Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

Interesting article in today's DO regarding selling wine in Grocery Stores. It appears that the OKC Chamber of Commerce prefers to get an initiative petition started versus the current task force committee they currently have started. It appears that Costco wants to open up shop in Oklahoma with "well above wages" based upon Oklahoma standards, however they want the liquor laws changed so they are able to open in Oklahoma. Trader Joes is considering opening stores as well, however, it comes down to the States "archaic liquor laws. I believe an initiative petition should get started and let the voters and the will of the people decide either for or against. What are your thoughts? People in Oklahoma generally complain about lack of good stores and retail options available, maybe a good start is to sign the petition once it gets started.

http://newsok.com/chamber-wants-wine...adlines_widget
    Last edited by progressiveboy; 08-21-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: add link

Default Re: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

I have no faith in our legislature to do the right thing. I would therefore be happy to sign a petition.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    ....I believe an initiative petition should get started and let the voters and the will of the people decide either for or against.
    This!

Some wage competition in our retailers would be fantastic.

This was brought up by someone in an older thread about our "archaic" laws. They mentioned that Costco has locations with laws similar to ours. What about Trader Joes? While I can understand it being an added high profit revenue stream for them, if they can make it work in other places why not here. In other words, why rule Oklahoma out?

6. Default Re: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

Only one can be at fault. Costco. They can whine all they want, but they are to be blamed for not opening a location in Oklahoma. Liquor are not required to be an established successful business. Look at the numerous businesses in Oklahoma thriving without liquor sales. Wake up, Costco! Get your butts to Oklahoma and become established. Only then will the push for a change in Oklahoma's liquor laws can be likely to be changed with the strong presence of supporting businesses. Enough said.

(Feel free to forward this post to Costco Administration.)

7. Default Re: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

The only two national stores we are missing here in OKC for me! Love them both a ton and hope they come here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    The only two national stores we are missing here in OKC for me! Love them both a ton and hope they come here soon.
    Trader Joes announced last week they are scouting OKC locations.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Trader Joes announced last week they are scouting OKC locations.
    I don't mean to dissect your words, but when you say "Trader Joe's" announced last week that they are scouting OKC locations, I don't think that sounds accurate. There is a huge difference with a developer or a broker exploring the possibility of landing a TJ and them "announcing" they are scouting "locations". They generally don't use local brokers, for one. They use a third party real estate development consultant to do their placements. That third party may be looking broadly at OKC, and Tulsa for that matter, but that is much different than "scouting locations". Most importantly, Trader Joe's, nor their trusted representatives, NEVER announces anything speculative. They are notoriously secretive. They only way this gets out is if they are meeting with a developer, and he/she yaps about it... at that point the deal is usually done. Anyway, I hope it is true that they are looking at Oklahoma.

The only hurdle I see is distribution. Not food, but liquor. Even if they can circumvent the liquor laws somehow here, or even if the law changes to allow grocery stores to carry wine, Oklahoma will still be a 4 tier (liquor) distribution system. Trader Joe's will have to use one of the established wine distributors here, (because the law states you cannot be a distributor AND a retailer) and that is not their preferred model. Whole Foods doesn't care as much because they always use an outside distributor.

The local market is saturated with similar types of stores.
    There more than a few empty buildings that these types of stores once occupied, we don’t need any more empty box stores.
    If it takes changing our liquor laws to make them profitable something seems wrong with the way they do business.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    If it takes changing our liquor laws to make them profitable something seems wrong with the way they do business.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Why?
    I may have missed it but I haven’t heard of any of the other big box stores wanting our liquor laws changed.
    Evidently they do well enough to make a reasonably profit in Oklahoma.

The better question is why Costco can’t make an acceptable profit inn Oklahoma without liquor sales?

As with any business the margins of profitability have a lot to do with the way the business is operated.
    If we change our liquor laws the other big stores will start selling it and probably eliminate any Costco advantage.
    Besides... I can’t believe that liquor, wine and beer sales would make up a very large percentage of their total sales.

I may have missed it but I haven’t heard of any of the other big box stores wanting our liquor laws changed.

