Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Parking

Default Re: Downtown Parking

Metro, you're delirious. You were against SR as well. And I don't understand what that could possibly have to do with this thread, besides you're obsession with me.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Great urban mixed-use project for downtown, let's hope its done right, this could be a model for future mixed use projects for downtown. This is basically knocking out 3 birds with one stone. Hoping for first level retail, 7 levels for parking, and 5 levels for housing, putting it at 13 levels. I wonder if they have room for some office?
    I really think the city ought to consider a new office building and prepare to sell the 420 Bldg to Preftakes. The 420 Bldg would be so much better as housing... this new development will be adjacent to the grey/blue city building.

Recent report by COPTA showing how dire downtown parking has become.

They actually way over sell available spaces; every garage is 100% or higher.

And note the sole garage "only" at 100% is Sheridan/Walker, and this is before the new downtown elementary school has even opened.

Besides the new Main Street Garage and expansion of the Century Center, I sure hope they are getting busy lining up more projects because downtown growth is already being constrained.

Yet, COPTA loses money every year.

COPTA loses money but they also are responsible for the bus system. I would guess the parking garages make money. I am not sure about that though.

If a RTA is ever developed, will OKC Parking get absorbed into that? Will COPTA go away? What does the best possible big picture look like if we EVER get an RTA going?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    If a RTA is ever developed, will OKC Parking get absorbed into that? Will COPTA go away? What does the best possible big picture look like if we EVER get an RTA going?
    i would bet the the bus/transit park of copta goes to the RTA and copta becomes just a parking authority

From the chat today:

Gary T - 10:25 a.m. With parking garages at more than 100% of capicity, what is the city/COPTA doing (besides the obvious building of the new parking garage on Main street) to make this better? I would be willing to bet with the building of the Mystery Tower, there will be a parking garage attached, but what about the new businesses that move downtown with no where to park? Could this be a hinderance to future development?

Steve Lackmeyer - 10:31 a.m. The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City, the Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority and City Hall are all scrambling to figure out an answer. Don Karchmer is still trying to figure out how to build a garage on Main Street in Bricktown that would connect to The Underground and yet might somehow address concerns of rail transit advocates who believe the city will someday have a shot at high speed rail which would need a track on that same property. Yes, this capacity issue is already a problem and it's getting worse.

And this was pretty shocking to me:

Gary T - 11:06 a.m. Is the city doing anything to get the owners of parking lots to develop them in DT/BT/Midtown as far as the threat of increasing taxes or something of that nature?

Steve Lackmeyer - 11:06 a.m. Actually, the renewed Business Improvement District ordinance approved a couple of years ago incentivizes surface parking lot owners not to seek denser development.

Steve Lackmeyer - 11:07 a.m. It's cheaper in the BID to own a surface parking lot than to have a building on the same property.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    From the chat today:

Gary T - 10:25 a.m. With parking garages at more than 100% of capicity, what is the city/COPTA doing (besides the obvious building of the new parking garage on Main street) to make this better? I would be willing to bet with the building of the Mystery Tower, there will be a parking garage attached, but what about the new businesses that move downtown with no where to park? Could this be a hinderance to future development?

Steve Lackmeyer - 10:31 a.m. The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City, the Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority and City Hall are all scrambling to figure out an answer. Don Karchmer is still trying to figure out how to build a garage on Main Street in Bricktown that would connect to The Underground and yet might somehow address concerns of rail transit advocates who believe the city will someday have a shot at high speed rail which would need a track on that same property. Yes, this capacity issue is already a problem and it's getting worse.
    Steve....not "high speed rail". Commuter rail to Midwest City, Tinker AFB, and the NE part of Oklahoma City and the Adventure District would use that spur. I imagine regular train service to Tulsa would also use that. Not some pie in the sky dream high speed rail which may or may not ever happen.

Steve's update on the downtown parking situation.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5124647?embargo=1
    Mark Beffort, perhaps the most respected and influential player in the downtown office market, is looking forward to some relief in the parking shortage as 1,800 new spaces open up from the Arts District to Midtown.

“If you were to have talked to me this time last year, all of us in the real estate business downtown were a bit stressed about parking,” Beffort said. “Now, where we sit today, we’re all breathing a bit easier. But we still have tremendous pressure as more and more people look to move their offices downtown in addition to the residential activity we are seeing.”

