Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 259 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232469119 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Guys, guys, guys. You're thinking way too hard. I mean really, mentioning international companies building skyscrapers as headquarters in downtown OKC? Nada.

There is one tower for sure, and possibly another. One being American Fidelity, which has made it clear to their shareholders that they're moving to downtown OKC from their current headquarters (if the economy continues to do well). The second being Midfirst Bank, which is a growing bank that has well outgrown their headquarters building on Grand Blvd, and Chesapeake has already offered to buy from them. Not sure which one will be the 40 story tower, but my guess would be American Fidelity. I could see Midfirst building a 20-30 story tower.

Here a better idea - cool the speculation rumors and have patience!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Why? It is way fun to speculate on this and a way to show our extreme confidence as OKC as a business magnet. It is good to speculate about gaining a company rather than who we might lose.

During the Fox post game show for the Thunder game last night you could see in the background behind the announcers a group of Asians, most dressed in blue, taking pictures on the court. Made me wonder if it was a tourist group or perhaps a business group.

What about Trans Canada Corporation? The current President and CEO of Devon, John Richels, used to be the President/CEO of Devon Canada Corporation could be a connection there. Trans Canada is the biggest player in the Keystone Pipeline that will be running through Cushing. Trans Canada's market Cap is double that of Chesapeake. I know they are in North America but they do not have a US HQ. Devon could have some major connections there and be trying to recruit them to build a US HQ in DT OKC. Devon also has Canada operations in and around the same locations that Trans Canada does. This is speculation but would be a great addition to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I served dinner during that business meeting...

We should know in the next month, I do believe.
    Note the title of the thread. It's purpose is news, ideas, and speculation, so posting that we should quit speculating on a thread dedicated to just that is pointless...

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    During the Fox post game show for the Thunder game last night you could see in the background behind the announcers a group of Asians, most dressed in blue, taking pictures on the court. Made me wonder if it was a tourist group or perhaps a business group.
    Some of these speculations are reminding me of the breathless pronouncements we enjoyed a couple years ago someone's sister's brother's babysitter's mother had seen the board of directors and senior management in town, and therefore Hertz must be moving their headquarters to OKC. ;-)

Blog Entries

Except this time reliable resources seem to be strongly indicating the reality of the possibility (or probability). All we are doing is having fun speculating on the who. I do think it is interesting how many reasonable targets there are. Especially for the companies that could make a case for moving here. A few years ago there wasn't much reason to believe any would move in and lots of reasons to suspect who might move out.

Yes, speculation is fun and interesting, hence the great popularity of this thread.

And I will never, ever forget how this contrasts with the late 80's. I wish I would have kept it but the Gazette ran a little cartoon circa 1988 that said, "What do you say about a town when the only construction downtown is a new jail?" It still makes my stomach hurt a little to think about that.

At that time, people would have been excited about even one of the small renovation projects in AA or Midtown. Now, those barely get a mention because there are huge things happening (and on the verge of happening) everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Yes, speculation is fun and interesting, hence the great popularity of this thread.

And I will never, ever forget how this contrasts with the late 80's. I wish I would have kept it but the Gazette ran a little cartoon circa 1988 that said, "What do you say about a town when the only construction downtown is a new jail?" It still makes my stomach hurt a little to think about that.

At that time, people would have been excited about even one of the small renovation projects in AA or Midtown. Now, those barely get a mention because there are huge things happening (and on the verge of happening) everywhere.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    Some of these speculations are reminding me of the breathless pronouncements we enjoyed a couple years ago someone's sister's brother's babysitter's mother had seen the board of directors and senior management in town, and therefore Hertz must be moving their headquarters to OKC. ;-)
    Wondering whether a group is a tourist group or a business group is a big step from speculation and even a bigger step from some sort of breathless pronouncement. Especially since I didn't say I had interviewed any of the groups members or their sister's brother's babysitter's manacurist to determine their intent. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I remember in 1986 Tinker announced there were 100 jobs coming available and people were to apply at Rose State college. There were thousands of people that showed up to a point that the local TV station was showing helicopter views of the people waiting in line along the fence all the way down Tinker Diagonal. After it was over there was garbage from Sooner Road all the way to Rose State. It was sad. Also, I remember going to basic training in the Air Force in 1987 when entire shopping centers were boarded up and houses were for sale everywhere. I read an article that convinced me to go in the Air Force that said that if another house was not built it would take 10 years to fill the ones that were already there. It was very disheartening. I agree with Pete on this. It cannot be overstated how fortunate we are to be able to have this conversation in the first place.

