Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Main Street Arcade

Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Under intended use, their application states: "Commercial lease space". I don't think residential is part of the plan.
    You can't win them all I guess. I am really surprised that a midrise arts-fartsy tower has not been built on one of the surface parking lots between Main and Colcord Dr. I would think the arts and croissant crowd would love living in close proximity to much of the arts that they fund through philanthropy. Maybe OKC's problem is that the upper-crust is not urban enough (yet).

Remember The Montgomery and The Legacy in that area are both still pretty new but also both very well leased.

I'm sure we'll see more residential in that area soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    You can't win them all I guess. I am really surprised that a midrise arts-fartsy tower has not been built on one of the surface parking lots between Main and Colcord Dr. I would think the arts and croissant crowd would love living in close proximity to much of the arts that they fund through philanthropy. Maybe OKC's problem is that the upper-crust is not urban enough (yet).
    There is one mixed use development between main and colcord just west of Walker. I think the problem is that the Montgomery has a lot or residential and this part of downtown is not ready for that much residential. Hopefully soon!! I have always thought that this portion of downtown could be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtLaw View Post
    There is one mixed use development between main and colcord just west of Walker. I think the problem is that the Montgomery has a lot or residential and this part of downtown is not ready for that much residential. Hopefully soon!! I have always thought that this portion of downtown could be amazing!
    what?

the short term hope for more residential is the new city parking garage with residential on top .. just a block east of this site

5. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

1936? I'm really surprised by that. The design of the building seems to me to be more like something from the turn of the 20th Century through maybe the early twenties. I had always suspected it was older.

Read Doug's comments back on page 1 of this thread. The assessor's information is incorrect; the building was built in 1922, and housed Hill's Business College in the late 20s per an ad that Doug included in his post. Downtown Baptist Church members bought it in 1934 but held it as individuals for a short time before deeding it to the church. And the description as having two floors is also incorrect; it was more like 2.5 because of a mezzanine where the original sanctuary was located...

7. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Thanks for confirming that Jim. The design surely says very early twentieth century. I think that building perhaps more than all but two or three left in this city evokes a different time more than any other. So glad to hear there are plans for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtLaw View Post
    Are you referring to the brick condo with a gate along Main? If so, that's just one unit, and the Montgomery has done quite well. I tend to think that proven areas are best for residential development. Downtown's west side has Devon, the new elementary, most cultural amenities, so it is a natural fit for residential - I almost already think of it as the shadier, quieter, more upscale side of downtown. Too bad Trattoria went away.

This project is fantastic. I am elated to see that they're renovating this fantastic property, and I'm extremely curious as to who is renovating this. Surely not Corsair?

It is Corsair.

Wow. Someone help me pick my jaw off the floor...

Way to go Corsair.

11. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

I like Hills Business Colleges old location better.

Main & Broadway

12. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I like Hills Business Colleges old location better.

Main & Broadway
    I wish this building was still here.

Are there any pictures of the interior? Arcade seems to also refer to an architectural style where a building is composed of a series of archways and/or columns ... kind of similar to the exterior of the business college's previous location pic but on the inside???

15. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I wish this building was still here.
    Totally agree!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Heard work has started on this renovation project...

Can anyone confirm?

HangryHippo Guest

Heard work has started on this renovation project...

Can anyone confirm?
    Yep, it's not much, but there's definitely something going on.

18. Default Re: Main Street Arcade Building

Default Re: Main Street Arcade

This is fantastic news as David Wanzer is a great developer and designer.

Such a beautiful, cool building and it will finally be in the hands of someone who will get the renovation done, and do it the right way.

Oklahoma City developer purchases two neglected buildings | NewsOK.com

Glad to see this building finally be renovated. This was the last building we looked for FlashBack RetroPub, before turning to The Rise in Uptown District. We walked the upstairs part of the building that has some of the original wooden floors and it was very cool to see.

21. Default Re: Main Street Arcade

This is fantastic news as David Wanzer is a great developer and designer.

Such a beautiful, cool building and it will finally be in the hands of someone who will get the renovation done, and do it the right way.

Oklahoma City developer purchases two neglected buildings | NewsOK.com
    +1. I'm a big fan of David, who is also just a good dude.

Now this is finally legit. Have to scratch my head why we (including myself) thought it was before. Good to get Corsair out of the way here, like w the Plaza Court, something transformative can happen here.

David Wanzer told me today that this project will be not be fast-moving as they put together a strategy and game plan.

But the main thing is that it will be done right.

24. Default Re: Main Street Arcade

He was kind enough to give me a tour of the building a couple of weeks ago. It confirmed my belief that the building has enormous potential. And also that David is the right guy to lead the project. It's obviously a labor of love for him and regardless of what happens there it will be done right. It's always good to see people who actually care about special buildings gain control of them.

Thread Information