The better question is why Costco can’t make an acceptable profit inn Oklahoma without liquor sales?

As with any business the margins of profitability have a lot to do with the way the business is operated.
    If we change our liquor laws the other big stores will start selling it and probably eliminate any Costco advantage.
    Besides... I can’t believe that liquor, wine and beer sales would make up a very large percentage of their total sales.
    Yes. You missed it.

Why does that matter? Aren't you in favor of less restricted markets?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Why does that matter? Aren't you in favor of less restricted markets?
    Why does it matter?

I would want to know why Costco apparently says they can’t make an acceptable profit in Oklahoma without liquor sales when others can before I ever bought Costco stock.

The local market is saturated with similar types of stores.
    There more than a few empty buildings that these types of stores once occupied, we don’t need any more empty box stores.
    OK does NOT have anything similar to Costco, and don't say SAMs, not close.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    OK does NOT have anything similar to Costco, and don't say SAMs, not close.
    Maybe I’m wrong? I have an open mind. What makes Costco different?
    What can I buy at Costco that I can’t already buy somewhere in the OKC area?

Thanks

18. Default Re: Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?

Another law needs to be changed as well. In most all the other states if not all of them, places like Costco, Sam's Sears, etc can sell eyeglasses. Here you have to go to an optical shop or your own optician or ophthalmologist to get your glasses. I saw some beautiful frames I liked at Costco recently, and bought some previous glasses at a Sam's in Joplin. If we are going to get some of the shopping choices like we want like Costco etc, we are going to have to change the laws to be able to sell alcohol at places other than package stores and buy glasses at regular retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    Another law needs to be changed as well. In most all the other states if not all of them, places like Costco, Sam's Sears, etc can sell eyeglasses. Here you have to go to an optical shop or your own optician or ophthalmologist to get your glasses. I saw some beautiful frames I liked at Costco recently, and bought some previous glasses at a Sam's in Joplin. If we are going to get some of the shopping choices like we want like Costco etc, we are going to have to change the laws to be able to sell alcohol at places other than package stores and buy glasses at regular retailers.
    Wine yes, but I'll leave my eyesight to the professionals.

What makes Costco different?
    COSTCO in 2010 achieved $825 per sf of sales which is pretty impressive for their 160,000 sf stores. Sam's was $616. As an aside Trader Joe's is estimated to be about $1750 per sf which is more than twice what Whole Foods achieves.

COSTCO philosophy is to buy a relatively few products at a low price, mark them up 14% or 15%, and sell a bunch of each. There is usually not a lot of variety nor is there much in the way of convenience, comfort or help to the shopper.

The small business owner is the preferred customer type. I remember one example I read that COSTCO had made a special purchase of Polo shirts that were priced about 40% less than normal but still relatively expensive for a shirt.

The house brand is Kirkland Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    COSTCO in 2010 achieved $825 per sf of sales which is pretty impressive for their 160,000 sf stores. Sam's was $616. As an aside Trader Joe's is estimated to be about $1750 per sf which is more than twice what Whole Foods achieves.

COSTCO philosophy is to buy a relatively few products at a low price, mark them up 14% or 15%, and sell a bunch of each. There is usually not a lot of variety nor is there much in the way of convenience, comfort or help to the shopper.

The small business owner is the preferred customer type. I remember one example I read that COSTCO had made a special purchase of Polo shirts that were priced about 40% less than normal but still relatively expensive for a shirt.

The house brand is Kirkland Signature.
    To grow so big Costco has obviously done something right but from your post it sounds like they might sale higher end products.
    Is there enough wealth in the OKC area to support the Costco way of doing business?

Maybe I’m wrong? I have an open mind. What makes Costco different?

Thanks
    Non-poverty hourly employees?

There is only one similar store to Costco already in Oklahoma, that is Sam's Club. I am a member at both.

Sad it's going to be fall of NEXT year before it might get on ballot

The 'central planners' disgusied as conservatives on here are disgusting. Selling wine and eyeglasses in Oklahoma is legal and the state just decideds who gets to sell them. The State needs to get out of the way, it isn't their job to decide that, it is the consumers job.

Thread Information