Widgets Magazine
Page 77 of 217 FirstFirst ... 277273747576777879808182127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

$100 million in documented worth for this parcel sure makes the Coop more palatable at $105 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    I figured that they would but obsolete, but I'd sure like to know about the responding brands, number of rooms, aesthetics, and most importantly, the subsidy ask.
    I still believe that will come out and will be interesting to see.

But it completely changes everything to ask them to build south of the boulevard or wherever the cc ends up going.

I'm assuming this will also delay construction and timeline of the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    I'm assuming this will also delay construction and timeline of the whole thing?
    Oh yes! By a great deal.

They thought they had the property and were in final design plans.

Now, they have to start all over and the #2 rated choice (Steelyard site) is no longer an option.

I thought everybody was pretty upset about this site selection, I for one don't really want my convention center between 2 parks. That is 2 sides of prime development. Rather see this on Uhaul or Lumber yard maybe as mixed use with scaled down version of the Bricktown Tower Fantasy/Vision. This may be a step back for the current moment but I truly believe is a positive step forward. That site was arguably the most prime piece of real estate in the the state. In between 2 state of the art parks (well 1 and then a really big park as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    hmm.. well a mess for sure but perhaps we will end up with a better overall product when its all said and done. I think south of boulevard wouldn't be a bad placement and could definately elimiate the barrier between parks and allow for some great development on the old site. it definately left those owners with some prime real estate.
    Yeah I appreciate someone realizing that they weren't going to get champagne on a Natty Light budget, but what a waste all this time and effort have been! They should probably kill the notion they are going to get any land around DT for the $13 million budgeted.

A south of the blvd location is probably the next best site, but I fear its going to be too separated from the bulk of DT and not very walkable to Bricktown. You would almost have to take the streetcar at that point.

They should seriously start considering building the new CC on the current Cox Site, even though that would be a logistical nightmare.

Such a shame, i know i'm uneducated in these matters, but would eminent domain even remotely be a possibility? It seems like the owners of the lot aren't doing much to contribute to downtown with it.
    Sorry for my ignorance if it such.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    For those of us that are hoping this announcement opens the door for a continuous urban park from core to shore: If the City balks at a $100 mil site acquisition for the beloved convention center, there is no way in Hades they spend it for a park...
    Yes, in fact the barrier will most likely be even greater now. It will interesting to see what kind of development now will generate enough to pay for a $100 million site. It will have to go UP to justify that amount. So MG will be more enclosed and separated from the bigger park.

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    Such a shame, i know i'm uneducated in these matters, but would eminent domain even remotely be a possibility? It seems like the owners of the lot aren't doing much to contribute to downtown with it.
    Sorry for my ignorance if it such.
    The action the City just dropped was eminent domain.

Also, the owners had previously announced plans to develop the property before the convention center decided they wanted it.

One other consequence: Other MAPS programs should now be moved up in the timing because the cc is back to square 1.

They have to be staggered because they are paid for as sales tax is collected. But now the cc won't need big chunks for a while, they could move more quickly with Central Park and the streetcar, although the latter will have some decisions to make with this new wrinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Took the city long enough to figure out what we knew two years ago. There was no way the city could ever afford that site.
    Exactly, most everyone on this board were rooting for another site location, yet the city adamantly went with this one. What an embarrassing turn of events.

Blog Entries

The good news is, if this site is $100 million, think how much the Cox site is worth if there is indeed someone willing to pay $100 million AND develop the south side of the park.

Blog Entries

I did a search but didn't see it, is there a link to the pre-convention center proposal for this site?

Well I guess it will at least continue to be Thunder parking.

All kidding aside, it is kind of a shame. Although I never understood the need, not sure why we couldn't just remodel the Cox Center and add some additional hotels. I'm sure that's been discussed though so feel free to ignore this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yes, in fact the barrier will most likely be even greater now. It will interesting to see what kind of development now will generate enough to pay for a $100 million site. It will have to go UP to justify that amount. So MG will be more enclosed and separated from the bigger park.
    I wonder if a powerful someone else wants that land to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Exactly, most everyone on this board were rooting for another site location, yet the city adamantly went with this one. What an embarrassing turn of events.
    I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

They had $17 million, of which about $13-$14 million was for land acquisition (the balance being for site prep).

I had forwarded to the City all the comps I had of downtown transactions, done my own calculations (the exact process that would be used in determining fair market value) and everyone knew they were miles apart.

The City had only budgeted $10 million or so to acquire property to the west of Central Park and had not even spent all of that, so they had maybe another $5 million or so of property to 'trade'.

Yet, we are talking about being perhaps as much as $100 million apart.

In the meantime, they are paying consultants to determine land use around this site assuming it to be where the cc and hotel would land, are having the architects develop final plans for the cc itself, spending all this time and energy chasing hotel proposals and funding options, creating new TIF districts to feed all this.... Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Well I guess it will at least continue to be Thunder parking.

All kidding aside, it is kind of a shame. Although I never understood the need, not sure why we couldn't just remodel the Cox Center and add some additional hotels. I'm sure that's been discussed though so feel free to ignore this comment.
    Man, between this post and the ones in the streetcar thread. I feel like you just enjoy going against the grain around here.

This is rather annoying, i don't expect a private development to be very pedestrian friendly between the 2 parks, or fit in between them very well..What other sites (beside the Steelyard) have been thought of or are accessible?

I've got my fingers crossed for #5 North Bricktown. I'm not a fan of that parking lot, and see this as a good way to bridge CBD/Bricktown/DD. We should then use the citizen's committee's recommendation for the streetcar. *Picture from Pete's postClick image for larger version. 

Name:	streetcar1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	10282

Just the A/E budget completely wasted is substantial. Not to mention probably far north of $100K expended by hotel responders that are completely flushed down the drain through ignorance. They've pissed away millions!

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    This is rather annoying, i don't expect a private development to be very pedestrian friendly between the 2 parks, or fit in between them very well..What other sites (beside the Steelyard) have been thought of or are accessible?
    The City can dictate that through the design review process -- if they so choose.

Also, the streets in that block have not been closed and that requires a separate action that has been denied the current owners but the cc plans showed they City planned to closed them when they got control.

Why don't they just put the new convention center on the Cox site? It's the perfect location in the middle of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Man, between this post and the ones in the streetcar thread. I feel like you just enjoy going against the grain around here.
    Don't knock him too bad. Although most would agree the current Cox is completely inadequate, how plausible would it be to construct a new CC on the current Cox site? Especially now that the Barons are gone after this season, what's the likelihood that the arena can be turned into temp meeting space while the new center is built in phases?

It seems the main issue with the CC is they have an unrealistic budget for land acquisition. The easiest solution to this is building on land already owned by the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why don't they just put the new convention center on the Cox site? It's the perfect location in the middle of everything.
    Because the consultants ranked it #4; didn't even make the final 3.

Mainly, because of the disruption to current parking and convention biz.

Thread Information