Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 217 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863113 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center Hotel

I'm not buying that last part either SoonerDave. The Ford site has been under the same ownership for a long time and if the intent was to sell it to the city for a huge profit, that might not even happen. However, there is no doubt in my mind that members of CC committee wanted that site so bad they could taste it, and manipulated the process so that it was selected. Alas, I expect Devon to cover the cost difference in exchange for naming rights.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I can't stress enough that if the CC proceeds as planned it will be an utter failure and disappointment to OKC taxpayers. With site acquisition costs, and other undetermined costs will only allow the city to build a mediocre CC, and we will still be in the lower tier in the convention center business.

The best thing they can do is rehabilitate and expand the Cox Center. They already own the land so there is no site acquisition costs, its at a perfect location, and they already have a shell to work with. They just need to gut the The Cox Center and start over. By doing this our $250 million will go a lot further, and could actually have money left over to fund $50 million to lure CC Hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's been obvious for a very long time that this old Ford site could not be done within the established budget.

To not even consider this while proceeding down a long and expensive road is ridiculous.
    Over in Steve's blog, Councilman Shadid posted:
    In the last convention center subcommittee meeting Mike Carrier indicated that $250 million would not be sufficient to build a convention center which would allow us to reach the next tier of conventions; that shortfall is worsened with the current convention center location selection.
    http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/20...three-choices/

As far as redoing the Cox center, the Mayor stated (and I don't have any reason to disbelieve him on the point) that it would cost more do so than to just build new. Add into the picture that you would essentially be without a convention center while it is being done or severely limiting it. I presume you are talking about taking out the Arena portion and that means a loss of the side-by-side set up that we have found to be useful. I don't know what gutting cost but am guessing that it might be a wash as far as land acquisition costs? So other than folks agreeing that it is a good site, there are too many other things working against it

Locating the CC at that location will have a more negative than positive impact on downtown development.

1) If proceeds as planned, with current budget, it will still be considered a Tier 3 CC.
    2) It creates a major super block separating Myriad Gardens/Central Park
    3) It takes up prime boulevard frontage that would have promoted major development.
    4) It killed the potential of a major mixed-use development proposed by Howard/Hall

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    So... any takers for a Friends For A Better Convention Center Site?

This is exactly what I was thinking, have they had a public meeting to gather input about the proposed location of the new CC? To hear our comments, and proposals? Unlike the new boulevard, WE are paying for this project, so the average OKC citizen should have some input, not just representatives from the CC Subcommittee.

You might be on to something here.

I think the east Bricktown location or south of the arena are the two best locations and have no problem with either one. After phase 1 is done they need to demolish the current Cox Center, reinstate the stree grid (which will create nearly one mile of new street frontage), sell the land to developers, and use the profits to builds phase II of the new convention center or payoff any debt from building phase II early.

Will they have one of these for the new CC design or location?

MAPS 3 Update: 8/20/2012
    Public input sought on MAPS 3 Downtown Park design

Everyone is invited to a community meeting to provide information and solicit design and programming ideas for the 70-acre MAPS 3 Downtown Park.

The meeting will be held from 6 – 8:30 p.m. on September 13 in the fourth floor auditorium of the Downtown Library, 300 Park Avenue.

“We want to hear everyone’s ideas on how this iconic park should look and function,” Mayor Mick Cornett said. “Our goal is to design a unique gathering space that will be a frequent destination for residents and set Oklahoma City apart from other cities.”

The $132 million park is made up of a 40-acre upper section and a 30-acre lower section which is connected by Oklahoma City Skydance Bridge. The park is within the boundaries of Hudson to the west, Robinson to the east the Oklahoma City Boulevard to the north and the Oklahoma River on the south.

Land acquisition for the upper park is 95 percent complete and construction is expected to begin in 2013. The meeting will be facilitated by park consultant Hargreaves Associates.

I remain optimistic that ordinary citizens can impact the decisions our city government makes if we care enough to get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    After phase 1 is done they need to demolish the current Cox Center
    i don't recall there being an arena in the new CC. if this is the case then i am adamantly opposed to destroying the Cox Center at that time. Having two arenas so close together has been very useful, and dropping down to one (while not impossible) would make a scheduling nightmare for all the events that are being held in both of these facilities. Perhaps in MAPS 4, we will find out what to do with the cox center... perhaps building a small arena in a corner, and destroying everything else, and hopefully there will be enough room to return to street grid at that point

There is no need for a second arena. The BIG XII has basically dropped that requirement and the Peake can more than sufficiently handle all demands the city can throw at it. We have to start using our resources to their maximum potential and maintaining 2 arenas across from the street from each other isn't cost effective nor efficient. Plus, maintaining a second arena isn't free and there are tremendous lost opportunity costs by keeping it. The land Cox sits on is worth north of $100,000,000.00 That is 5 more miles of streetcar track.

