Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big Tuna Fish Joint

Default The Big Tuna Fish Joint

Just heard the new HSRG restaurant is going to be opening Jan. 23. I heard they were keeping things moderately priced and will have fresh oysters along with other fish flown in.

Default Re: The Big Tuna Fish Joint

lacation?

Brookhaven Square NW 36 and W Robinson, east and south of Panda Garden

yep, the old Cha Cha's location.

Has this place opened yet ? Has anyone been there yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Has this place opened yet ? Has anyone been there yet ?
    See first post in thread.

Got some friends working here. Scoop is that it will be counter service like the Garage on Main St., bar will be full service. All food is priced between $7-$12 except for oysters which are delivered daily at $16 a dz. I dunno of anyplace around with fresh oysters except Pearls N. Okc. Anyways. Bar drinks start at $3.50 lots of shot specials at $2.50 happy hour everyday $1.75 domestics 3-7pm. Thursday and friday lunch and dinner are soft opening dates, spots will fill quick if not already filled. Never hurts to try and make a reservation, official opening is next monday. Phone is 928-5250 I believe if you want to try and make reservations.

I will give them one chance and one chance only to prove that the food is as good as the name is clever.
    One chance only.
    One.

(Nothing will make you sicker faster than bad "fresh" fish.
    Not counting "pink chicken" of course . . .)

All kidding aside, this sounds exactly like the sort of fish place I've been hoping for for a long time.)

Had dinner here tonight. Oysters were great, very fresh. Spicy shrimp tacos were excellent. Fried catfish second only to cajun king IMHO. Apparently they're accepting limited walkins on their final day of soft opening (friday). Food and drink are free, so if you can make lunch or dinner friday, try it out.

10. Default Re: The Big Tuna Fish Joint

great food! fresh (obvious) prepared. had the salmon poboy. mmmm the in house aloi dressing is wonderful. hubby had baked salmon he loved it. rum pecan pie had real rum in it. was totally yummy! a welcome change from red lobster. next time will have fish n chips.and am exoecting it to be great since tonights meal was! only complaint is bizarre system of having to order at counter, pay in advance and then pay bar tab separately. a bit of a hassle but the food makes up for it. i will return and soon!!!!!! mgr pls consider putting corn tortillas on the menu and or corn tortilla chips for us celiac folks!!!

If you're someone who's been waiting for Long John Silvers to get a bar, wait no more...

Quote Originally Posted by positano View Post
    If you're someone who's been waiting for Long John Silvers to get a bar, wait no more...
    You must be talking about a different Big Tuna, LJS is nowhere near the quality this place serves. The catfish poorboy is a must have. and the onion rings are some of the best I've ever had.

Sounds good.. I'll have to give this place a try

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    You must be talking about a different Big Tuna, LJS is nowhere near the quality this place serves. The catfish poorboy is a must have. and the onion rings are some of the best I've ever had.
    Actually not, but I was definitely being a smart a$$. I was just really disappointed - probably had the wrong expectations going in. If you prefer fried food, you might like it. I've eaten here several times now, and have yet to find anything worth ordering again (but have not tried the catfish). If you're looking for a seafood restaurant, you too will be disappointed. That being said, I found it to be a great bar / patio to hang out and have a drink, and think the food was more equivalent to decent bar food. To each his / her own.

There is an abundance of fried food but a couple non fried items I've tried that stand out are the lemon pepper tilapia, asian glazed salmon, bird on a bed (chicken breast with some kind of portabello mushroom cream sauce), and the blackened fish sandwich. Some exceptional sides as well like the grilled veggies, squash rockafeller, and green chile rice. I live close so I've gotten to know the menu. Anyways if you havent tried it, check it out. If you tried it once and didnt like what you got, how about another chance before you start putting the place down.

[QUOTE=badfish77;511560If you tried it once and didnt like what you got, how about another chance before you start putting the place down.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure if you were referring to my negative review, but if so, I've been there about 6 times (kids like it) and ordered differently each time. I would suspect at the status quo the place won't make it more than a year or so, which is a shame. It's great having patio options (like Louie's) in the area. FWIW, I hear the same reviews from more than half of the folks I've heard talk about it. No doubt the numbers will be good through the spring and summer, but come next fall will be the real test.

I give this place two fins up. I ate there last week with a friend. He ate there before, but he is a landlubber, so I had to check it out for myself. Since I am a Native Floridian, I've eaten at some of, probably, the best seafood joints in the country. While I am used to a greater variety of fish, I really enjoyed the tuna entree I got at big tuna. Also, my friend was kind enough to share his salmon. It was pretty good. Overall, I enjoyed the food and will definitely go back. My only hope is that big tuna expands its menu to include fish like snapper, grouper, flounder, mahi mahi, or redfish, just to name a few.

This place is officially closed for business.

Quote Originally Posted by badfish77 View Post
    This place is officially closed for business.
    lasted much longer then I expected, bad food and horrible service = closure.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    lasted much longer then I expected, bad food and horrible service = closure.
    How soon did you notice it going downhill since your February review? The only change I ever noticed was the attempt to go to traditional full service in the evenings.

Only made it by once myself. It was a good eve out with some friends.

Oh well, there's not really a shortage of places to go in town. I do sorta wonder who might roll their dice next for that location.
    So many things have imploded there over the years despite their best intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by positano View Post
    How soon did you notice it going downhill since your February review? The only change I ever noticed was the attempt to go to traditional full service in the evenings.
    I had two visit's shortly after my Feb. visit and the decline in quality and service was very evident.

that is a great spot for a bar .. champions was solid in this location

Another Hal Smith special?

Too bad…. I went 3 times and enjoyed it.

Thread Information