Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drive-In on N.W. Expressway

Default Re: Drive-In on N.W. Expressway

My parents watch The Towering Inferno in the rain and MASH at Cinema 70, I slept in the back seat.

Cinema 70 had a small playground in front of the screen and when I was a kid, we'd bring shopping bags full of popped corn, back in the Chevy wagon and my four siblings and I would run around until we crashed out in the 'way-back' of the wagon.

How's this for a scary memory... I clearly remember seeing a Patty Duke movie there where she was a high school track star... IMDB helped me figure out it was called 'Billie'. It came out in the summer of 1965 which means I was FOUR years old, yet still remember it.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    I worked for Woods Corporation in the early seventies but I believe it
    was there from the mid/late sixties to the mid seventies. I suspect if
    we wait long enough, somebody will give us better time frames. Jerry
    Biswell worked for Woods Corporation while I was there and it was a
    way to make a few extra bucks.
    C. T.
    I lived west of there at that time and I don't remember a go-cart
    track. There were places around there that we'd ride motorcycles.
    This is very puzzling.

Prunepicker,
    As my brain (assuming I have one) continues to churn, it was one of those piggyback business's relying on traffic from Wedgwood Park. Jerry was very close to to the Woods family and had an inside track on things. So it was only natural that he would take advantage of his friendship to open a business near the amusement park. I know the the moderators of this group could verify that there was a go-cart track but I'm really surprised that you lived there and don't remember it. I was from the South side of town and knew it well. Mr. Brzycki, can you help us out?
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I lived west of there at that time and I don't remember a go-cart
    track. There were places around there that we'd ride motorcycles.
    This is very puzzling.

Pete,
    Funny, I worked at Hertz as a computer analyst and sometimes I worked at night. Several times I took my boys and they could watch the drive in theater from the lady's restroom, second floor, North East corner of the building. Of course, there was no sound but heck, it kept them entertained while I was working on a project or a problem.
    C. T.
    Your boys watched movies from the "lady's restroom"? I'm sure they must have enjoyed that. LOL
    Are you sure they were watching movies?

You got me! I shoulld have made it clear, except for the computer operators, and folks like me that were called in after hours to fix a problem, the folks that worked in that building were 8-5 employees. The janitorial service had cleaned all restrooms and they always left the door open so no problem with any ladies. And the reason I chose the ladies was because all the ladies had a couch and my boys were fairly young and could take a nap if they wanted to.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Your boys watched movies from the "lady's restroom"? I'm sure they must have enjoyed that. LOL
    Are you sure they were watching movies?

Prunepicker,
    As my brain (assuming I have one) continues to churn, it was one of those piggyback business's relying on traffic from Wedgwood Park. Jerry was very close to to the Woods family and had an inside track on things. So it was only natural that he would take advantage of his friendship to open a business near the amusement park. I know the the moderators of this group could verify that there was a go-cart track but I'm really surprised that you lived there and don't remember it. I was from the South side of town and knew it well. Mr. Brzycki, can you help us out?
    C. T.
    Was that the track that John Denver hosted a family party at? I have a rather fuzzy memory of a news story sometime in the 70s about him having a party for all his relatives -- who for the most part lived out near Corn -- at some go-kart track. I don't think there were all that many at the time...

That was at Golf Acres on the south side. I was at one of the Dusseldorf (Sp?) gatherings and actually made John laugh his famous laugh.

Re: Post #17:
    (THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, MIKE!!)

As I said: Cinema 70 = Cutting-Edge Drive In Theater
    (on the very edge of town . . . Out near MacArthur)

The chicken on the menu was so good that even a chicken was hawking it.
    A chicken in a Confederate Uniform.
    So you could be assured it was authentically Southern-Fried.

Prunepicker Guest

I've never bought fried chicken at a Drive-In movie. Don't know
    why.

Prunepicker Guest

If you want a fun weekend go to Lake Wister State Park and rent a cabin.
    Poteau is near by and has a great Drive-in theater. We've been to it and
    had a great time with the grandkids. They'd never seen anything like it.
    The sound comes from your FM radio. Take lawn chairs, a cooler and the
    dog. We watched the Spiderman with Doc Oc.

If you want a fun weekend go to Lake Wister State Park and rent a cabin.
    Poteau is near by and has a great Drive-in theater. We've been to it and
    had a great time with the grandkids. They'd never seen anything like it.
    The sound comes from your FM radio. Take lawn chairs, a cooler and the
    dog. We watched the Spiderman with Doc Oc.
    Jon's done well with the place from what I hear from the family members who regularly visit. I don't usually end up at the movies when I am down that way. Too much to do and too many folk to see. I don't get there often enough anymore.

