Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nichols Hills Plaza

Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

And remember, Cheasapeake has always been so vague and tight-lipped about any of their larger plans that even the OKC Planning Commission threatened to withhold approvals.

CHK basically replied, "We don't have a bigger plan, but close 20 streets and let us demolish dozens of structures anyway".

And when pressed, they have either lied (sure Crescent is gone and so is the lunch counter but both will be replaced by Fall of 2012) or have completely evaded direct questions.

I am not aware of the City of NH denying a single application from Chesapeake. All they did was raise some concerns about some very ambitious and pretty vague plans, and those worries certainly seem more than justified given the fact there are grassy lots surrounding the plaza, and some have been there for almost 10 years.

2. Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

The property tax cuts for Nicolas Hills sound pretty significant. Has the city had to cut back on any services as a result of the lost tax revenues.

3. Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

I just heard that Trader Joes is going into the old Crescent Market location

Hope that's true!

Would be a perfect fit all around.

Agreed!

Blog Entries

Perfect size and location.

7. Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

Agreed, that would be a great fit.

I noticed that they have made more headway on the renovation in general on that side (at least since I've seen it last). It looked like they were putting in larger, solid pieces of glass all along the shops on the south side of the plaza.. similar to how CK & Co. is. When you see it next to the windows they haven't updated yet it looks like a great, more modern update.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I just heard that Trader Joes is going into the old Crescent Market location
    That's probably the best place I can think of right now to put it. Downtown needs a grocery store but I would much rather see a Buy for Less Uptown Grocery there than a Trader Joe's.

In case you didn't see it on the other thread (http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic...er-joes-3.html), Trader Joes IS NOT coming to Nichols Hills Plaza.

And the related story by Brianna and Steve. The full article is not available yet for nonsubscribers.

Unfinished business: Nichols Hills waits for grocery store | News OK

Angry Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

Noticed Monday that the NH Cleaners is gone. Remodel had already begun.

New Retail Expected For Classen Curve, Nichols Hills Plaza

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 3:20 PM PST
    By Michael Konopasek, News 9 - bio | email

OKLAHOMA CITY - New big-name stores may soon call the Oklahoma City metropolitan area home. Negotiations to sell Chesapeake-owned Nichols Hills Plaza, Classen Curve and neighboring properties are nearing a close, according to sources close to the process.

Ohio-based company, Glimcher Realty Trust, is promising a renaissance of sorts in an area where stores have been closing. Glimcher has confirmed to News 9 that it is working to acquire 290,000 sq. ft. of retail that includes all of Classen Curve, the triangle-shaped development where Whole Foods is located, neighboring undeveloped land and Nichols Hills Plaza.

"It's going to be fantastic to see what happens here," shopper Steve Faulkner said.

Glimcher is a company that owns 25 properties across the country, featuring high-end shops and restaurants. Current store owners in Nichols Hills Plaza tell News 9 they are excited for the change.

"[The] last couple of years have been very challenging," Saturn Grill owner Joseph Royer said.

Royer says Chesapeake's sky-high rent has been forcing business owners to throw in the towel over the last few years.

"To me, it was silly to get into the real estate business when they were doing so well in oil and natural gas," said Royer. "They (Chesapeake) were not the best landlords I've ever had."

Glimcher tells News 9 it is too early to be discussing new tenants just yet. However, a company spokesperson says people should not to be surprised to see names the Glimcher already partners with -- such as Nike, The North Face, Brooks Brothers, Crate & Barrel and Madewell.

"I definitely would like to shop at those stores," one shopper said.

Currently, Classen Curve is underdeveloped. Nichols Hills Plaza is roughly half vacant, which threatened the City of Nichols Hills with a deficit over less tax revenue. Sources close to the negotiations tell News 9 a deal may be reached in a matter of days or weeks.

Chesapeake began selling property around its Oklahoma City campus in 2013 after former CEO Aubrey McClendon left the company

14. Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

OK...THAT'S what I'm talking about.

