Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

Default Re: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

Speaking of the missing cats... I know where they are... They are in my backyard in the wooded area. We moved in here on July 29th and the former owners could not catch their cat to take him with them. They left a huge box that auto-feeds as they eat right on our back porch. Every time we go out the back door, about five cats take off running into the woods behind my house. I went back there to the back of the yard several times and there are five or six cats that are living back there. They run from me so I cannot get very close to them. I am on 78th Street on the South edge of the truck stop.

I'm new to this site but I am very pleased to see there are others who are posting and concerned about this area. I need to explore OKCTALK to see how to get a neighborhood group. There are alot of things that we as a group can get done or at least provide info.
    I've been wondering what was going on with the stores, and had no idea about the I-40 project. I got a flier over the weekend about the cats and I REALLY want to see what we can do about the bums and maybe finding out about who to call to try to get some street lights around the neighborhood.
    It's a great neighborhood. I love it. I'm not trying to make it sound bad, I just would like to see what can be done to make it better. We all paid way too much money and purposely chose this area for it's serenity and safety. I don't want to worry about my home and kids with vagrants hanging around or at the least, being embarrased to live so close to vagrant central. I bet if one of the many local temp agencies were to have one of their bus stops at the park and ride, the thought of being pressured to actually work like the rest of us would scare them away. Having bums that close is NOT what I had in mind. In the mean time, I hope everyone can remember " DON'T FEED THE BEARS!".

For now, I started a new group here on OKCTalk called I-40 and Choctaw RD Communities. I figure there are other neighborhoods close by that would have some common concerns and info as well.
    We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by valsvic View Post
    I'm new to this site but I am very pleased to see there are others who are posting and concerned about this area. I need to explore OKCTALK to see how to get a neighborhood group. There are alot of things that we as a group can get done or at least provide info.
    I've been wondering what was going on with the stores, and had no idea about the I-40 project. I got a flier over the weekend about the cats and I REALLY want to see what we can do about the bums and maybe finding out about who to call to try to get some street lights around the neighborhood.
    It's a great neighborhood. I love it. I'm not trying to make it sound bad, I just would like to see what can be done to make it better. We all paid way too much money and purposely chose this area for it's serenity and safety. I don't want to worry about my home and kids with vagrants hanging around or at the least, being embarrased to live so close to vagrant central. I bet if one of the many local temp agencies were to have one of their bus stops at the park and ride, the thought of being pressured to actually work like the rest of us would scare them away. Having bums that close is NOT what I had in mind. In the mean time, I hope everyone can remember " DON'T FEED THE BEARS!".
    Not trying to be rude, but the truckstops & the interstate were there long before Deerfield. Meaning the vagrants & the traffic noise were there when you brought the property.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Why would they want to move further North? I-40 isn't moving so that would just put them further away from the interstate....seems sort of silly for a travel stop.
    As others have said, there would be an off ramp going through there backdoor. The possible new location wouldn't be that much further north and they wouldn't be in a difficult to access location. Also, taking out the I-40 westbound off ramp loop will free up some land on the northwest side of I-40. This could be several years away though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but the truckstops & the interstate were there long before Deerfield. Meaning the vagrants & the traffic noise were there when you brought the property.
    You're right. Point taken.
    However, This isn't endangered wildlife we're talking about and this isn't an inner city slum. When I said "we paid way too much..." I meant as opposed to buying some 30K dump around SE 25th and Robinson where you would expect to see that type of thing. These properties are very nice and affordable compared to any other addition like it. Again, I love it and would highly recommend it to anyone. Every place has it's drawbacks and the residents should make efforts to continually improve. That's really all I want to do. Besides the truck stops haven't been there for more than a year now and ole' stumpy can still be found at least once a week. As far as the noise goes; I can almost never hear the hwy with the exception of an occasional loud motorcycle, and even then it's barely noticeable. It's alot less noise than living in landing path of Tinker. I've been there too.
    I understand that there are alot of people and traffic using the I-40/Choctaw. Thats why the bums are there. More people to beg = more handouts. Honestly, I never expected there to be bums in choctaw. I lived around this general area my whole life and never saw such a thing. I suppose I never really spent any time at these truck stops though. I suppose I was a little naive.

lets start with where you live .. I-40 and choctaw road is Oklahoma City for a mile north and south of the interstate ..

the interchange will be redone in 2015 and 2016 and I-40 will be 3 lane all all the way to harrah rd at some point

Wow! There is certainly a lot of activity at the old Anderson's location the last week or so. I don't know what the plan is, but it looks to be pretty big, the whole lot, except for the truck fueling area has been taken down to bare earth and it seems they are either hauling dirt in or out in huge dump trucks. There were five or six parked there this evening as well as some other earthmoving equipment. Someone is spending some big bucks!

