Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Proposes 125' Cell Phone Tower in SOSA

Default AT&T Proposes 125' Cell Phone Tower in SOSA

A friend just forwarded me an application that may be going before the Planning Commission Sept 9th.

It indicates AT&T has "grand plans" for a 125' monopole, standard cell phone tower between 5th and 6th Streets mid-block at Francis in SOSA.

This is directly behind City Glass at the alley.

To me, the idea of this "visual pollution" would be a travesty to all the development occuring in the area.

2. Default Re: AT&T Proposes 125' Cell Phone Tower in SOSA

I assume you do not have a cell phone.

It is not visual pollution. We hardly notice these towers.

Default Re: AT&T Proposes 125' Cell Phone Tower in SOSA

Yes, I do have a cell phone. I'm using it now. The contract has expired and it is with AT&T. Hmmmm...

In other communities antennae are "hidden" inside bell towers and such. The proposed location is at the base of a hill. It seems that this tower will be noticed by a great many people.

Twenty years ago I worked for a firm in Dallas that did the design for most of these towers in North Texas, that firm eventually became a different one that does nothing but cell sites. We had several hidden installations and many of rooftops of office buildings. We did one inside the steeple of the large church on Northwest Highway (Loop 12) in the Highland Park are because they did not allow tower installations, most there are on or in a building. It can be done but it costs more, land leases/installations are usually cheaper and less complicated than rooftop leases. Kind of like the Bricktown parking garage, they are going for the cheap and easy installation at first and more than likely have a backup plan already considered should that be denied. There is no reason for a monopole or lattice tower installation in that area other than it is cheaper and easier.

No doubt. I actually did the bells in that church years ago. Methodist Church I think.

For me personally, I have great disdain for NIMBYISM. However, I also yearn for the days and attitudes in which executives took a bit more pride in trying to build infrastructure in a more positive way. Even if it's a "feeble" attempt at that involving bushes and a decent fence screen.

It seems that the cell developers are the absolute worst in proposing the cheapest design and only "give in" when they meet serious community opposition.

Thunder is wrong about people not noticing these sites. They become very obvious when you are scouting an area in search of property to develop. In SOSA, this is particularly important. So if it goes in as planned, it probably will directly affect the financial viability of adjacent property and those properties in the "sight line" of the downtown skyline. My guess is that as long as the western side of downtown does not "decline" anymore, we would see more development around Classen.

Projects such of these without any aesthetic sensitivity will simply reinforce the western side as a hardened, industrial area thus limiting viability.

Yeah, this is insane.

Not saying there aren't better ways to do them for those that it does bother either. But I rarely notice cell towers so I guess I am in the minority on this one. Not saying I would necessarily want one in my backyard, but as long as they were willing to pay to put it there, I would probably be ok with it. LOL

8. Default Re: AT&T Proposes 125' Cell Phone Tower in SOSA

How do people not notice cell phone towers? They aren't microbial. 125 ft? Yeah, I bet your money you'll notice this one. This kinda irks me too, knowing that it's integral for functioning as infrastructure, but why does it have to be placed there? Fact is AT&Tmobile doesn't give a crap what it looks like or how it may affect surrounding development, because little Oklahoma City doesn't mean anything to them.

Can't tell ya why, I just rarely do is all. I notice telephone/utility poles, TV/Radio towers etc so I don't know why I have a block against cell phone ones. LOL

is this a tall skinny open brace metal tower that gets narrower as it goes up, or a single pole with cell equipment on top? Monopole suggests the latter to me, but I'm fairly tower/pole blind myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Not saying there aren't better ways to do them for those that it does bother either. But I rarely notice cell towers so I guess I am in the minority on this one. Not saying I would necessarily want one in my backyard, but as long as they were willing to pay to put it there, I would probably be ok with it. LOL
    Larry you're in the minority on most urban issues.

Jeff, is there a petition going around? You and I both own property within a block or so away. I'd be glad to sign it.

