Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Club (old Gabriella's)

Default Re: County Line BBQ to become Gabriella's Italian Kitchen (Krebs ties)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Yet the places in Krebs are incredibly successful even with the way-out-of-the-way location.

I bet this place is a home run, even if it might not appeal to all.
    People drive all over the state to go to Ted's. That doesn't mean that their food isn't incredibly bland like it is.

I drove by the old Michealangelo's location today and it was located where American Diagnostic Laboratory is now. It is right next door to the north of Feed the Children. I liked the food as well as the food in Krebs. The ravioli at the Krebs locations is the best ravioli I had anyhere. I hope it is as good at Gabriella's.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by mikesimpsons82 View Post
    People drive all over the state to go to Ted's. That doesn't mean that their food isn't incredibly bland like it is.
    All over the state for Teds? Never heard that before. Hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    All over the state for Teds? Never heard that before. Hard to believe.
    Not to divert the thread, but Ted's went in the dumper for us a few years back. When the prices started doubling, the portions started halving, and the blandness went over the top, even my wife - who was practically a Ted's groupie when we married - said "no more." When my wife thumbs her nose on a Mexican food place, forget it. Think of Amish shunning, only more cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    ... When my wife thumbs her nose on a Mexican food place, forget it. Think of Amish shunning, only more cruel.

ROTF here.

Steve's update.

http://newsok.com/former-landmark-ba...rticle/3651228

I really like their idea of offering an Italian deli in the restaurant for takeout.

7. Default Re: County Line BBQ to become Gabriella's Italian Kitchen (Krebs ties)

Thank for the update. Glad that it is finally official that Gabrialla's is taking over at County Line.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
    not to divert the thread, but ted's went in the dumper for us a few years back. When the prices started doubling, the portions started halving, and the blandness went over the top, even my wife - who was practically a ted's groupie when we married - said "no more." when my wife thumbs her nose on a mexican food place, forget it. Think of amish shunning, only more cruel.
    lol

9. Default Re: Former County Line BBQ building

I was at Gabriella's Italian Restaurant & Market today and met with the owners. Great folks and ware glad to be back in Oklahoma. They gave me a tour and the place is amazing. We are not just talking about a coat of paint here. They have totally remodeled and transformed the old County Line into a classic old school “Italian Restaurant” complete with a wood burning brick oven that is imported from Italy. They are planning to open around June 1st. There is a market/deli in the front as a well as a bar in the back that overlooks the highway and beyond. The owners are no slackers either. Vikki is a world class chef and has operated Gabriella’s in Padre Island for 16years. Their family also owns the Isle of Capri in Krebs. This is a link to their restaurant in South Padre. http://gabriellaspizzeria.com I can’t wait for them to open.

Default Re: Former County Line BBQ building

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I was at Gabriella's Italian Restaurant & Market today and met with the owners. Great folks and ware glad to be back in Oklahoma. They gave me a tour and the place is amazing. We are not just talking about a coat of paint here. They have totally remodeled and transformed the old County Line into a classic old school “Italian Restaurant” complete with a wood burning brick oven that is imported from Italy. They are planning to open around June 1st. There is a market/deli in the front as a well as a bar in the back that overlooks the highway and beyond. The owners are no slackers either. Vikki is a world class chef and has operated Gabriella’s in Padre Island for 16years. Their family also owns the Isle of Capri in Krebs. This is a link to their restaurant in South Padre. http://gabriellaspizzeria.com I can’t wait for them to open.
    I looked at the Padre Island location's menu and it does not look like they serve their food "Krebs" style. Yes, they do serve salad and garlic bread family style like Olive Garden does, but it does not appear you get spaghetti and ravioli with every meal. Yes, the owners have a Krebs connection but I am trying to prevent myself from being disappointed when I go there and find out I do not get spaghetti and ravioli with every meal like they do at Isle of Capri, Pete's Place. etc.

I am still excited that an Italian restaurant is going into the location. The menu at the Padre Island location does look good. I wonder if they intend to keep everything the same as the Padre Island location or serve the food "Krebs" style? I am looking forward to the opening.

Bigray in Ok

11. Default Re: Former County Line BBQ building

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    I looked at the Padre Island location's menu and it does not look like they serve their food "Krebs" style. Yes, they do serve salad and garlic bread family style like Olive Garden does, but it does not appear you get spaghetti and ravioli with every meal. Yes, the owners have a Krebs connection but I am trying to prevent myself from being disappointed when I go there and find out I do not get spaghetti and ravioli with every meal like they do at Isle of Capri, Pete's Place. etc.

I am still excited that an Italian restaurant is going into the location. The menu at the Padre Island location does look good. I wonder if they intend to keep everything the same as the Padre Island location or serve the food "Krebs" style? I am looking forward to the opening.

