Widgets Magazine
Page 178 of 217 FirstFirst ... 78128173174175176177178179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

^^^^^^^

OKC Council expected to approve convention center contract

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record June 4, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – The vast majority of taxpayer money going to build the MAPS 3 downtown convention center will go through local companies subcontracting through Tulsa-based Flintco LLC, officials said.

The City Council is expected to approve the construction contract worth up to $168.3 million at Tuesday’s regularly scheduled meeting. It includes an incentive/disincentive clause to pay a bonus of $5,000 per day for completion up to 30 days early and a similar per-day penalty for completion behind schedule. The grand opening at 500 S. Robinson Ave. is expected by mid-2020.

City Public Works Director Eric Wenger said the municipal government would prefer that the sales tax revenue provided by the temporary Metropolitan Area Projects tax stay close to home.

“The city of Oklahoma City does not have a strict policy, but City Council – starting with the original MAPS program years ago – strongly encouraged the use of local businesses whenever possible,” Wenger said. “There is not a state statute or requirement in the city that directs such a policy, and we have found it difficult to enforce such a policy. … But MAPS and MAPS for Kids both had high local utilization rates.”

Data collected for citizen oversight groups in those earlier iterations of MAPS found that more than 80 percent of project money stayed with local consultants, contractors and subcontractors. The city no longer requires such a high level of source reporting, he said, but contractors must still tell City Hall which companies are doing the work.

“From our experience, we find that mostly local companies are performing the jobs for Oklahoma City,” Wenger said.

Flintco project director Josh Patterson agreed with Wenger that certain materials are sometimes procured from out of state – stone tiling or wood trim, for example. However, it still goes through local companies that use local craftsmen for installation, Patterson said. He could not provide examples Monday.

Patterson said Flintco has been fortunate that so many of its preferred subcontracting companies are based in Oklahoma. Flintco led the construction of Devon Corp. corporate headquarters downtown and the Oklahoma City Federal Complex building, replacement offices for the Murrah Building destroyed in 1995.

Patterson said company executives are looking forward to an aggressive schedule to get the convention center work finished, another reason that local subcontractors are preferred in such a major project. The company is already modeling the building designs in 3D for reference and hiring construction crews.

Construction trailers are now on site. Official groundbreaking is Friday June 15 at 10:30AM.

Funny how they had to dress up the old SC site. Does the city already own the surface parking?

Quote Originally Posted by DallasOkie086 View Post
    Funny how they had to dress up the old SC site. Does the city already own the surface parking?
    The city owns everything between the boulevard, I-40, Robinson and Shields.

The entire CC complex is huge. I've been wondering where this ranks in regards to size of construction projects through the history of OKC. It's gotta be up there in regards to both cost and size.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasOkie086 View Post
    Yes, The surface parking is for future expansion of the CC.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    The entire CC complex is huge. I've been wondering where this ranks in regards to size of construction projects through the history of OKC. It's gotta be up there in regards to both cost and size.
    There is construction all over the place down there already with the BLVD, park, hotel, and finishing touches on the street car before the convention center and Omni even begins.

Press release from the City:

Construction starts on MAPS 3 Convention Center in downtown Oklahoma City

Mayor David Holt and other civic leaders broke ground Friday on the MAPS 3 Convention Center, a cornerstone of the ongoing Core to Shore renaissance in downtown Oklahoma City.

“Three of the MAPS 3 projects are right in the heart of downtown – the OKC Streetcar, Scissortail Park and the convention center,” said Mayor Holt. “With today’s groundbreaking, construction is underway on all three and dreams are becoming reality. As much as everyone talks about how far our downtown has come, the opening of these three projects will dramatically alter our city within the next two years.”

Mayor Holt was joined by Ward 6 Councilwoman Meg Salyer, MAPS 3 Citizens Advisory Board Chairman Tom McDaniel and representatives from the Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB), Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, SMG and others.

The convention center, expected to be finished in 2020, will draw events that bring attendees from around the region and world. It will provide a boost to Oklahoma City’s economy and serve as an ideal host for local events.

Its position south of the central business district in the Core to Shore area, along with other MAPS 3 investments, is anticipated to spark the same kind of transformative development that has followed previous MAPS program projects.

About the convention center
    The MAPS 3 Convention Center’s total project budget of $288 million, including land acquisition and other related expenses, is the biggest in City history for a single project. The construction contract is $168.2 million, $20 million under budget.

The state-of-the art building will be located east of Scissortail Park along Robinson Boulevard between SW 4th and SW 7th streets. Like the park and many other important landmarks downtown, it will be served by the OKC Streetcar.

The convention center’s sleek and modern design features sweeping downtown views, and materials designed for energy efficiency and resiliency against the weather.

The 200,000-square-foot exhibit hall will dominate the ground floor, featuring three operable walls to divide it in up to four flexible spaces. About 45,000 square feet of meeting spaces are on all levels of the building, and many also have operable walls to make the spaces flexible. The rooms can be configured to provide up to 27 individual meeting spaces.

A 30,000-square-foot ballroom is the main space on the fourth level, complemented by 10,000 square feet of pre-function space and a 4,000-square-foot balcony.