Thunder, quit the drivel.

12. Default Re: AT&T Proposes 125' Cell Phone Tower in SOSA

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Can't tell ya why, I just rarely do is all. I notice telephone/utility poles, TV/Radio towers etc so I don't know why I have a block against cell phone ones. LOL
    I see. Understandably, towers of all sorts litter our urban environments and I think we just become adjusted to them over time. Yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

Jeff, is there a petition going around? You and I both own property within a block or so away. I'd be glad to sign it.

Fortunately, my property is two blocks away and it is behind me. It doesn't disturb my view at 5th/Dewey. So for me, this is two part-

1. All around downtown/SOSA issue
    2. Wanting to know what our city's general policy is on these things

Regarding "monopole", my guess is it will probably be like the one at 23rd/Walker on the edge of Paseo but taller. Someone told me on Facebook, I quote "that it is only 80" as if that's supposed to help. Lol. But then I checked their site plan application and it denotes 125'.

Also, compared to permitting I have gone through for our company, the filing by the applicant seems extemely lacking in any real detail such as elevation drawings. If our friend making light of a 80' pole somehow denoted somewhere, it might be intentionally misleading. Always refer to the site plan. That is what the inspector will go by. Not the written description.

Regarding a petition, don't know of one. Just attend the meeting I suggest or have letters written.

AT&T constructed a 90" pole on property my step dad owns, it's disguised as a flag pole. They even included the large flag, and have replaced it twice when flag became tattered

Blog Entries

Are there any codes or restrictions in place in the inner city? Or anywhere in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I was on the "urban" side during the SandRidge mess. One reason may be that I have never viewed OKC as being "urban" (New York, Chicago etc), we are primarily a suburban or rural city. I understand the inherent contradiction of terms, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Are there any codes or restrictions in place in the inner city? Or anywhere in the city?
    Their does not seem to be much restrictions once you are a just outside the downtown core but it is hard to say how many of those would still pass today given that urban planning is a much higher priority than it was just five to ten years ago. Even in the downtown area their is some with no attempt to hide the one east of lower bricktown or the one near Dewey and Reno. There are a few downtown on buildings: the AT&T, building Pinnacle Towers & Oklahoma Gas And Electric Co. Tower.

Allowing the tower to be constructed at this location would be a huge step backwards. The proposed location is relatively undeveloped and has nothing but great potential which will be seriously stifled if the tower goes in. The tower could easily be located in the already developed industrial area a few blocks to the east or atop any number of downtown buildings.

The case comes before the Planning Commission on September 8th at 1:30 PM. The more people who attend and object the better. If you can't make it you can email your concerns to staff member J.J. Chambless at 'jj.chambless@okc.gov' In any communication with staff you should reference: CASE SP-441 - By applicant: AT&T mobility. Deadline to submit materials by email is Friday, Sept. 2nd at noon.

This is just funny. 125 foot cell phone tower is actually shorter than most that are 140 feet. These people that complain about cell phone towers making the area look bad are the same type of people that live for home owners associations HOA. You know them... They are the ones that feel they have some right to tell other people what they can do with their own property.

A person spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home and then some holier than thou HOA member wants to tell them what they can do with their own property. Then they go around telling people that they are "PROGRESSIVE". Yeah... Progressive as in Communist. Before you start in on the argument that a person voluntarily joins an HOA when they buy their house, that too is hogwash. The only way they can do that is to either buy an old home, or build in the country. GASP! Did he say build in the country? That is SPRAWL! He is speaking blasphemy! A person in America would be hard pressed to find a SINGLE "new" home in a residential neighborhood that is not covenant restricted, HOA. This is something that I am very passionate about and do not care if I offend anyone or not. If you don't like the tower, then close your eyes.

Same with the HOA BS. If I want to line my front yard with refigerators, it is my business. There is no such thing as a right to property values. Especially when it come at the cost of your neighbor's freedoms. Property values are and should always be secondary to freedom.