Very fortunate!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    http://newsok.com/official-invites-o...rticle/3649068

They were Chinese here visiting Hobby Lobby. They are wanting us to do business with them not move here.

As a resident of San Francisco, I can tell you that we have thousands of eastern visitors. I also believe that it is in their DNA to love photography. They disembark from their tour bus and immediately begin photographing EVERYTHING (grocery stores, including the produce and all departments; they photograph curbs of streets, flower stands and people on the street.)

It would be difficult to tell, unless you actually approach and ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    http://newsok.com/official-invites-o...rticle/3649068

They were Chinese here visiting Hobby Lobby. They are wanting us to do business with them not move here.
    Thanks for responding. Hope the group enjoyed the Thunder win as much as I did.

16. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

We regularly have many, many visitors in OKC from mainland China, Taiwan, Japan, Germany, Sweden, Scotland, Italy, you name it. The number is much greater during summer months thanks to Route 66, but the average OKC resident would be SHOCKED if they poked their noses out a little bit and/or worked in places like museums, attractions, the airport, Bricktown, Route 66 destinations, etc.

oh phffft. speculation and patience need not be treated as incompatible. Both can be quite enjoyable.

As someone who rarely posts, I LOVE reading this thread. Lots of fun

19. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

I originally found this forum by looking for "oklahoma city new skyscraper" or something close to that. I think everyone who reads, lurks and posts here is excited for Round #2. This time around, I'll be more experienced, have a new SLR and we have Cooper Ross covering things from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    This time around, I'll be more experienced, have a new SLR and we have Cooper Ross covering things from the air.
    That sounds like the intro to a TV news broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    We regularly have many, many visitors in OKC from mainland China, Taiwan, Japan, Germany, Sweden, Scotland, Italy, you name it. The number is much greater during summer months thanks to Route 66, but the average OKC resident would be SHOCKED if they poked their noses out a little bit and/or worked in places like museums, attractions, the airport, Bricktown, Route 66 destinations, etc.
    Absolutly right! And they are always amazed. It's pretty cool to work at one job durring the day with a bunch of locals that take everything for granted and have no faith in this city, and then go to work in the evening with a bunch of tourists from all over the world and see how they see the city. I can't wait to see what both groups they think over the next 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I originally found this forum by looking for "oklahoma city new skyscraper" or something close to that. I think everyone who reads, lurks and posts here is excited for Round #2. This time around, I'll be more experienced, have a new SLR and we have Cooper Ross covering things from the air.
    Same here... and I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what you can do with an SLR... Keep up the good work!

23. Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

As crazy as some of these posts are... It's a nice chuckle after a long day. It also keeps the other pages less cluttered with speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    What about Trans Canada Corporation? The current President and CEO of Devon, John Richels, used to be the President/CEO of Devon Canada Corporation could be a connection there. Trans Canada is the biggest player in the Keystone Pipeline that will be running through Cushing. Trans Canada's market Cap is double that of Chesapeake. I know they are in North America but they do not have a US HQ. Devon could have some major connections there and be trying to recruit them to build a US HQ in DT OKC. Devon also has Canada operations in and around the same locations that Trans Canada does. This is speculation but would be a great addition to OKC.
    I've thought this for some time after overhearing TransCanada execs conversing on my flight from Chicago to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I've thought this for some time after overhearing TransCanada execs conversing on my flight from Chicago to OKC.
    Also of note, one of the vice presidents of Trans Canada was recently in Oklahoma City to discuss the Keystone Pipeline with the OKC Rotary Club. Then the VP spent some time with the Gov. and other Oklahoma oil and gas executives during his stay.

Thread Information