Informal meeting spaces, a kitchen, a potential café space, an expansive loading dock and administrative offices are also planned for the convention center.

The gleaming, angular façade has towering glass walls to make maximum use of natural light and takes its design cues from Oklahoma City’s sky, landscape and architectural character.

Landscaping outside the convention center will use native plants and trees well-suited to the local climate, with a focus on sustainability, comfort and beauty. A central plaza and other inviting spaces will help the convention center’s exterior come alive with activity.

Wayfinding stations inside and outside the convention center will be interactive.

A skywalk will connect the building to the future Omni hotel, which is being developed to complement and support the convention center and is also expected to be finished in 2020.

The City has a marketing contract with the CVB for securing events to be booked at the convention center, and a contract with SMG for facility management.

The CVB and SMG fulfill similar roles now for the Cox Convention Center, which will no longer be marketed and operated at the City’s main convention center when the MAPS 3 facility opens.

About MAPS 3

MAPS 3 is a $777 million capital improvement program to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City. It is funded by a 1-cent sales tax initiative that began in April 2010 and ended in December 2017. MAPS 3 funds eight projects: Downtown Convention Center, Downtown Public Park, Modern Streetcar/Transit, Oklahoma River Improvements, Oklahoma State Fairgrounds Improvements, Senior Health and Wellness Centers, Trails and Sidewalks.

what are the chances of getting a webcam set up somewhere so we can watch construction?

Blog Entries

Where would it go? The closest structures of consequence are the arena and the Courtyard parking garage.

Blog Entries

We have had them installed on utility poles at some sites.

Looking at the pics and wondering what is going on with the huge slab of concrete north of the park and west of the arena. That is the old car dealership correct? Has it been announced what is planned for that prime area? I must have missed what is going on there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    We have had them installed on utility poles at some sites.
    Ah that makes sense. I wasn't even thinking in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Looking at the pics and wondering what is going on with the huge slab of concrete north of the park and west of the arena. That is the old car dealership correct? Has it been announced what is planned for that prime area? I must have missed what is going on there.
    I don't think anything has been announced for that site yet. It used to be downtown Ford and is owned by Bob Howard's real estate company if I recall correctly. They seem to have an abundance of downtown real estate at the moment. With the Mercedes dealership now officially moved, they've got multiple city blocks in automobile alley and this, in my opinion, is one of the single most attractive pieces of downtown real estate. Myriad gardens to the north and Scissortail Park to the south. Hopefully they have something impressive planned for this location!

Blog Entries

Pretty sure there is zero going on there presently. Publicly anyway.

If they were smart, they would come up with something or find a developer to develop it. All I can say is NO FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS. I can't stand having McDonalds and Sonic taking up real estate in Downtown, let alone any more. I would like to see pedestrian bridges built from the Myriad to any future development and then another from the development to Scissortail Park so people can go from park to park safely. I don't know how feasible that is, but it's something that should be thought of.

One: The downtown Sonic isn't going anywhere. EVER. It is next door to Sonic Headquarters.

Two: In looking on Google Maps, where would the pedestrian bridge(s) go? I mean, I'm not against the idea, I personally think the people who are against sky bridges are insane and have no actual valid reason to be against them, but they have to be somewhere.

I'm referring to the Sonic near West Village on the west side of Downtown. I've got no problem with the one in Bricktown.

21. Default Re: Convention Center

There is nothing inherently wrong with fast food restaurants downtown. In fact, every downtown should have a wide array of dining choices. Sometimes visitors or workers need something quick and inexpensive. Not everyone has time every day for a full sit-down lunch, and every meal doesn’t have to be an experience. Not to mention, there is an inherent equity issue when you eliminate inexpensive food choices. Not everyone has $10+ to spend on lunch.

That said, I agree that discouraging drive-thrus in an urban area is good planning practice.

Regarding pedestrian bridges and sky bridges, there is ample evidence - both anecdotal and scientific - that they have a negative impact on urban environments:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/03/...g-and-transit/

https://ggwash.org/view/219/skybridg...the-connection

It's a $ 20 parking lot for Thunder games.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    There is nothing inherently wrong with fast food restaurants downtown. In fact, every downtown should have a wide array of dining choices. Sometimes visitors or workers need something quick and inexpensive. Not everyone has time every day for a full sit-down lunch, and every meal doesn’t have to be an experience. Not to mention, there is an inherent equity issue when you eliminate inexpensive food choices. Not everyone has $10+ to spend on lunch.

That said, I agree that discouraging drive-thrus in an urban area is good planning practice.

Regarding pedestrian bridges and sky bridges, there is ample evidence - both anecdotal and scientific - that they have a negative impact on urban environments:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/03/...g-and-transit/

https://ggwash.org/view/219/skybridg...the-connection
    I wish we had MORE fast food downtown for the very reasons you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    It's a $ 20 parking lot for Thunder games.
    Yes I have paid them dearly. In fact I have paid more than that for the prime area right across the street from the arena.

Surely they have to have some secret plans for that site.

Blog Entries

IMO two parcels of land in OKC's core are overpriced; Producer's COOP Mill & the old downtown Ford site. My prediction is that the owners of these parcels will probably look back on their decision to hold out for more. Just don't think they will get their asking price now or within the next decade.

Thread Information