I say build the cell phone tower and make it 200 feet just to irritate these holier than thou Communists that feel they have ANY say in what someone else does with their property. Start the flame war because I am ready for all you PROGRESSIVES (cough cough).

Three terrorists with tiny flame throwers couldn't pull off a hijack any better than that. Well played, well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    For me personally, I have great disdain for NIMBYISM.
    How about BIMBYISM - as in - Better in my back yard. There are a lot of things that could be done with a 125' tower. How about if red letters were put on it that spelled out MIDTOWN in a vertical fashion. Then it would become iconic. Led lights could also be installed that would animate it at night. It could be painted alternating red and white for view during the day. We have one of these towers just south of downtown Jax that is red and white. It always reminds me of Tokyo Tower. Checkout the Biltmore radio towers in Midtown Atlanta for some ideas.

22. Default Re: AT&T Proposes 125' Cell Phone Tower in SOSA

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    How about BIMBYISM - as in - Better in my back yard. There are a lot of things that could be done with a 125' tower. How about if red letters were put on it that spelled out MIDTOWN in a vertical fashion. Then it would become iconic. Led lights could also be installed that would animate it at night. It could be painted alternating red and white for view during the day. We have one of these towers just south of downtown Jax that is red and white. It always reminds me of Tokyo Tower. Checkout the Biltmore radio towers in Midtown Atlanta for some ideas.
    I actually don't totally hate that idea...interesting.

Heck, spend a little money and do this

Quote Originally Posted by plmccordj View Post
    This is just funny. 125 foot cell phone tower is actually shorter than most that are 140 feet. These people that complain about cell phone towers making the area look bad are the same type of people that live for home owners associations HOA. You know them... They are the ones that feel they have some right to tell other people what they can do with their own property.

A person spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home and then some holier than thou HOA member wants to tell them what they can do with their own property. Then they go around telling people that they are "PROGRESSIVE". Yeah... Progressive as in Communist. Before you start in on the argument that a person voluntarily joins an HOA when they buy their house, that too is hogwash. The only way they can do that is to either buy an old home, or build in the country. GASP! Did he say build in the country? That is SPRAWL! He is speaking blasphemy! A person in America would be hard pressed to find a SINGLE "new" home in a residential neighborhood that is not covenant restricted, HOA. This is something that I am very passionate about and do not care if I offend anyone or not. If you don't like the tower, then close your eyes.

Same with the HOA BS. If I want to line my front yard with refigerators, it is my business. There is no such thing as a right to property values. Especially when it come at the cost of your neighbor's freedoms. Property values are and should always be secondary to freedom.

I say build the cell phone tower and make it 200 feet just to irritate these holier than thou Communists that feel they have ANY say in what someone else does with their property. Start the flame war because I am ready for all you PROGRESSIVES (cough cough).
    I think there is a big difference between a suburban HOA issue and your issues with HOA's in general. As I stated earlier, I detest NIMBYISM in general.

We're talking about a well funded nationwide corporation planning to add a brutalist electronic device to our dowtown skyline with no attempt at remotely creating something they can be proud of.

Neon letters, a vintage "radio" tower design, a fiberglass church steeple, or mounting antennae to an existing building seem like reasonable ideas to integrate a meaningful device while establishing customer loyalty via the visible effort.

Now regarding Progressives, I consider myself one. I believe in tradittional Democratic ideals, particularly good Public Works in infrastructure.

I guess you want to lump all of us together and douse your fellow countrymen in gasoline. Thanks for that. We appreciate your hate. I am sure that my grandparents would be thrilled to know their difficult immigration to this country, their sacrifice in war, has borne a third generation of communists.

Get a grip dude. Subdue your hate.

Can someone answer this: aren't things like electrical substations, cell phone towers, "brutalist" architecture, graffiti inspired building exterior "art", overhead wires on streetcars, etc, part and parcel of what defines "urban"? Part of the urban experience is embracing the what some would consider the uglier side of City life?

Thread Information