There's a FB group created.
    What is the link?

There is no need for a second arena. The BIG XII has basically dropped that requirement and the Peake can more than sufficiently handle all demands the city can throw at it. We have to start using our resources to their maximum potential and maintaining 2 arenas across from the street from each other isn't cost effective nor efficient. Plus, maintaining a second arena isn't free and there are tremendous lost opportunity costs by keeping it. The land Cox sits on is worth north of $100,000,000.00 That is 5 more miles of streetcar track.
    How is the Big XII planning to do its mens and womens tournaments without 2 arenas?

If they resolve the sidewalk shortfall and fully fund the planned rail transit system/hub, they will be able to do anything they want with the Convention Center.

Yeah, the only reason the teams had games on the same nights more often than not this past season was because of the lockout. Look at this year, only 6 same dates. One arena could knock that down to zero and add more events.

People keep forgetting that the new convention center (without an arena in the middle of it) is going to have so much more room available in it compared to the Cox.

Also, regardless of whether it gets built on the current predetermined site or one of the other two sites I keep seeing mentioned, something will be built on the Ford Dealership site.
    Im sorry to say this for an example but a Victory Park type development would work so much better here. Not sorry about the convention center going somewhere else but using a Dallas development as an example.

My choice for a CC spot is south of the boulevard and east of Robinson as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    How is the Big XII planning to do its mens and womens tournaments without 2 arenas?
    Because they aren't going to host them in the same city. From an economic point of view it is a no-brainer. The City would have to host 100 Big XII tournaments to reap the same benefit as selling the land the Cox Center is on.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Sometimes the only amenities you need for a park that attracts tourists is trees and a sidewalk. We're not that far off from trees and a sidewalk/trail. Programming is overrated, IMO.
    I agree it will be used before any amenities, especially by locals. But before you draw crowds or outsiders, you at least need staging areas for activities. This could be as simple as sports fields and trails or as elaborate as amphitheaters.

As far as not being far off, I didn't think the city even owned all of it, yet. And then there will be a pretty serious environmental clean up, the size of which has yet to be determined. And before any of that starts, we have to get the money for it from the MAPS taxes, and I don't think collections have met the budget for the park yet. I don't see how it's going to be useable for at least 10 years unless they do it in very small stages.

We need to quit basing 100 million dollar decisions on a college basketball tournament that may come here every 5 years or so. We have the NBA - so there will inevitably be schedule conflicts. The twin Big 12 tournaments was a nice thing in its time, now let's move on. Go for hosting one of the tournaments certainly, but don't worry about getting both of them here to consider it successful.

If we are going to build a new convention center, we need to sell off the Cox CC site once it is done and let that site be developed into something that will generate tax revenue. Keeping an aging, inadequate facility around for a once every few years event is silly at best.

thanks...

Crap - I might have to breakdown and get a facbook account.

How many teams play in the Staples Center in LA? I think OKC would be fine with one arena.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    How many teams play in the Staples Center in LA? I think OKC would be fine with one arena.
    2 NBA teams and 1 NHL team. And they play in the Staples Center on the same day. They host over 250 events per year.

2 NBA teams and 1 NHL team. And they play in the Staples Center on the same day. They host over 250 events per year.
    Actually, according to what was said last year during the first round of the NBA playoffs, is that it is extremely rare that any of the three teams play on the same day at home.

how many other large venues are there for large events (large concerts, sports, monster truck rallies, etc) in LA? i'm actually just curious, cause i'm sure it's much more than just the Staples Center. Not saying that changes anything, just curious really.

Also, i does anyone know how many events were in the Chesapeake Arena over the last year? and how many were in the COX Center? i think those would be interesting numbers to know

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    We need to quit basing 100 million dollar decisions on a college basketball tournament that may come here every 5 years or so. We have the NBA - so there will inevitably be schedule conflicts. The twin Big 12 tournaments was a nice thing in its time, now let's move on. Go for hosting one of the tournaments certainly, but don't worry about getting both of them here to consider it successful.

If we are going to build a new convention center, we need to sell off the Cox CC site once it is done and let that site be developed into something that will generate tax revenue. Keeping an aging, inadequate facility around for a once every few years event is silly at best.
    Yep
    Plus, what JTF said. Their not doing dual men and womens tournaments anymore. So the college basketball issue is irrelevant now.

Blog Entries

Is this another Convention Center thread or Convention Center Hotel thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Is this another Convention Center thread or Convention Center Hotel thread?
    I looked for the Convention Center thread the other day but couldn't find it :-/

LA Kings to LA Lakers to LA Clippers in one day.

Thread Information