Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oge

Default Oge

Why does OG&E charge $3.70 to use a debit or credit card to pay your bill but an online check is free. CC companies don't charge them that much do they?

Default Re: Oge

I don't get why people charge this "convenience" fee. It costs them less. They don't charge you if you pay in person, yet they have to employ that person vs. automated software they have no matter what. The only thing is convenient is to charge you fees.

I think the short answer to the initial question, posed in Post #1, is:
    1) Because they can.
    1a) And many, if not most, will pay it.

I'll either just to the online check or send them a check by mail. Just irks me to pay extra to anybody when I'm already paying my bill.

I'm very familiar with the merchant fees, but nonetheless many companies wave them for web transactions, I could see the regulations being a problem though.

Probably charge those fees to pay for that Cadillac I saw in Yukon with the OG&E logo on the door.
    I kid you not!

stick,
    Not taking anybody's side, but they are a company that has it's reasons for certain things, so I don't think a Cadillac is out of line. Yes, their rates are controlled by the corporation commission, but they are a company as I said and publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange. If their stockholders don't like the Cadillacs, they can take care of it.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Probably charge those fees to pay for that Cadillac I saw in Yukon with the OG&E logo on the door.
    I kid you not!

Sorry but I don't think I need the stockholders of a public utility overseeing my expenses. I've also seen pictures of the swank boardrooms of ONG & OG&E. Bottom line is that utilities should do better at reducing costs. It's not like we have a choice.

9. Default Re: Oge

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    Why does OG&E charge $3.70 to use a debit or credit card to pay your bill but an online check is free. CC companies don't charge them that much do they?
    Sid it on it pretty well. They are getting hit with discount rates anywhere from 1.9% to 2.9% based on which card is being used. Then they probably pay a small transaction fee (normally less than 30 cents). Depending on their agreement they could have other things like monthly gateway fees and such. The funny thing, the vast majority of Merchant Agreements with the big 4 companies very clearly outline that merchants cannot charge extra surcharges for accepting credit cards. They can get around this buy offering a discount to people that don't pay with a card. I think a lot are trying to get around this by have the "convenience" fee listed. However, it would seem that it could be reported back to the big 4 that they are actually not offering a discount to non-CC payers and therefore are in violation. Would be interesting to see the major utilities get their merchant accounts shut down. lol

Sorry but I don't think I need the stockholders of a public utility overseeing my expenses. I've also seen pictures of the swank boardrooms of ONG & OG&E. Bottom line is that utilities should do better at reducing costs. It's not like we have a choice.
    They should probably have a folding card table and some old chairs bought on craigslist....

I made my point. You showed that you don't have anything of value to add.

12. Default Re: Oge

I don't ever use it because of the fee. It seems most all of private business can accept credit cards without fees, but leave it to ONG providing an essential service which shouldn't even be in private hands in the first place. For-profit "public utilities" is the worst kind of predatory capitalism. But, it is what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I don't ever use it because of the fee. It seems most all of private business can accept credit cards without fees, but leave it to ONG providing an essential service which shouldn't be in private hands in the first place. For-profit "public utilities" is the worst kind of predatory capitalism. But, it is what it is...
    Just because it is not itemized does not make it not there, most public business work the fees into the costs of products so you pay for the convenience of being able to use a card even if you did not use a debit or credit card. Many will offer such breaks to companies since they are more willing to use other forms of payment than consumers and some gas stations trying to get more business will reducing price if you pay cash.

stick47,
    I think the point is, the stockholders "Own" OG&E so it's not up to you or me to tell them how to run their business. The overseeing of your expenses is the job of the Corporation Commission and if we don't like that, let's vote to change it. I don't know how we can do that, but if it's something so important to me, I would find out what can be done. The purchase (or sale) of a Cadillac has no impact on what you pay for electricity, They have so much profit to distribute to stockholders and/or spend on vehicles, physical structures, expansion of power generating facilities, and that's it. They can't raise your rates without the blessing of the Corporation Commission. I'm not thrilled with my bills but hopefully, our politicians are taking care of us when allowing (or not allowing) rate increases.
    C. T.

It was an OG&E Cadillac. That's all I have to say about it except that should be enough to raise anybodys eyebrows.

Thanks sidburgess, your post is enlightening as to why this is going on. I have often wondered.

stick47,
    Well, we can agree to disagree. That's one of several reasons I enjoy this forum. Good conversation and I've never learned anything by not listening to a different opinion.
    C. T.
    It was an OG&E Cadillac. That's all I have to say about it except that should be enough to raise anybodys eyebrows.

I know everyone complains about utility companies but wanted to share a very positive experience with OG&E.

Last night around 2AM it started getting warm in my house and I noticed the power was completely off.

I used my cell phone to log into my OG&E account and report the outage. It looked like it was just a few houses on my street.

Within an hour or so, they had a whole crew out and worked continuously until things were restored. Just before it started to get really hot for the day.

Credit to them... First time I've ever had something like this and they couldn't have handled it more quickly.

Not every expense that OG&E has is allowed to be recovered from customers through rates. The Corporation Commission, both through Administrative Rules and State Statutes, decides which expenses are allowed and which ones are not. Some of these expenses typically not allowed are executive bonuses, private air travel, and personal vehicles provided by the company. The Cadillac you saw may be provided to an executive for work purposes, but it's almost certainly not allowed to be charged to you in the form of electric rates. The company and the shareholders are the ones picking up the tab for those things.

Thread Information