Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: River Towers

Default Re: River Towers

Urbanism has nothing to do with population, building height, or geographic size. It is all about density. Healdton is more urban than most of the area around downtown OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    Development like JTF posted,would even make Spartan happy!Just kiddin' Nick.LOL
    Ha, no kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Ha, no kidding.
    No it wouldn't, he'd still find fault somewhere, wrong color of light poles, font on street signs to bold, trash container to tall, parking in the back not far enough back, etc; etc;

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    No it wouldn't, he'd still find fault somewhere, wrong color of light poles, font on street signs to bold, trash container to tall, parking in the back not far enough back, etc; etc;
    Tool.

Tool.
    Correction, "a tool that's speaks the truth".

6. Default Re: River Towers

JTF - Urbanism also has to have a reason to start up. It doesn't happen in the middle of no where for a reason. And population and land availability DO have EVERYTHING to do with it.

Think about it - you dont' have an urban environment out in a rural town, now do you? Just as I mentioned, as long as land is plentiful and cheap, there's no reason to go UP. Why do you think we have so much of a commercial presense on Memorial Rd or NW Expressway? Look at somewhere like NYC or Tokyo. Land is at a huge premium, so where it makes sense, they go up. In NYC you'll see lowrises in the middle because of bedrock issues. And if you don't think land/population have something to do with it, then go back about 150 years and look at NYC....when there were farms on the land and the highrise hadn't been invented yet.

But anyway, back on topic about C2S....

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    JTF - Urbanism also has to have a reason to start up. It doesn't happen in the middle of no where for a reason. And population and land availability DO have EVERYTHING to do with it.

Think about it - you dont' have an urban environment out in a rural town, now do you?
    Small towns are the most urban. You can walk everywhere you need to go. I lived in Healdton for two years and I could walk to everything.

Blog Entries

Lol. I grew up on a farm. We could walk from the house to the barn, to the chicken house and all the way to the creek. Guess it was more urban than I thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Small towns are the most urban. You can walk everywhere you need to go. I lived in Healdton for two years and I could walk to everything.
    Seriously? A town of 2500 with literally 88%
    poor white only and single family houses. No diversity. No density. No development. And this is more urban development?

Healdton is the same size and population of my subdivision but they also have a post office, bank, restaurants, schools, retailers, etc. You tell me which is more urban. My subdivision has none of those things.

Blog Entries

Healdton is the same size and population of my subdivision but they also have a post office, bank, restaurants, schools, retailers, etc. You tell me which is more urban. My subdivision has none of those things.
    Interesting criteria for defining urban. Guess my neighborhood is uber urban afterall. Good perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Interesting criteria for defining urban. Guess my neighborhood is uber urban afterall. Good perspective.
    Other than race and income, how do you define urban?

Blog Entries

Read! It isnt race and income. It is diversity. Would have the same comments if it were a wealthy Martian ghetto with yards and fences. You can argue class and race if you have no other view, but it is basic definitian of urban...dense, diverse and properly developedl. Hooterville, OK isn't urban. Sorry.

Perth is 94% white. Is it not urban? Tokyo is 99% Asian. Is it not urban?

So now that we have established diversity does not equal urban, what is left?

Blog Entries

You've made the perfect argument. Urban is defined as walkability plus a Walgreens. LOL. Healdton, NYC. No difference. Edmond, Sydney. No difference.

Perth is 94% white. Is it not urban? Tokyo is 99% Asian. Is it not urban?

So now that we have established diversity does not equal urban, what is left?
    There is an established expectation for a city in the U.S. or Europe to pull diversity from the entire world. This expectation does not apply to Japan, a country that has virtually zero multicultural policy to speak of.

There is an established expectation for a city in the U.S. or Europe to pull diversity from the entire world. This expectation does not apply to Japan, a country that has virtually zero multicultural policy to speak of.
    You missed the point and the point is, diversity does not equal urban. Other than the US and Western Europe - every major city in the world is mono-cultural.

I just think that you're making an exaggerated point. Urban means intrinsic things, not any of these cut-and-dry things you've boiled it down to.

What exactly was/is the conceptual use for the River Towers? Residential, office, etc.?

Blog Entries

You missed the point and the point is, diversity does not equal urban. Other than the US and Western Europe - every major city in the world is mono-cultural.
    I am sorry. Thought we were discussing Urbanism expectations in the US. Specifically in OKC.

I felt a cold coming on today so I got in the elevator, went down to the first floor, crossed the street to Walgreens, bought some Wal-born and was back at my desk in under 10 minutes. For dinner I walked over to Giovani's on Chestnut and got two slices of pizza and some garlic bread knots. It was a little cold on the way back so I cut through Macy's. While it might not be for everyone - I loved it.

Huh?

Huh?
    Kerry is explaining his adventures in the big city so us uncivilized people will know what we're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Kerry is explaining his adventures in the big city so us uncivilized people will know what we're missing.
    Well sort of. I was making a quality of life point.

I just think that you're making an exaggerated point. Urban means intrinsic things, not any of these cut-and-dry things you've boiled it down to.
    You are confusing me with Rover. He is the one saying Urban is X, Y, and Z. I am saying urban can exist everywhere and takes many forms. It isn't population, diversity, and tall buildings. It exist in small towns, individual neighborhoods, medium cities, and large cities. In fact, the best large cities are actually just a conglomeration of individual neighborhoods.

Thread Information