Widgets Magazine
Page 180 of 217 FirstFirst ... 80130175176177178179180181182183184185 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 5406

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The loading docks are what you see at the very back of that image -- the darker area.
    ok. cool. thank you sir

3. Default Re: Convention Center

I wanted to take the opportunity - since you're all talking loading docks - to underscore that these are one of the main reasons driving the new facility. The Cox Center is constructed in such a way that doesn't easily allow simultaneous/overlapping events as the limited loading dock access and overall space doesn't allow for load-out/load-in to be occurring at the same time or for multiple events. One of the quickest ways this facility will provide new economic impact for the city is by expanding available event dates through the elimination of these blackout periods for load-in and load-out. I hope I described that in a way that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I wanted to take the opportunity - since you're all talking loading docks - to underscore that these are one of the main reasons driving the new facility. The Cox Center is constructed in such a way that doesn't easily allow simultaneous/overlapping events as the limited loading dock access and overall space doesn't allow for load-out/load-in to be occurring at the same time or for multiple events. One of the quickest ways this facility will provide new economic impact for the city is by expanding available event dates through the elimination of these blackout periods for load-in and load-out. I hope I described that in a way that makes sense.
    Makes sense to me. An event that finishes on the 10th, will be loading on the 11th, meaning the earliest another event could start would be the 13th if they are unloading the 12th. For simple numbers anyway.

Being able to simultaneously unload and load will mean shrinking that gap in the event schedule.

Now the skybridge connection to the Omni hotel seems to have been dropped, these are the three options being considered for additional MAPS funds for this facility:

This was provided as a construction update in the committee meeting this week:

Project Schedule Look Ahead
    • Site Excavation mostly complete. Compaction and Site Fill with enhanced soil material has begun.
    • 5th Street demolition and excavation underway.
    • Major utility installation has begun in New Broadway and 4th Street.
    • Deep pier drilling just starting to begin.
    • Shallow foundations and core walls to also be installed in August or September.
    • Structural steel erection to begin in late Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    • Structural steel erection to begin in late Fall.
    I love watching construction progress as much as anyone but this reaction to structural steel seems a bit extreme..

#lowhangingfruit

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    I love watching construction progress as much as anyone but this reaction to structural steel seems a bit extreme..

#lowhangingfruit
    Yes coincides with the deep pier drilling.

Wait, the skybridge has been dropped? Is that new or did I miss it? I thought that was deemed a must-have?

Blog Entries

New

Sorry, commented before finding the info on the other thread. Tried to edit post to remove but my computer was acting up. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Also in MAPS 3: The skybridge between the Omni hotel and the MAPS 3 convention center has been dropped from the plans.

Press Reader: https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-...81599536361894

I think that Option 1 would make the most sense, although it seems to have the biggest schedule impact.

Already starting to go vertical:

Cool to see this area coming to life. Looks like a muddy red dirt mess for the workers right now though.

As someone who lives out of state, seeing that red dirt back in Oklahoma is always entertaining.

Blog Entries

Good view of the amphitheater stage in pic #1, it shows the elevated slow where viewers will sit. Nice job, Pete.

This is going to be so worth it when it's done

21. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheNorth View Post
    As someone who lives out of state, seeing that red dirt back in Oklahoma is always entertaining.
    Entertaining? I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Entertaining. Adjective. "Providing amusement or enjoyment". Similar words: Delightful, enjoyable, pleasing, agreeable, interesting, fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Few places in the US have red dirt like we do here in Oklahoma. It can be quite striking compared to the color of the earth elsewhere, especially if you're not from here or if you haven't lived here for a while.

24. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Entertaining. Adjective. "Providing amusement or enjoyment". Similar words: Delightful, enjoyable, pleasing, agreeable, interesting, fascinating.
    I know what the word means. Why ya gotta be snarky? See that's one of those unnecessary posts that just doesn't belong here among friends.

Just wanted clarification for that context. Have never myself thought of looking at red dirt as entertaining. Just looking for the poster to expound, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    This is going to be so worth it when it's done
    Agree. I was a big "thumbsdown" on the CC, but I've come around to it. This is a very good thing for OKC.

Thread Information