Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Headquarters

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Police Station & Courthouse

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post
    I see nothing wrong with making the building majestic and inspiring, I just don't find mock ancient architecture to be inspiring in the least. I would love to take a trip to rome and greece for the architecture, the difference is, the columns on the Parthenon, actually served a purpose. There is a difference between finding beauty in function and slapping up fake collumns all around a building because "thats how a government building is supposed to look". I find a building much more inspiring when it is innovative, rather than regurgitated. Would you try to "dress up" a modern day car to make it look like a horse and buggy?
    Actually this anti classic attitude is softening among the architectural circles. It is sort of yesterday's attitude with an awareness that you can actually use old or ancient styles in modern buildings. Leveraging something classic is different than mocking the past. Just do it well if you do classic. To ignore classic design quality is like saying that the only good art these days is electronic, so throw away the oil paints. LOL. Modern day arrogance. There is a reason classics are classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well if you want my real opinion, I think they should occupy those buildings as-is and donate the funds for a new facility to the Emerson Alternative School or to the Little Flower Catholic Church down on S. Walker... but I am NOT surprised that they're going to get a new police HQ after all. I was surprised we had our priorities right in the first place even though the study came back suggesting they spend a lot more money on a new facility. I guess they were trying to pinch pennies to get the bond issue passed. Now the FOP will be enormous hypocrites next time they oppose more quality of life spending...
    So they should continue to operate in facilities that have been deemed inadequate for operations and transfer bond money voted to a specific purpose to whatever random thing decided today.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I am a little tired of all this guns and badges spending when we have terrible police force overlap, all these departments (county, city, suburbs, et al.) are extraordinarily well-equipped, and yet we have the worst school and health system in the NATION. There are like 80 prisons under construction or in planning in Oklahoma right now. Everyone in the state is probably spending more on prisons than on schools right now. How could someone who cares about that NOT be weary by now? Let's just face it. This is an issue that when it comes to it, Okies just suck. I don't know what these people are thinking.
    Corrections is about 7 percent of the state budget, the average city spends more than half it's budget on schools.

I see nothing wrong with historic replication, be it in architecture or automobiles. In fact, I wish he had not just more of it, but a lot more of it.

4. Default Re: New Police Station & Courthouse

I would agree that there isn't anything wrong with using history as an inspiration. Although I do feel like something Roman wouldn't fit in....maybe we could go for something more Art Deco for our own history.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I would agree that there isn't anything wrong with using history as an inspiration. Although I do feel like something Roman wouldn't fit in....maybe we could go for something more Art Deco for our own history.
    Of course historic replication needs to fit in with local history so Art Deco would be fine with me. I could go for something like a scaled down version of Los Angeles City Hall.

7. Default Re: New Police Station & Courthouse

Well i can't say i'm very excited in the design of the buildings...it's just the modern version of what they built before. I don't understand why so little effort is put into municpal buildings. Just because it's government doesn't mean it has to be boring and dull.

Well i can't say i'm very excited in the design of the buildings...it's just the modern version of what they built before. I don't understand why so little effort is put into municpal buildings. Just because it's government doesn't mean it has to be boring and dull.
    again, that is just a conceptual design by an artist, doesn't necessarily mean it will turn out that way. Until they secure an architect of record for the project, I wouldn't get to caught up in the conceptual renderings...

Agreed. Since this is part of the Civic Mall they shoud be Art-Deco.

If this is going to be built downtown it definitely needs more parking. And not a parking garage either, I want a nice shiny parking lot on all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    If this is going to be built downtown it definitely needs more parking. And not a parking garage either, I want a nice shiny parking lot on all sides.
    LOL. If you want a shinny parking lot on all sides then this needs to be relocated to the canal.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I agree, Kerry. The design should at least be Art-Deco inspired or friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This.

But I don't fault them for wanting a building that is essentially a miniature replica of the Pentagon. Well played, OCPD.

This rendering was in the Oklahoman today and I had not seen it previously.

Looks like they plan to build a new city jail between the other two proposed buildings:

15. Default Re: New Police Station & Courthouse

No Pete, that's the old city jail, which has been closed for about a decade. They will not be tearing it down, but rather will be waterproofing it and sealing it in for future consideration for who knows what...

16. Default Re: New Police Station & Courthouse

I was comparing this earlier...

So what is the large building in the middle of the pic (just to the left of the old City Jail that appears to be the start of the bright shiny parking lot Skyline wanted ;-)

on edit: I presume the building is the current police headquarters since it look like it is attached to the old City Jail. They are just flip-floping the building/parking locations??

I guess I have to ask - why tear down the old building at all. Build the new one and re-purpose or sell the old one.

It was going to cost more to renovate the building than to build a new one??? Also, cant just eliminate that surface parking lot, can we??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    It was going to cost more to renovate the building than to build a new one??? Also, cant just eliminate that surface parking lot, can we??? LOL
    Then sell it and use the money to help pay the cost of the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Scary, stop the presses, breaking news:

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post
    Either way, more construction => more density, so it is something to be optomistic about.
    Not really. They'll be tearing down the old facilities, so we'll have another surface parking lot where the old buildings stood. Of course, the new building is being built on a surface parking lot.

Just reading all of this. I know they said Bond Issue, but does anyone else hear a subliminal MAPS 4? Not to be flippant, but I assume this sort of thing would appeal the the police union and minimize the fallout experienced last time.

Granted, I have no real idea. It just seems as though such needs/proposals time out nicely with a future initiative. Thinking about it, we are only 5 years away with the items identified in four- if history is any guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Just reading all of this. I know they said Bond Issue, but does anyone else hear a subliminal MAPS 4? Not to be flippant, but I assume this sort of thing would appeal the the police union and minimize the fallout experienced last time.

Granted, I have no real idea. It just seems as though such needs/proposals time out nicely with a future initiative. Thinking about it, we are only 5 years away with the items identified in four- if history is any guide.
    this will be under construction well before it's time for a MAPS4 election.

The current timeline for MAPS 3 runs through 2021 so I don't think we'll be seeing a MAPS 4 for at least 10 more years.

Thread Information