Bigray in Ok
    Bigray, I am also excited to try it and hope not to be disappointed. The place definitely looks different than the one in Padre. I asked them if they had the menu printed yet and they had not. One of the first things i noticed in the main room was a huge picture of Frank Sinatra cooking Spaghetti. They just finished installing a brick fired oven from Italy. I hope it is as good as it looks to be.

Prunepicker Guest

I wants busghetti with my food! Bunches of busghetti.

I have been a "Pete's Place" fan for years (having family in McAlester) (1960's - now) - but I have to say it - last time we went there was about 2 weeks ago. It sucked. Now, I have caught them on bad days before, and then the next time was fine - but the last few visits have just left me incredulous. Bad service, cold food, not even the meatballs were good anymore. all the spaghetti, raviolis etc.. that come w/ the meal was slopped together (cold) onto one big plate. looked as un-appealing as it tasted. Next time through town I'll give the Isle another go, but Pete's has gone the way of being a watering hole instead of restaurant. IMHO of course.

Stopped by Gabriella's Italian Kitchen (old County Line location near the Cowboy Hall) and happened to catch the owner, Duane Muhs, out front and he was more than happy to show me around.

As you will see they are practically finished and Duane said they will have a soft opening June 25th.

They have done a really nice job and the place looks and feels great. The front entrance will feature several glass cases where they will sell fresh pasta, sauces, home-made Italian sausage, Boar Head meats and cheeses, and fresh-baked breads:

This is the main dining area (looking south or towards the back) that runs down the middle; note the cool image of Frank Sinatra with a big bunch of spaghetti. Duane said they have exclusive use of that image for 10 years.

Main dining area looking back towards the entrance:

They maintained all the little side rooms along the perimeter (these were originally horse stalls back in the 30's):

Behind the main dining hall is the huge bar area; note the cool old stone fireplace that had been previously covered with dry wall. Duane said there will be 25 beers on tap:

This is facing south out the back of the bar:

Also in the bar area is the kitchen and a large, real wood-fired pizza oven:

Duane poses with the pizza oven:

There is also this smaller building just outside that Duane said they may turn into a breakfast place:

Looks great and love the bar area

They've done a really nice job with the layout and all the finishes. Looks like a first class job all the way around.

I think the bar area will be particularly popular with the view, fireplace and ambiance.

I predict a complete home run.

Good to see this jewel of a building put back into use.

The pics are great, but maybe I got turned around. In the back room which now looks like the bar there was already a fireplace. Unless they uncovered a different one and now have two, I think that one was already there. I remember sitting infront of it several times. We always had to eat in the back rooms due to large groups everytime I have gone. The tour was great though. Did he mention the menu, will it be like Petes or Isla Capri, or my favorite in the mcalester area Giacomos.

Prunepicker Guest

I don't care to eat at a place that has blue in the decor. Blue is
    the most unappetizing color on the face of the Earth.

My wife and I tried it out last night. I had the lasagna and she had chicken parm. The lasagna was SO sweet, it tasted like it was full of sugar. I'm not sure if it was the sauce or something else in the recipe, but I had no desire for anything sweet for dessert. The chicken parm was okay, but a little greasy and too salty. We didn't do an appetizer, but heard good things about the zuppli (parmesan risotto rice balls with sausage and mozzarella) from a couple sitting nearby. The salad was very much in the Krebs style - lettuce and a few tomatoes with a vinegar and oil dressing, although there was one piece of cucumber in the bowl. The antipasto plate had two small pieces of muenster, two green olives, and two pepperoncinis. The bread was ok, a little burned, and no more offered after the original 4 small pieces.
    Overall, not up to the quality we were hoping for based on our many trips to Krebs. I think we'll give it a few weeks and try it again, maybe try out some pizza from the wood fired brick oven.

considering that was the first day of gabriella's soft opening, i'd cut them some slack. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I don't care to eat at a place that has blue in the decor. Blue is
    the most unappetizing color on the face of the Earth.
    I'm sure they will miss your business.

blueberries . . . bleu cheese . . .
    yup. those are about the only two blue things i find appetizing at all.
    the "zuppli" sounds interesting . . . hope it isn't blue.

RM, if you will support your blueberries in a thick layer on top of a cheesecake base, they are sooooooooooo much better.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    considering that was the first day of gabriella's soft opening, i'd cut them some slack. -M
    I understand it was the first day, and the last thing I said was that I would give it a few weeks and try some other menu items. But let's also keep in mind that this is the same menu they've been serving at their Padre Island location for quite a while with food being prepared by the same head chef, so it isn't a matter of having to learn all new recipes. I was simply trying to provide some insight into an experience of someone who was really looking forward to the opening and was a little unimpressed by some of the things we experienced.

Thread Information