Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subdivision Naming Contest

1. Default Subdivision Naming Contest

Names of suburban housing developments in Oklahoma are ridiculously deceiving. A few years ago we had an office contest to contrive appropriate names for new subdivisions. Here are a few examples to get the ball rolling…

Jack Pump Acres
    Mud Pond Vista
    Godforsaken Acres from Hell
    Cracked Dirt Estate

...have fun.

Default Re: Subdivision Naming Contest

Where Boring People live
    Every Other House looks the same ville
    Nothing to do out here after 6pm
    Ghetto in 30 years
    Underwhelming Acres
    Unimaginative Estates

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Every Other House looks the same ville
    This.

If anybody ever gets a chance, there's a subdivision in Edmond on Coltrane halfway between 2nd and Danforth on the east side of the road.

It's name... "Morning Woods".

The funniest part is that the subdivision used to have a different name. THEY ACTUALLY CHANGED IT TO THAT!

Isn't there one up on the northside called Morning Wood? I'm serious, thought I've seen it mentioned here in the past.

One of my friends from England always makes fun of our completely manufactured names for places, including cities: Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Thousand Oaks, etc.

Subdivisions are worse, always trying to borrow from something that is perceived as prestigious often combined with a geographic feature which usually isn't even found in the development: X Hill(s), X Brook, X Springs, X Heights, X Park, X Creek, X View, X Heights, etc.

I grew up in Cherokee Hills and could never find one hill, let alone multiples. And there certainly weren't any Cherokees.

In the sit-com Arrested Development their subdivision was called Sudden Valley and was located in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

Subdivisions are worse, always trying to borrow from something that is perceived as prestigious often combined with a geographic feature which usually isn't even found in the development: X Hill(s), X Brook, X Springs, X Heights, X Park, X Creek, X View, X Heights, etc.

Or what about "Hidden Creek" for the development at 10th and Sooner that floods every time a few drops of rain hit....

9. Default Re: Subdivision Naming Contest

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Isn't there one up on the northside called Morning Wood? I'm serious, thought I've seen it mentioned here in the past.
    Yes. Morning Woods is located off of Coltrane between 2nd and Danforth.

Subdivision developers try to envoke the idea of traditional neighborhood development by coming up with these names. Of course, no subdivision can do that which is why the original first generation owners grow tired of the place after 5 to 10 years and try their luck at the next new subdivision 5 miles further out.

When are you going to learn estates
    Another Town Center (which isn't in the center of town)
    1/5 Acre Estates
    City View Estates (usually 20 miles in the country)
    I Like to Drive Island
    No Corner Store Corners
    Five Miles for Nowhere Hills

11. Default Re: Subdivision Naming Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I Like to Drive Island
    No Corner Store Corners
    Excellent!

Invasive Cedar Prairie
    Coyotes Swale
    Rangeland Estates

Some of the names remind me of a Benny Hill skit....
    I just love my farm...Passing Wind.....

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I Like to Drive Island
    No Corner Store Corners
    Excellent!

Invasive Cedar Prairie
    Coyotes Swale
    Rangeland Estates
    Come on - you didn't like 1/5 Acre Estates? When I think of estates I always measure them in fractions of an acre.

Secret Springs . . .
    (Buy Flood Insurance regardless of The History Maps)

Quaker Acres
    (Out there around Jones and Prague)

Burning Fallen Cedars
    (GoogleMap it)

Mourning Willows

Horned Toad's Retreat

Aubreyville Park

Southeast Midwest City Dells II

The Point Two-O
    (a casual response to urban sprawl, thanks, jtf =)

Shadow Valley
    (if you lived here you'd be home by now....)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    One of my friends from England always makes fun of our completely manufactured names for places, including cities: Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Thousand Oaks, etc.

I grew up in Cherokee Hills and could never find one hill, let alone multiples. And there certainly weren't any Cherokees.

In the sit-com Arrested Development their subdivision was called Sudden Valley and was located in California.
    The English don't have much room to talk. I visited my cousin a few times in England when she and her husband were living in Maidenhead.

Quote Originally Posted by wdj View Post
    If anybody ever gets a chance, there's a subdivision in Edmond on Coltrane halfway between 2nd and Danforth on the east side of the road.

It's name... "Morning Woods".

The funniest part is that the subdivision used to have a different name. THEY ACTUALLY CHANGED IT TO THAT!
    My wife's uncle lives there. All he does is shake his head when someone brings it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    My wife's uncle lives there. All he does is shake his head when someone brings it up.
    Sounds like a good name for a retirement village with smoking hot nurses.

Shakey Acres (in honor of the recent seismic activity)
    Muddy Fountain Estates (seen a few of these in artificial lakes around town)
    Cookie Cutter Corner
    Sprawl View
    SUV Heights
    Dead Tree
    Isolation Heights

19. Default Re: Subdivision Naming Contest

Why is there so much dislike for those of us that don't WANT to live downtown?

20. Default Re: Subdivision Naming Contest

MacArthur at about 128th (between 122nd and Memorial) there is St. John's Wood - I've seen the Morning Woods too, both of which I just smh and refrain from asking why.

At least St. John's Wood is a real city in England.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Why is there so much dislike for those of us that don't WANT to live downtown?
    That name is kind of long for a subdivision - but what the heck - 2 points.

Ths issue really isn't that there is a dislike of people who choose suburbia, it is that when the urbanites complain about suburban style projects being constructed in urban areas we get an ear full about how ungrateful we are. So to get "even", we laugh at subdivisions using names to create a sense of place that doesn't really exist - sometimes even using traditional urban names to do so. You have to appreciate the irony.

We once lived in a subdivision called Charleston Corners and the marketing material envoked the imagery of Charleston, SC with kids riding their bike to the store/school, people walking to the stores, and couple talking an evening stroll. Only problem was there was no nearby school or store to ride/walk to and no place worth strolling to. Just drive to work, drive home, and sit in the house until it was time to do Saturday yardwork.

This reminds me that I wish the Vineyard neighborhood in Norman would change all of its street names to "Clam Chowda Ct.," and "Whatayou, Retahdid? Way," etc--if they're really serious about invoking that bucolic New England imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This reminds me that I wish the Vineyard neighborhood in Norman would change all of its street names to "Clam Chowda Ct.," and "Whatayou, Retahdid? Way," etc--if they're really serious about invoking that bucolic New England imagery.
    Do they have a "Quinzee Street by da pahk?"

Du'Maz V'Lage by le creek . . .

Thread Information