Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nichols Hills Plaza

Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

There was a coming soon sign that said "Nichols Hills Market", as in that would be the store name.

So, that sounds like a unique, locally-run business. Not only does that make little sense, it's very hard to believe that no one around town has any idea as to ownership.

Maybe it will be similar to Pops in that McClendon is financing it himself and has contracted with a local group to run it? That seems unlikely since CHK is heavily invested with Whole Foods just a couple of blocks away.

I have some other theories that I will keep to myself for now.

Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

Wednesday, March 14,2012
    Iguana Mexican Grill opening second location at Nichols Hills Plaza.
    by Gazette staff

Mexican food lovers barely will have time to miss the closing of Chicas Mexican Cafe in Nichols Hills Plaza, now that the Iguana Mexican Grill has announced plans to open a second location in Chicas’ old site at 6482 Avondale Drive.

Scheduled to open in the spring, the new Iguana location will offer a limited menu of what is offered at its restaurant at 9 N.W. Ninth in Automobile Alley. Five dinner specials will be available each week, along with its renowned array of tacos, burritos and mouth-watering salsas.

“The original Iguana, located on Western Avenue in Nichols Hills, was a family staple for this area of Oklahoma City,” said Robert Painter, who co-owns the restaurant along with Steve Mason. “Steve and I are thrilled to come back to the neighborhood where it all started.”

The Iguana Lounge closed its Western Avenue location several years ago before the brand was revived in 2009 as the Iguana Mexican Grill.

http://okgazette.com/oklahoma/m/#_Article

Found out a bit more about the proposed Nichols Hills Market.

Chesapeake is committed to making this happen but does not have an operator as of yet. But I'm told it WILL happen, along with the lunch counter.

Too far north for me to shop there, but it seems a bit of a pity they couldn't work things out with the long standing operators who were already in place.

Yes, this is all very strange.

But obviously, CHK did not want Crescent there otherwise they could have easily helped them renovate their space. They said they made that offer but Crescent couldn't afford the adjusted rent.

But if they are trying to lure a new operator to that space, there will have to be all types of incentives otherwise why would anyone choose to go in there? You've got WF two blocks away and Sunflower within two miles and there doesn't seem to be any real demand for another grocer in that area.

And you force the much-loved drug store to shut down just so you can have someone else operate a lunch counter?

And you recruit Whole Foods with big subsidies then orchestrate a competitor almost right next door?

One of these days there will be a book written about Chesapeake and all their bizarre, secretive and expensive real estate and business moves. For now, everyone involved is making money off of them so nobody is going to say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Yes, this is all very strange.

But obviously, CHK did not want Crescent there otherwise they could have easily helped them renovate their space. They said they made that offer but Crescent couldn't afford the adjusted rent.

But if they are trying to lure a new operator to that space, there will have to be all types of incentives otherwise why would anyone choose to go in there? You've got WF two blocks away and Sunflower within two miles and there doesn't seem to be any real demand for another grocer in that area.

And you force the much-loved drug store to shut down just so you can have someone else operate a lunch counter?

And you recruit Whole Foods with big subsidies then orchestrate a competitor almost right next door?

One of these days there will be a book written about Chesapeake and all their bizarre, secretive and expensive real estate and business moves. For now, everyone involved is making money off of them so nobody is going to say anything.
    Its all apart of Aubreys personal Sim City. I would love to get my hands on some of these leases like Whole Foods, Anthro, Balliets etc

Robert Moses.

I had heard a rumor through the grapevine that the lunch counter will feature food from Pops. If so that's a shame because Pops' food is very mediocre, at best.

Well, we know that McClendon is behind Pops and also behind trying to pull this grocery/lunch counter thing together. Pops is basically a highly stylized counter/diner theme.

We also know that Pops recently expanded by opening locations in the airport.

But the grocery part is the hardest to understand. That's a tough industry dominated by major players -- very different than the restaurant game.

I was under the impression it was going to be a store to sell all stuff Whole Foods does not sell. Mainly paper products household supplies and that sort of thing.

Well, we know that McClendon is behind Pops and also behind trying to pull this grocery/lunch counter thing together. Pops is basically a highly stylized counter/diner theme.

But the grocery part is the hardest to understand. That's a tough industry dominated by major players -- very different than the restaurant game.
    The airport locations are not restaurants, they are your average travel "mart" in an airport with a modern and fresh look with Pops branding, and they serve some soda from the "collection".

I just meant that they are expanding the Pops name beyond the original location, which would lend support to the idea they may bring part of the concept to NH Plaza.

I just meant that they are expanding the Pops name beyond the original location, which would lend support to the idea they may bring part of the concept to NH Plaza.
    Ah, gotcha!

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I had heard a rumor through the grapevine that the lunch counter will feature food from Pops. If so that's a shame because Pops' food is very mediocre, at best.
    Agree

Wih very little profit margin on top of all that...

16. Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The airport locations are not restaurants, they are your average travel "mart" in an airport with a modern and fresh look with Pops branding, and they serve some soda from the "collection".
    The Pops at the airport are a joke. I went in there to see what kind of sodas they had. Only Coke and Pepsi type products. No different then any other store at a airport. Not sure why they paid for the POPs name unless they are really going to try and push that brand elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    The Pops at the airport are a joke. I went in there to see what kind of sodas they had. Only Coke and Pepsi type products. No different then any other store at a airport. Not sure why they paid for the POPs name unless they are really going to try and push that brand elsewhere.
    They do have a few sodas from the original store, but not even close to the scale of the original store. Not even worth the name tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Gag. Aubrey's painting a self portrait of his achievements and tearing down landmarks for the canvas. Pop's is a cool novelty, but the food pretty much blows.

19. Default Re: Nichols Hills Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Pete, looking at this from afar where I live now, could the Nichols Hills Market be more a food counter and a prepared food store (like Eatzi's in Dallas)? Could they be shooting for a variation of this with a top quality butcher shop (like Tony's markets here in Denver if anyone is familiar with those) rather than a grocery store?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Pete, looking at this from afar where I live now, could the Nichols Hills Market be more a food counter and a prepared food store (like Eatzi's in Dallas)? Could they be shooting for a variation of this with a top quality butcher shop (like Tony's markets here in Denver if anyone is familiar with those) rather than a grocery store?
    I'd go broke if they'd bring in Eatzi's.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    I'd go broke if they'd bring in Eatzi's.
    Eatzi's is great! Love their concept of good take out and their sides! This would be a great fit for NH Plaza.

Yes, Eatzi's or comparable would be an outstanding addition to NHP. Make my day!

I don't know if this is true or if it's a temporary move, but I heard they're moving the farmer's market that has been just south of 63rd into the old Crescent Market space.

I drove through NHP over the weekend and discovered two recent developments: 1) Construction appears imminent on the former Crescent Market location which was gutted months ago; and 2) The corner building west of the porte cochere and temporary location of NH Drug has been entirely gutted (except the drug store, of course).

The gutted corner is in a critical location - it is near the geographic center of the property perimeters on 63rd, Avondale, Grand and Western. One would suspect that because the building was guttest and not bulldozed it will be kept, and tenants sought for long-term leases. This mean that plans for an ambitious mixed use redevelopment south of Avondale have been cancelled. CHK Land owns essentially everything within those property perimeters and could initiate a development at any time - it is choosing not to do so. WYSIWYG.

There are smart retail guys who frequest this site - what are your thoughts?

Is Eatzi's in Dallas connected to the long-lost Eatzi's in Houston that used to be at Post Oak and San Felipe (Galleria area)? I'm curious how that evolved. Eatzi's on Post Oak ended up getting bulldozed for this development:

Thread Information