Widgets Magazine

Thread: Perle Mesta Park

Midtown Perle Mesta Park

After what seems like years of discussions, it appears that improvements will move forward on Perle Mesta Park. It looks like the project has gone out for bid:

http://www.oklahomabids.com/bid-oppo...rovements.html

[Not certain on the policy of linking other sites on this forum]

Cannot wait for this project to move forward. Improvements to the park, in conjunction with changes to the traffic flow pattern, should only continue to improve this great neighborhood.

Default Re: Perle Mesta Park

Others may have known this, but I didn't realize the park was such a recent addition to the neighborhood. When you look at the aerial photographs of the neighborhood from 1969, you can see rows of houses where the park now sits. Does anyone know the story of how, when, or why the park was created?

A new sculpture is planned for the stage area of the park:

4. Default Re: Perle Mesta Park

I really like that. Well done.

I am continuously amazed at the design and amenities provided by the city to north okc.

Do we know that this is actually being paid for by the city? Seems like these types of things are often donated/fundraised.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Do we know that this is actually being paid for by the city? Seems like these types of things are often donated/fundraised.
    My guess is the passage of MAP 4 which a huge chuck of funds will come from the $140 million dedicated for parks. Looks to be a high quality project to really beautiful the park and excite more people about its use. Some what similar to the proposed Manuel Perez park proposed for the Oklahoma river.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I am continuously amazed at the design and amenities provided by the city to north okc.
    At this very moment, the city is spending millions for a new Perez Park on the south shore of the river and will be soon be making huge improvements to Wiley Post park right next to it.

South of I-40, they will be starting very soon on lower Scissortail Park. Tons more park improvements on the southside.

This Mesta Park thing is one small sculpture.

Blog Entries

Mesta Park neighborhood association is under contract to manage the park on behalf of the city. This was likely funded by members and not the city.

In the Maps presentations , the Parks and Rec presenter used the term "neglected" when referring to the parks situation in south okc in response to why four new parks were proposed for south of the river. It is the cumulative effect of years of underfunding services to the area of south of the river, that is so frustrating.

Blog Entries

100% agree with you that south side parks aren't getting the love they need and deserve, just saying it's not the fault of Mesta in this case.

12. Default Re: Perle Mesta Park

why doesn't the southside leverige neighborhood associations, the Southside Chamber of Commerce, Southside city council, and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to develop master plan(s) for development, amenities, and venues south of the river.

If they had a plan, ready to go - I'd imagine the city would fulfill projects more quickly like what's seen in the north. Also noteworthy that most of the population of OKC lives north of the river but that's no excuse to ignore the Southside which HAS been happening.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Mesta Park neighborhood association is under contract to manage the park on behalf of the city. This was likely funded by members and not the city.
    Exactly. I was on the neighborhood board for Mesta Park up until about 2 months ago. Most of the park and common area improvements and maintenance are funded by donations, grants, and profits from events like Mesta Festa, the homes tour and a few other smaller events. The city obviously chips in on some maintenance related things since it’s a city park but the neighborhood board has to do the legwork for the funding/selection/execution of any improvements done in the park, shartel median and even some of the non-city streetlights that have been installed.

To those complaining that the southside parks don’t get any love...the city isn’t showing any favoritism, it has taken a very active and involved neighborhood association advocating and working to make any of the nice improvements to the park and neighborhood as a whole possible.

14. Default Re: Perle Mesta Park

hence my post above about southside groups getting their act together with shovel-ready master plans
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    100% agree with you that south side parks aren't getting the love they need and deserve, just saying it's not the fault of Mesta in this case.
    I didn't find fault with the Mesta Park neighborhood. The original post was a bid which I assume was by the city. I fault the city of Oklahoma City. My wish is that parks all over the city receive the same treatment from the city government and that the same level of design could be enjoyed throughout the city. This summer there wasn't even a recreation center open south of 240.
    The fact is the the area south of the river has not been part of the renaissance that is so often touted on this board. Maps has done very little for the southside.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I didn't find fault with the Mesta Park neighborhood. The original post was a bid which I assume was by the city. I fault the city of Oklahoma City. My wish is that parks all over the city receive the same treatment from the city government and that the same level of design could be enjoyed throughout the city. This summer there wasn't even a recreation center open south of 240.
    The fact is the the area south of the river has not been part of the renaissance that is so often touted on this board. Maps has done very little for the southside.
    Why do you think Mesta park is getting special treatment from the city? They have the exact same gazebo and piece of playground equipment every neighborhood park in the city has. The city has put nothing in Mesta park they haven’t put in every park on the southside.

Mesta Park is a fantastic park but it’s not because it gets special treatment from the city. It’s because the neighborhood association is highly involved and it just so happens to be surrounded by one of the most walkable, picturesque neighborhoods in Oklahoma.

The neighborhood association is key - residents have to initiate and maintain things sometimes. Venice's NA got volunteers for watering, someone to write a grant and follow through, and we were able to get 3 dozen trees planted by OKC Parks on the Venice Blvd and Winter Dr medians via a grant from the Margaret Annis Boys Trust, wouldn't have happened unless we started it, stuck with it, and followed it through. It took probably 6-7 months from the start to the planting, and 2 years of guaranteed watering commitments from us to make it happen. You can't just hope OKC Parks will just drop something cool in your laps, you gotta figure out what you want and go after it (for all but the basic amenities).

18. Default Re: Perle Mesta Park

This project was set in motion by the a memorial fund of a long time resident of Mesta Park. Other donors have come on board to facilitate the project. Similar to the volleyball courts, the improved and expanded irrigation system, sod and additional landscaping, improved signage on the NW corner, etc. The MPNA is active in raising funds through Mesta Festa and the Home Tour. Membership dues are optional and to be honest, membership is actually quite small.

There is participation from the city, but they certainly do not lead the charge on improvements and do not contribute enough financially (or at all) to make any of these projects happen.

Thread Information