Yep. They have been working everyday. I'm thrilled to finally see some progress. I'm glad to see all the old black-top gone too. Looks like it's going to get a complete fresh build. Probably even have that "new truck-stop" smell for a little while anyway. Ha! (sorry, bad joke) I would like to think it will be very nice when complete.

Yep. They have been working everyday. I'm thrilled to finally see some progress. I'm glad to see all the old black-top gone too. Looks like it's going to get a complete fresh build. Probably even have that "new truck-stop" smell for a little while anyway. Ha! (sorry, bad joke) I would like to think it will be very nice when complete.
    Nothing like the smell of fuel fumes from 50 plus tractor/trucks on a cold morning.

Manager at the Sonic across the street advised it was going to be an IHOP.......The old ANDERSON TRAVEL PLAZA was named after a former owner. Been living in the area for 15 years. The old truck stop at one time was called Bruce's.

I am on South Hiwassee. We have seen an influx of burglaries in our area. We recently had a group near 134th & Hiwassee who were arrested on a laundry list of charges ranging from running a chop shop to possession of a firearm after a former felony conviction. You folks on Choctaw Road might want to contact the police department about starting a neighborhood watch program. I am in Cleveland County, the Sheriff’s Department has done an outstanding job of community policing. We can all look out for each other and also improve our home security. I recently installed additional outside lighting and a monitored security system.

For now, I started a new group here on OKCTalk called I-40 and Choctaw RD Communities. I figure there are other neighborhoods close by that would have some common concerns and info as well.
    We'll see how it goes.

kd5kzs

An IHOP would be great. I hope they are right. By the way, I am K5GLH and it is good to hear from you. I guess you moved away from Midwest City and back down to Hiwassee.
    I moved into Deerfield Estates at I-40 and Choctaw. I can walk out my back fence and be right on that truck stop.

Is there anyway to confirm this. I think it is a great place for that honestly. I dont know why anyone would want to open another gas station across from what will eventually be a gigantic loves store someday. A stand alone restaurant would work well in my opinion. Should be some permits or something issued for this out there. I dont know, but from reading what IHOP requires, not sure that location would qualify per their standards. Maybe a franchise talked them into it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by plmccordj View Post
    kd5kzs

An IHOP would be great. I hope they are right. By the way, I am K5GLH and it is good to hear from you. I guess you moved away from Midwest City and back down to Hiwassee.
    I moved into Deerfield Estates at I-40 and Choctaw. I can walk out my back fence and be right on that truck stop.
    Drove out past there Saturday and I waved at ya...............

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    Drove out past there Saturday and I waved at ya...............
    I blew you a kiss.

Quote Originally Posted by plmccordj View Post
    I blew you a kiss.
    I'm glad I didnt see that..................

I feel safer knowing that you were keeping your eyes on the road... LOL

they sure are stiring up the dirt there arent they?

Seems like a lot of dirt being moved around for just an IHOP, anyone able to confirm what they are actually doing?

It is going to be a full blown truck stop just like before. Whether or not there is an IHOP in it, we do not know but we do know it is going to be called "Thunder Travel Center" This name is on all four of the building permits that were submitted. All of the permits are still in "review" status and have items listed that need correction before being approved. The dirt moving is probably just clearing the area for when they are approved. The only permit that has been approved so far is the installation of a temporary power pole so they can have electricity. The property lines are the same as before except that the entries are going to have to be moved farther South to comply with the distance requirements from the East bound off-ramp that will be right on the North side of their property. The loop exits are going away and a red light will be placed on both sides of I-40.

Talked to the manager of the travel plaza. He says their will be a Wendys at the old Anderson Travel Plaza location. I live in Deerefield and my biggest concern is prowlers in the area. We have had several car and home burglaries. Hopefully the bobcats and skunks will discourage some of this activity.

I have seen my neighbor's display a fear of prowlers.
    Last edited by plmccordj; 09-18-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: May be taken the wrong way.

24. Default Re: Love's Travel Plaza at Choctaw Road

There is one further east on the south side of the highway, but its real small. They offer no showers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    There is one further east on the south side of the highway, but its real small. They offer no showers.
    Who cares about the one further East, this thread is about the new Love's planned for I-40 and Choctaw Road.

Thread Information