Widgets Magazine

Thread: Visitors coming: Local Things to do. places to eat

Question Visitors coming: Local Things to do. places to eat

I have family coming in to visit that has never been to Oklahoma before. They will be here only 3 to 4 days this spring.

If you had two family members in their early 30's coming to visit that has never been here before, where would you take them, what would you show them around town and where would you dine them? No need to impress these folks with anything "fancy", that does not work for them. History does interest them, as does great food.

I just want to make the most of their time here.

Being I still consider myself new to the area...maybe I can get some Ideas from you that I never thought of. Local favorites etc...

Thanks!

So far I have:

National Memorial
    Myriad Gardens
    POPS and Round Barn
    Take old route 66 up to Price Tower (and a tour of the tower)

Default Re: Visitors coming: Local Things to do. places to eat

Oklahoma History Museum/Complex over by the Capitol.
    If it's around lunchtime, try the potato soup in the little dining area.
    (If they are still serving it.)

Do this loop:
    OKC to Tulsa via Route 66 . . .
    Tulsa to Claremore via Route 66 . . .
    East from Claremore to the road up to Spavinaw (in Prior? the other side of Lake Hudson) . . .
    "North" to Jay . . . Grove . . . (Grand Lake) . . .
    Return to OKC via The Turner Turnpike.
    (Stop and eat at Clanton's in Vinita or "Heritage House"(?) in Claremore)

If it's nice out, the zoo is always a great way to spend an afternoon. I hadn't been for decades and a recent visit was really fantastic. They've done a great job there.

Lunch or drinks at the Skirvin would be a good choice because there is so much character and history.

A drive or walk through Heritage Hills with a stop for a pint or two at McNellie's in Plaza Court and/or a trip to Kaisers across the way.

The Deep Deuce Grill is a great historical setting in a neat emerging neighborhood.

The Sam Noble Museum of Natural History in Norman is very worthwhile; along with a walking tour of OU's North Oval and a stop at Campus Corner. Many great places to eat/drink there and there is some great older architecture in that area.

Walk / drive around Crown Heights then a meal at Iron Starr or Cheever's.

Happy hour at Red on Auto Alley; great historical area and building and great food and drink prices during happy hour. For more casual, you could go to the new Hideaway Pizza on AA.

Twin Peaks

Some great sugggesrions so far...thanks!

It's actually Highway 20/82 from Salina that angles NE to Spavinaw (and on to Jay). A little North of Spavinaw you can stay on 82 and it will take you up to Pensacola Dam (that creates Grand Lake). It is pretty impressive in its way. Then you stay on 28 and it circles back South to 20.

In the Grove area, Har-Ber Village is worth seeing, but this would turn it into a two day trip instead of a one day drive. The "rustic" Honey Creek resort in Grove is one place to stay. The new hotel/resort in/on ShangriLa is probably open by now as well. Should you chose to return to OKC via Old Rt. 66 instead of the turnpike, the detour to Totem Pole Park (outside of Foyil) is worth checking out. It's easy to miss the turn if you aren't looking for the signs.

I know . . . I know . . . This place is about OKC, but the question seemed to be about Oklahoma in general. =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    (..."Heritage House"(?) in Claremore)
    Are you thinking of the Hammett House, next door to the Will Rogers Museum?

Yes. That's the place. Thank you for the correction!

Something real cool to see if they are interested - the dinosaurs at Sam Noble Museum of Natural History. They have some Guiness record setters in there.

To dine - I'd say for taste and value, Charlestons.
    Last edited by Bellaboo; 10-27-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add word

Another cool place if they don't mind the drive, is the Wichita Wildlife preserve down by Lawton. Drive to the top of Mount Scott, climb Elk Mountain, as Geronimo used too, and then have a longhorn burger at Meers.

If you're visiting Price Tower in Bartlesville, plan on visiting local favorite Murphy's Steak House. The specialty is the Hot Hamburger - Gravy over all. It consists of toast topped with a large hamburger patty (with or without cheese) covered by a mountain of hand cut fries and topped with the best brown gravy I've ever tasted. It's definitely not fancy, but the food is so good! Another favorite is Frank & Lola's in downtown. It's a great place to have a drink and get some really good food. Also, there is the Copper Bar on the 15th floor of the Price Tower. Great views and they serve a pub style menu.

If one is going as far as Bartlesville, might as will make a detour from Route 66 to include Stillwater to tour the Kicker Visitor Center and Museum. The front of the buiding is an interesting architectural sight. http://www.12voltnews.com/?p=14210. Across the street from there is a veterans' memorial.

For some state history, a founder of the Boomer Movement, David Payne is buried in a special plot on the southwest side of Boomer Lake Park. It's interesting how some people tried to come to Oklahoma before the Sooners and they were called the Boomers. Also see Eskimo Joe's, an over hyped, but well known, especially for its T-shirt, bar and restaurant. Not real far from there on Duck St. is the pale yellow house that Garth Brooks and his wife lived in for a year after being rejected by Nashville. The local favorite for pizza is the Hideaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The Sam Noble Museum of Natural History in Norman is very worthwhile; along with a walking tour of OU's North Oval and a stop at Campus Corner. Many great places to eat/drink there and there is some great older architecture in that area.
    The Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art on the OU campus is not to be missed, especially if admission is still free on Tuesday. It's a good place to be enlightened on the work and art of famed architect Bruce Goff.

Some great ideas guys! They will be here the end of this month! I like the dam trip idea...and they want to see the country and old 66 fascintes them. Are the 66 Museums in either Elk City or Clinton worth the drive? They are only going to be here 2 full days. Arriving on a friday morning...leaving Monday afternoon.

Have dinner up in the balcony at the Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Have dinner up in the balcony at the Warren
    or a semi-private party in a director's suite

I'd be happy to help you plan a day in Norman, there is so much to see! Definitely Sam Noble. If they drink, stop by The Mont for a swirl. LOCAL is a new farm to fork restaurant that would be a great experience, as well. Barry Switzer Center & Heisman Park if you are an OU fan.

Thread Information