Widgets Magazine

Thread: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Jay Guest

Default Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Does downtown have an observation deck in one of the high rises? If not why don't we have one? Every major city has one in one or more of the high rises.

Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Excellent idea. We definitely need one. First National Tower would be awesome.

3. Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Unfortunately, we do not. The Petroleum Club on the 35th floor of the Bank One Tower used to let people gaze out over Oklahoma City so long as you asked, but they don't even let you through the doors anymore unless you are a member.

Kerr McGee does not allow non-employees in their tower. Oklahoma Tower I'm not sure about, and the interior mazes in First National Tower and City Place prevent you from even looking out a decent sized window. That pretty much eliminates any options downtown.

We need a new tower, one that is user friendly to residents, office tennants and is appealing to tourists, offering a public observation deck.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

hmm, that would be nice to have... would give a awesome view.

5. Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

There used to be one in the Beacon Club on the 33rd floor of First National Centre. I remember going up there as a teen and marveling about being on top of the world, in a skyscraper.

Im sure the club has closed down and the space is probably filled with cob webs and junk. Im not really sure why we dont treasure buildings like this. Who cares about Class A layout anymore? With the recent terror attacks, open floor space just is not as safe as it used to be.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

[/QUOTE]Excellent idea. We definitely need one. First National Tower would be awesome.[QUOTE]

Luke the magnificent mindreader

The Beacon Club moved to the Oklahoma Tower, or at least they have a plaque at street level indicating such.

By the looks of the top of 1st National, there is some kind of impressive facility up there. Unfortunately, the only part of that tower that I've really been in is the downstairs and the old bank lobby.

Patrick Guest

I hate to bring this up again, but this is why mranderson and I brought up the oil tower concept many years ago. We saw the need for an observation deck downtown, and an oil tower fit our history more than just about anything else. Of course, at the time we discussed this (on OKC City Hall Talkback forum) we had other ideas as well....a huge clock tower, a huge bell tower, etc.

We were just trying to come up with something different from the typical space needle found in Seattle and San Antonio.

We had proposed a 500 foot oil derrick tower, complete with a restauant at the top, an observation deck, a gift shop, and a small Oklahoma museum. We tried to get corporations to sponsor the idea, but none were interested. I even had a few corporations laugh at me, Conoco-Phillips being one of them.

We wanted it to be located near downtown, but more likely close to the river, so it woold still show up in pics of the skyline but wouldn't be overshadowed by other buildings, so it couldn't be seen in certain views of the skyline. Luke Corbett at Kerr McGee liked the ideas but said one corporatino couldn't sponsor a project of that magnitude by itself. Thus, they came up with the Bell Tower Centennial project instead!

9. Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

When I get rich I'll be the first sponsor of such an observation landmark as an oil tower. No kidding, I'm being serious.

Patrick Guest

Funny thing...I put a request in to the Kirkpatrick foundation...now obviously they can't even fork over enough money to keep the Omniplex running. I guess an oil derrick would've never been in their interest!

11. Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Have you talked to Cornett about this idea? Myself and a group of about 9 other people came up with some plans for possible landmark type developments for downtown. One being a large tower with observation deck resturaunt, etc. out of all our proposals he seemed to be most interested inthis one. i'd send him an e-mail.

12. Post Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    The Beacon Club moved to the Oklahoma Tower, or at least they have a plaque at street level indicating such.

By the looks of the top of 1st National, there is some kind of impressive facility up there. Unfortunately, the only part of that tower that I've really been in is the downstairs and the old bank lobby.
    Yes Midtowner,

the top of the First National Centre (32 and 33rd floors) used to be the Beacon Club. As you can tell from the windows, it is very very nice, posh. But Im sure it has gone awaste as the building owner refuses to update the space. Im positive that is why the club moved to OK Tower if it is still there.

Then again, the club could have closed due to the dominance of the Petroleum Club - and its Windows Above the World location attop Chase Tower - OKC tallest building. It really is hard to compete with the Petroleum Club!

13. Lightbulb Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortal
    Have you talked to Cornett about this idea? Myself and a group of about 9 other people came up with some plans for possible landmark type developments for downtown. One being a large tower with observation deck resturaunt, etc. out of all our proposals he seemed to be most interested inthis one. i'd send him an e-mail.
    Thanks for this information. Patrick, I remember those discussions about the Oil Derrick. Maybe Anderson could revise this plan and we could present it to Cornett.

A 650 ft Oil Derrick landmark would make a WONDERFUL addition to Downtown Oklahoma City as we celebrate our state centennial!

Continue the Renaissance!!!!!

Hmm, I think a 650 ft. mixed-use tower with offices, hotel, and condos with an observation deck/restaurant/bar would help downtown OKC a lot more than an oil derrick ever would.

15. Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

I've created conceptual drawings of a 780 ft. tower with office, retail and residential, 63 stories tall. One day, it may be built.

16. Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Hey, that works too.

But I think from a municipal standpoint (hence Cornett), a downtown landmark showcasing the city is more feasible than an office tower. It gives the city "identity" and would probably be easier to fund (similar to our [Seattle] Space Needle, which was municipal funded).

But I hope both proposals (780 ft mixed use tower with obs deck and Anderson's 650+ ft Oil Derrick landmark) could be realized!

Continue the Renaissance!

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD
    Thanks for this information. Patrick, I remember those discussions about the Oil Derrick. Maybe Anderson could revise this plan and we could present it to Cornett.

A 650 ft Oil Derrick landmark would make a WONDERFUL addition to Downtown Oklahoma City as we celebrate our state centennial!

Continue the Renaissance!!!!!

Actually I'm the one that came up with all of the plans several years ago. I even went as far as getting a fellow draftsman friend to draw up some pics. I forwarded them to practically every CEO at the time, and every city leader, many still on the council. I got rejection letters in th email for days, and finally gave up.

Also, every council member told me they felt there were greater needs in our city, and the Crystal Bridge was our landmark. I guess I could try submitting the request to Mayor Cornett, but I'm really beginning to wonder if maybe some of the council members were right...maybe we do have some other priorities we need to take care of first, namely city beautification.

18. Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

I appreciate the credit, however, Patrick is correct. It was his idea. We ran with it and as he said, we had resistance. In part due to some hijacking of the message board we had at that time. The people that counted thought we were a joke and did not take us seriously.

I still think it is a great idea. It would draw tourists from around the world.

I agree with mranderson, I think it is a great idea. It would draw tourists from around the world.

Patrick, care to post what the draftsman friend draw up??

Patrick Guest

Too large to post. Besides, it would take forever to dig it up..it's somewhere in my files.

It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Just typical draftsman drawings lining ou space for the restaurant, observation deck, and gift shop/museum. It was based on a two level format, with the complete structure being 600 feet tall, with 4 glass elevators.

alright. np.

It would have been nice to see that in OKC.

22. Default Re: Is there an observation deck in downtown?

Patrick, don't give up. Don't feel like the idiot. Make them feel like the idiots. Perhaps you might take some lessons from a stubborn person like me. I just sent OKC Beautiful a second letter since I recieved no response.

If you ever want to see a great example of an observation tower, check out the CN Tower in Toronto. My fraternity had us do lunch there at our national convention about 5 years ago.

It had a spectacular view.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse
    Patrick, don't give up. Don't feel like the idiot. Make them feel like the idiots. Perhaps you might take some lessons from a stubborn person like me. I just sent OKC Beautiful a second letter since I recieved no response.
    I applaud you for your dilligence to keep fighting for our city. Maybe I'll once again attempt to make our dream a reality after I get married!

Thread Information