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Steve's update on the downtown parking situation.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5124647?embargo=1

Mark Beffort, perhaps the most respected and influential player in the downtown office market, is looking forward to some relief in the parking shortage as 1,800 new spaces open up from the Arts District to Midtown.

“If you were to have talked to me this time last year, all of us in the real estate business downtown were a bit stressed about parking,” Beffort said. “Now, where we sit today, we’re all breathing a bit easier. But we still have tremendous pressure as more and more people look to move their offices downtown in addition to the residential activity we are seeing.
    I sincerely doubt that the additional residential activity is going to lead to a need for more parking spaces. Initially, maybe yes, especially before the street car is in, but in 5 years, I think the residential activity will be a net help on the parking situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I sincerely doubt that the additional residential activity is going to lead to a need for more parking spaces. Initially, maybe yes, especially before the street car is in, but in 5 years, I think the residential activity will be a net help on the parking situation.
    I think the comment was more in regard to the short term situation and that makes it fairly accurate.

But even that…It's hard for me to see another time period where the additional residential activity will bring in extraneous vehicles except for after work hours when non-downtown people are visiting friends. Construction workers, maybe?

Retail / restaurants / bars have much bigger impact on parking than residents.

Imagine when Fassler Hall & Dust Bowl opens, along with Bleu Garten, Broadway 10 and everything else that is happening along 10th.

And we are getting to the point in Deep Deuce where we have a real critical mass of bars and restaurants with at least a couple more to come, and at the same time most the vacant lots are being developed.

But there are a few residential projects that use existing structured parking: Park Harvey and The Montgomery leap to mind. But I'm not aware of any of the residential projects underway or planned that aren't providing their own parking.

One of the things not mentioned in that article is that the Oklahoman moving into the Century Center will displace hundreds of current parkers there, as they negotiated a deal that guaranteed them spots when the garage was already full.

And even though Crowe & Dunlevy are moving to the SandRidge garage, Continental will fill the space they are vacating instantly and also take the same number of spaces at Santa Fe.

I appreciate Beffort's efforts in getting downtown office space leased, but why hasn't he pursued any parking garage construction of his own other than the expansion of the City Center East Garage? If it is effecting his ability to lease office space, why hasn't he grouped together with other investors to construct his own garage instead of relying on the city-funded arts district garage?

17. Default Re: Downtown Parking

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    One of the things not mentioned in that article is that the Oklahoman moving into the Century Center will displace hundreds of current parkers there, as they negotiated a deal that guaranteed them spots when the garage was already full.

And even though Crowe & Dunlevy are moving to the SandRidge garage, Continental will fill the space they are vacating instantly and also take the same number of spaces at Santa Fe.
    When the deal was signed, it provided The Oklahoman with about half of the spaces needed - spaces that were being moved to the new garage space, and the other half of the spaces were to be remote parking south of the Myriad Gardens. With the pending departure of the IRS and other federal agencies from the building across the street and shift of Crowe Dunlevy to the Broadway Kerr garage, I do not know if the remote spaces will still be necessary or not. The Karchmer garage, as I understand it, will include spaces for Continental's growing workforce.

The IRS will not be gone before the Oklahoman and other tenants move into the Century Center. The IRS hasn't even found a new location, let alone negotiated, had the space built-out etc. I know this first hand. And anyway, their space will be immediately snapped up so there won't be any change in parking demand.

I wonder if SandRidge has any more capacity in their garage after Crow & Dunlevy move in? Otherwise, I don't know were tenants at the Parkside are going to park.

If you take into consideration all the garages under construction vs. all the office space soon to be filled (like Dowell Center and First National) there is still going to be a net increase in parking demand vs. supply.

Plus, we've got the convention center parking completely unresolved.

19. Default Re: Downtown Parking

The IRS will not be gone before the Oklahoman and other tenants move into the Century Center. The IRS hasn't even found a new location, let alone negotiated, had the space built-out etc. I know this first hand. And anyway, their space will be immediately snapped up so there won't be any change in parking demand.

I wonder if SandRidge has any more capacity in their garage after Crow & Dunlevy move in? Otherwise, I don't know were tenants at the Parkside are going to park.

If you take into consideration all the garages under construction vs. all the office space soon to be filled (like Dowell Center and First National) there is still going to be a net increase in parking demand vs. supply.