As for Lake Wishtwereclear, I've not had a need for the cabins. I surely miss the diner that was right there on that curve back in the day. If we weren't doing momma's fried chicken or a roast after church, we were out there on Sundays.

There definitely was a go-kart track at Wedgewood, but it was not owned by Maurice Woods. It was located on the far West side of the main parking lot. I used to work there when I was 12 yo...that would be about 1959.

thankfully there is still winchester Drive-IN

Popsicklez,
    The go-kart track was owned by either Audy Blue or Jerry Biswell. I'm pretty sure it was Jerry Biswell. They both worked for the Woods Corporation.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Popsicklez View Post
    There definitely was a go-kart track at Wedgewood, but it was not owned by Maurice Woods. It was located on the far West side of the main parking lot. I used to work there when I was 12 yo...that would be about 1959.

Smile Re: Drive-In on N.W. Expressway

I suppose the statute of limitations has run on me now. So I'll admit something about the Cinema 70. I worked in a video store across the street in the early 80's. Video stores were just starting then. We used one of the store video cameras and a portable VHS recorder to record Superman 1, the movie, off that big drive-in screen. The tape was actually not bad. We never sold or rented the tape. Just wanted to own the movie for our personal use. Those were fun days.

How'd you get the audio?

Remember those mini-satellite dishes, Back in The Day called, "The Big Ear"?
    The "eavedropping" device for the masses? No?
    They really did exist. One of the neighbor kids had one.

All you would have to do is put the mic from your reel-to-reel tape recorder up next to the headset of The Big Ear and voy-lah! =)

Have to chuckle a bit here. . .the pictures are two that I had come up with years ago when doing drive in research on Oklahoma. Here is the "biographical info" on the theatre:

Oklahoma City’s First Drive-in Theatre opened July 2 ,1947
    Last feature 15 Sept 1979
    Closed 1979 Did not reopen for 1980 Season
    Location 3101 Northwest Highway
    Listed in 1948-49 Theatre Catalog. O.F. Sullivan Exec, Starlight Amusement M8-C756-D7-CH3
    1947 Feb 2, Work to start on drive-in movie
    1947, Feb 9 Drive-in film project drawn
    1947, July 2 Drive-in film house to open
    1949-1950 Theatre Catalog lists O.F. Sullivan as owner M9-C756-D7
    1955 Theatre Catalog lists RL Barton as Exec C1000
    1965 IMPA lists Starlight Amusement as owner
    1965 IMPA lists capacity as 700
    Location by GPS N 35º 31.796’ W 97º 34.378

The Cinema 70:

Address given as 5501 N.W. Highway
    Opening date June 19, 1964, Grand opening July 1, 1964
    Last show was Sunday, Nov 1, 1981 (Super Fuzz, Thirst, Evelyn out of the Grave)
    1964, Feb 8 1,400 car drive-in theater to be constructed in city
    1984 IMPA lists Charlie Shadid as owner
    Position by GPS N 35º 32.793’ W 97º 36.719’

The two pictures, The color version is one that someone scanned off of OETA's "The Oklahoma I remember" which I had supplied the pics and info for. The color picture of the Cinema 70 was taken by John Gumm, a professional photographer from OKC who took the picture for Ferris Shanbour who once owned (and built) the drive in. The second picture of the North West Highway, was taken by the man who was the architect for the theatre.

If anyone is seriously interested, let me know, I will be happy to post more info about the theatres. . .

Regards,
    Wesley H.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Remember those mini-satellite dishes, Back in The Day called, "The Big Ear"?
    You just called the 80's back in the day.

Where was service merchandise?

LA,
    It was in a new strip center that is still there and was built after the drive-in closed.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay Architect View Post
    Where was service merchandise?

23. Default Re: Drive-In on N.W. Expressway

I didn't think the NW Hi-Way drive in was where Service Merchandise was. A quick look at the 1969 aerial views elsewhere on the board verified this. The drive in was west of Founders Tower. Between Founders and Independence Street. Where the Marriott, 7-Eleven and the former Borders building are. Service Merchandise was east of Founders in what now is Best Buy's parkng lot.

24. Default Re: Drive-In on N.W. Expressway

The aerial views also clearly show the go-cart track located at the west end of Wedgewood Amusement Park's parking lot.

You just called the 80's back in the day.
    Yeah . . . I did . . . Back in January . . . =)
    But The Big Ear we used to play with was back in the days of the late 50's or early 60's.

There was a Service Merchandise in the ghost mall called Heritage Park (MWC) back in the 70s and 80s.

Thread Information