Widgets Magazine
Page 181 of 217 FirstFirst ... 81131176177178179180181182183184185186 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 5406

Thread: Convention Center

1. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I know what the word means. Why ya gotta be snarky? See that's one of those unnecessary posts that just doesn't belong here among friends.

Just wanted clarification for that context. Have never myself thought of looking at red dirt as entertaining. Just looking for the poster to expound, that's all.
    I don't believe he was trying to be. Those of us who live out of state can learn to appreciate the little things like the unusual OK red dirt. I could go over a dozen things l see or hear that will instantly remind me of growing up in OKC

Blog Entries

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Agree. I was a big "thumbsdown" on the CC, but I've come around to it. This is a very good thing for OKC.
    Many of us recall the initial reaction when a convention center was among the proposals on MAPS 3; also the most expensive on the initiative. Posters shared their experiences about visits to other cities. Cities are poised to build, renovate and/or expand their convention centers.

Now many projects aren't completed and there's talk about streetcar and convention center expansion--welcomed discussions city resident voters should have. Excited that we are able to plan 10 years or more ahead to address potential future projects. We also welcome & appreciate the input from those of you who say 'you don't have a dog in this fight.'

I know what the word means. Why ya gotta be snarky? See that's one of those unnecessary posts that just doesn't belong here among friends.

Just wanted clarification for that context. Have never myself thought of looking at red dirt as entertaining. Just looking for the poster to expound, that's all.
    My apologies, from the context it was clear (to me, perhaps not to others) what the poster meant. When you live in a certain area, some things get taken for granted, as they are literally an every day thing. When you move to a place that lacks that particular thing/place/event/whatever, it can warm the heart to see or hear it. You'll see posts along this line in just one month, when people (not just on this board, mind) who lived in Oklahoma for a time and have moved away discuss how they just don't feel it is Christmas without the BC Clark jingle. Warming the heart of course is not the only feeling such things can engender, one possibly being entertainment or amusement in a wry sort of way when someone has moved away and "fondly" remembers owning a white car in Oklahoma, or never quite being able to keep children's clothing clean, especially white clothing. People who have lived near the ocean and have moved away still speak of having an ocean nearby. I could list countless examples easily, but everyone's life experience is different, perhaps that is why it was clear to me what was meant, but not to others. Is dirt in and of itself entertaining. Except to a geologist, not really. But KingOfTheNorth explicitly stated "as someone who lives out of state".

4. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    My apologies, from the context it was clear (to me, perhaps not to others) what the poster meant. When you live in a certain area, some things get taken for granted, as they are literally an every day thing. When you move to a place that lacks that particular thing/place/event/whatever, it can warm the heart to see or hear it. You'll see posts along this line in just one month, when people (not just on this board, mind) who lived in Oklahoma for a time and have moved away discuss how they just don't feel it is Christmas without the BC Clark jingle. Warming the heart of course is not the only feeling such things can engender, one possibly being entertainment or amusement in a wry sort of way when someone has moved away and "fondly" remembers owning a white car in Oklahoma, or never quite being able to keep children's clothing clean, especially white clothing. People who have lived near the ocean and have moved away still speak of having an ocean nearby. I could list countless examples easily, but everyone's life experience is different, perhaps that is why it was clear to me what was meant, but not to others. Is dirt in and of itself entertaining. Except to a geologist, not really. But KingOfTheNorth explicitly stated "as someone who lives out of state".
    I hear ya. It was just the King's choice of words that threw me. Wanted clarification, but am sure what you said is likely what King means.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Agree. I was a big "thumbsdown" on the CC, but I've come around to it. This is a very good thing for OKC.
    I don't think having the CC and park next to each were in the original plans, maybe they were? I dk, either way it will make a pretty cool impression for visitors.

Visitors will be staying at a brand new CC, with an Omni, with streetcar access to whisk you to bricktown or all the shops, bars, restaurants, breweries in Midtown, and an awesome park with some cool local eats and drinks plus an amphitheater in the park, or maybe they fancy a thunder game.

It will leave an awesome impression on people.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I don't think having the CC and park next to each were in the original plans, maybe they were? I dk, either way it will make a pretty cool impression for visitors.
    They were, actually. In the original Core to Shore plan, the convention center was envisioned for the same location that it ultimately ended up in. See: http://www.naisullivangroup.com/coretoshore and https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=2778

I hear ya. It was just the King's choice of words that threw me. Wanted clarification, but am sure what you said is likely what King means.
    My apologizes, didn't mean to throw you off.

Recent construction update to the convention center committee:

Blog Entries

You can see the west outline is starting to take shape.

First wall is going up:

From yesterday; convention center outline starting to take shape:

It's amazing how many large cranes are set up in central OKC. (CC, Broadway, OU Med, and the Capital)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    It's amazing how many large cranes are set up in central OKC. (CC, Broadway, OU Med, and the Capital)
    Seeing those cranes stationed all around the areas you mentioned reminds me of vultures eating away at the decay and dying. It's also a grim reminder of what has happened to our historic venues.

Steel has started going near robinson

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Unbelievable how fast this is moving.

Note all the steel on the ground.

This should start going up very fast now.

Blog Entries

I thought there was supposed to be a basement level? Doesn't seem deep enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I thought there was supposed to be a basement level? Doesn't seem deep enough for that.
    I thought there was too. The entire building is going to take up a huge part of that area of land, so the basement level (if there is one) could be further back, away from the street.

There was never a basement level, apart from the aborted plans for the site directly south of the Myriad Gardens.

But at this location, it's always been 4 levels, all above ground.

Blog Entries

I must be thinking about previous plans...

...or the Alamo ;-)

I drove directly by it last night going to Factory Obscura ( check that out BTW). I mean I have seen Pete's progress pics but driving by it feels massive already and going up so fast. I was impressed!

Thread Information