 'G' tower, a '&' tower, and a 'E' tower! All right next to each other so that it spells out the company name.

After all, you want to have plenty of room for future expansion, right?

Kewl! I hope this is more than just rumors.

Now that I think about it... if OG&E is expanding and needs a new building... why not build... (drumroll please)... 4 new highrises?
    They could build an 'O' tower, a 'G' tower, a '&' tower, and a 'E' tower! All right next to each other so that it spells out the company name.

After all, you want to have plenty of room for future expansion, right?
    I just hope they build a massive tower. I know I keep complaining about this, but, I think Devon scaling back was OKC'S one true chance for a super-tall and we missed it. I don't know if that will ever happen again. I mean there's nothing in Dallas that I would consider a super-tall. But, who knows. Just out of curiosity how long (if ever) was the Devon Tower anticipated?

OKC doesn't need a super tall until there's more balance to the skyline. Imagine that sore thumb or middle finger had it been any taller. I'm glad Devon scaled back.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    OKC doesn't need a super tall until there's more balance to the skyline. Imagine that sore thumb or middle finger had it been any taller. I'm glad Devon scaled back.
    I understand that would stick out. But, I still think Devon should've built higher while they had the chance. More building can always come in and fill/balance out the skyline, but a super-tall??? That's very common to get in almost any city. I know SanFran had a massive skyscraper in the works and was like twice the size of any building they currently had. Don't know if that is still going through. I love to see cities grow.

There's no shame in the size of Devon...

The general public doesn't really care if it's considered a super-tall on a list. People from larger cities still slam us even after this tower was built. A friend of mine from DFW that comes up to OKC frequently commented on a picture of Devon on Facebook, saying how Dallas has about 25 towers taller than Devon and they even use other colors than green. Also, that they should have just built it in a real city such as Dallas or Houston. (All untrue statements) A friend of mine from New York City mentions how we have absolutely nothing here, besides a few dive bars in Bricktown. (Also untrue statements) A buddy of mine who lives in a uch smaller city, gives me grief about living in North Dallas and not having anything here.

Haters gonna hate, a extra 75 feet on the top of Devon to put it in a group of super-tall towers will not change that. Having more smaller towers and a denser and more vibrant urban environment will change that over time.

No not all!!! Don't get me wrong, I love Devon and am so happy they built their tower. We could have nothing and that would be awful. I guess once something is built, is in me to find something wrong with it and try and think what could've been done to make it better. I don't know why I do that though. :/

15. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

One of the reasons I don't care for either cities.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

The general public doesn't really care if it's considered a super-tall on a list. People from larger cities still slam us even after this tower was built. A friend of mine from DFW that comes up to OKC frequently commented on a picture of Devon on Facebook, saying how Dallas has about 25 towers taller than Devon and they even use other colors than green. Also, that they should have just built it in a real city such as Dallas or Houston. (All untrue statements) A friend of mine from New York City mentions how we have absolutely nothing here, besides a few dive bars in Bricktown. (Also untrue statements) A buddy of mine who lives in a uch smaller city, gives me grief about living in North Dallas and not having anything here.

Haters gonna hate, a extra 75 feet on the top of Devon to put it in a group of super-tall towers will not change that. Having more smaller towers and a denser and more vibrant urban environment will change that over time.
    OKC has a deeply ingrained negative stereotype in the national consciousness. On City-Data forum, every time a "worst city" thread comes up or "most boring city", watch out because there is going to be a lot of OKC bashing. Anytime this city is mentioned with outsiders it seems like few people have anything good to say about it. When I told me friends in Charlotte I was moving to OKC, one asked me if they had electricity here and another asked me if people still used outhouses. While thanks to the Pei Plan, some of its reputation is deserving, much of it is greatly exaggerated in 2013.

OKC today, even after all the improvements, probably still isn't where it should be for its size but its much better than 20 years ago and barring a local economic disaster will only continue to improve. That said, people who believe stereotypes generally get defensive when you try to tell them they aren't accurate and there is little anybody can do to change their mind about them.

My hope is that downtown OKC continues to become more dense and vibrant, much like it was prior to the Pei Plan. I would like to see more shops, bars, entertainment, etc outside of Bricktown. Many cities have retail and eateries on the first floor of their skyscrapers at street level. In Charlotte, they have the Epicentre area which can be compared to OKC's bricktown, but the rest of downtown is pretty vibrant as well. It looks as if OKC is slowly starting to head in that direction even today. I hope new towers that get built are built with that in mind.

Personally, a clear sign that this city has turned a corner in the national consciousnesses is when major national retailers start to opt for OKC for their first location in the state rather than Tulsa. I don't think we are there yet.

I think having a super tall downtown is very unimportant. Density is more important. If rather have 2 well designed 450 feet towers then one 900 foot one to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I think having a super tall downtown is very unimportant. Density is more important. If rather have 2 well designed 450 feet towers then one 900 foot one to be honest.
    Same here. Especially now that we have an 850 ft tower, but even before that density is better. It just adds to what's already there.

19. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

Did you tell your boy that 1) Dallas only has two taller than the Devon tower, and 2)Ugh...Dallas. I can't imagine living there. It's so pretentious. I've never seen the appeal man. I'd probably never go there if it weren't for the OU/tx game.

20. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
    Did you tell your boy that 1) Dallas only has two taller than the Devon tower, and 2)Ugh...Dallas. I can't imagine living there. It's so pretentious. I've never seen the appeal man. I'd probably never go there if it weren't for the OU/tx game.
    Actually only 1. The other building has an add on antenna, if you check the roof height on that building, it's more around 700 ft.

Can someone send these reporters / media organizations updated images of our skyline? The ones you see accompanying these stories are usually hideous. It's almost like they troll the net for the worst-possible images of our city they can find.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Can someone send these reporters / media organizations updated images of our skyline? The ones you see accompanying these stories are usually hideous. It's almost like they troll the net for the worst-possible images of our city they can find.
    Agreed. Even Pre-Devon tower, there were much better skyline shots than what is typically shown. I sometimes wonder if the national media displays the worst shots on purpose. At least they are showing the skyline rather than a two-lane road with a blowing tumbleweed (I've seen that before).

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    That really is pretty amazing. For all the grousing done on this forum... hey, we must be doing something right.

That really is pretty amazing. For all the grousing done on this forum... hey, we must be doing something right.
    I compare it to Sooner fans... Bob Stoops won a National Championship in his second season, and now because he has the audicity to finish in the top 15 and only win 10 games, you have many OU fans wanting him fired.

It's the equivalent of OKC passing and executing something like MAPS and experiencing unprecedented growth, only now to see people on this message board clamor for Choctaw to look like Philadelphia.

Thread Information