Plus, we've got the convention center parking completely unresolved.
    Pete, I'm just providing what I know - that The Oklahoman was and may still be having to park a significant number of its employees south of the Myriad Gardens until the extra garage space is finished and spaces are shifted around. I'm not looking to get into a debate with you.

^

Didn't mean to debate at all -- sorry if it came across that way.

Just providing info. at my disposal.

21. Default Re: Downtown Parking

^

Didn't mean to debate at all -- sorry if it came across that way.

Just providing info. at my disposal.
    Nor am I wishing to get into a debate. I just wanted to clarify that The Oklahoman was not getting to park all of its employees at Century Center until spaces were made available through the relocation of people from other buildings to the expanded City Center garage and new Arts District garage. Your original post indicated I had left out of my story that hundreds were being displaced to make way for Oklahoman employees so they could all park at Century Center garage.
    I understand there is a lot of confusion out there, so I went ahead and posted what I know.

Retail / restaurants / bars have much bigger impact on parking than residents.

Imagine when Fassler Hall & Dust Bowl opens, along with Bleu Garten, Broadway 10 and everything else that is happening along 10th.

And we are getting to the point in Deep Deuce where we have a real critical mass of bars and restaurants with at least a couple more to come, and at the same time most the vacant lots are being developed.

But there are a few residential projects that use existing structured parking: Park Harvey and The Montgomery leap to mind. But I'm not aware of any of the residential projects underway or planned that aren't providing their own parking.
    But isn't the vast majority of the Retail/Restaurant/Bar inflow going to happen after most of the DT workforce has already vacated?

To be honest, I doubt downtown is ever going to have TOO much parking. I just wonder that if we overstate the immediate need of something, whether or not we might hastily build out infrastructure that is not essential at the cost of something that could immediately be far more beneficial than making parking easier.

I really don't know all the parking garages in the CBD, which is clearly the main concern…I don't think we should yet be too terribly worried about parking in the other districts until we have a better grasp of how the new housing/mixed-use developments affects the situation. I think in the CBD there are like 10 garages with a total capacity upward of 7500. I think a push toward 10,000 would be good.

I'd really really really like to see the city push for a rather massive garage in West Bricktown, in addition to the Kachmer. I'd like to see a push for a 1,500 to 2,500 space garage for the SW corner of Reno and Oklahoma. That's essentially right by the transit station, would aid in the retooling of Lower Bricktown, and most importantly, would free up the need to rebuild massive amounts of parking when we redo the Cox site (Would love to see the parking on that super block at least halved if not completely gone).

I'd guess it'd be about 10 to 15 stories…put residential on top of THAT building and it would sell like hot-cakes.

Parking was awful Saturday evening. The Michael Buble concert and the Redhawks game were both going on, and there wasn't a spot to be had anywhere. People were parking on the grass in Deep Deuce. As more things happen downtown on the same nights, we'll have this problem more and more. From one perspective, it's a good problem to have. But we need either more parking or we need to get mass transit operational soon.

Imagine if we had a concert, a Redhawks game, a big convention, and a Wolf Creek Lodge as well. We want the kind of city where our downtown is bustling with activity almost every night. We just don't have the transportation infrastructure to support everything right now. The Bass Pro parking lot should be turned into a giant garage. It's on the edge of Bricktown, and so would limit traffic that was coming through the district. People could come in and out from Lincoln and Reno to the east. They wouldn't have to drive through Bricktown and so they could get in and out faster. A garage on the SW corner of Reno and Oklahoma (right in front of the U-Haul building) could provide parking for downtown employees, but Bricktown visitors would be funnelled through a busier part of the city where people are frequently walking.

24. Default Re: Downtown Parking

Ive always said the north and south lots at bass pro should be converted into retail, parking garage, and maybe housing on top. but keep the stream/river flowing through it. or just extend the canal. if done right could be nice.

I made the mistake of saying.. Oh lets go eat in bricktown Sat night. well I quickly retreated.. the parking was horrible people were even parking south of Harkins in the dirt where old I40 once was. there were 3 lines of parking in that grassy/Dirt area. considering Michael Buble was a small concert only using 1/2 the arena and sold right at 8 thousand tickets so it could have been even worse.

Thread Information