There we go.

16. Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

Gotta say...I feel better about this situation with this development than I did even when Aubrey was in charge and riding high. The problem with that was there was such a veil of mystery that you never knew exactly what was going to happen. I'll bet if this sale goes through we will all have a really good idea of the future of this land...in a very short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    New Retail Expected For Classen Curve, Nichols Hills Plaza

Posted: Feb 14, 2014 3:20 PM PST
    By Michael Konopasek, News 9 - bio | email

OKLAHOMA CITY - New big-name stores may soon call the Oklahoma City metropolitan area home. Negotiations to sell Chesapeake-owned Nichols Hills Plaza, Classen Curve and neighboring properties are nearing a close, according to sources close to the process.

Ohio-based company, Glimcher Realty Trust, is promising a renaissance of sorts in an area where stores have been closing. Glimcher has confirmed to News 9 that it is working to acquire 290,000 sq. ft. of retail that includes all of Classen Curve, the triangle-shaped development where Whole Foods is located, neighboring undeveloped land and Nichols Hills Plaza.

"It's going to be fantastic to see what happens here," shopper Steve Faulkner said.

Glimcher is a company that owns 25 properties across the country, featuring high-end shops and restaurants. Current store owners in Nichols Hills Plaza tell News 9 they are excited for the change.

"[The] last couple of years have been very challenging," Saturn Grill owner Joseph Royer said.

Royer says Chesapeake's sky-high rent has been forcing business owners to throw in the towel over the last few years.

"To me, it was silly to get into the real estate business when they were doing so well in oil and natural gas," said Royer. "They (Chesapeake) were not the best landlords I've ever had."

Glimcher tells News 9 it is too early to be discussing new tenants just yet. However, a company spokesperson says people should not to be surprised to see names the Glimcher already partners with -- such as Nike, The North Face, Brooks Brothers, Crate & Barrel and Madewell.

"I definitely would like to shop at those stores," one shopper said.

Currently, Classen Curve is underdeveloped. Nichols Hills Plaza is roughly half vacant, which threatened the City of Nichols Hills with a deficit over less tax revenue. Sources close to the negotiations tell News 9 a deal may be reached in a matter of days or weeks.

Chesapeake began selling property around its Oklahoma City campus in 2013 after former CEO Aubrey McClendon left the company
    Oh wow!

All great stuff that will be game changes in OKC retail. I really hope the North Face store ends up happening. Out of all those that's what I am the most excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Oh wow!

All great stuff that will be game changes in OKC retail. I really hope the North Face store ends up happening. Out of all those that's what I am the most excited about.
    Wow is right! This is Tulsa or Charlotte big!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Wow is right! This is Tulsa or Charlotte big!
    Definitely Tulsa. Charlotte would be an expansion of Penn Square that added on a Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany's, and other very high end stores and/or a major downtown retail development with several big name retailers.

But yeah, it will be great to see NHP and Classen Curve realize their potential.

Sigh. I was being tongue-in-cheek...

I assume that the vacant land they are referencing is all that between Whole Foods and 63rd.

That's a big area, although both NH Plaza and Classen Curve -- and Whole Foods and Anthroplogie for that matter -- turn their backs towards it.

Hard to imagine how they are going to tie this all together. I suspect it will just be a bunch of separate shopping areas where everyone drives from one spot to another.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Sigh. I was being tongue-in-cheek...
    Even our sarcasm is only second-rate... I bet Tulsa's would've punched you right in the face.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    Even our sarcasm is only second-rate... I bet Tulsa's would've punched you right in the face.
    Let alone Charlotte's...only kidding

I hope this takes off, this whole area has a pontential to become a Utica square (or better) type development we've been lacking. The combination of NH, the triangle, the classen curve, penn square mall, and to a point belle isle minus walmart has a chance to make a truly great retail area.

The sale of Nichols Hills Plaza, Classen Curve, and the Triangle closed today.

Thread Information