Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished

Unhappy Re: Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished

Ugh... hate this seems to be happening. A few years back (3-4), the Oklahoma City Miuseum of Art did a trip to MCM buildings in the greater metro. The Bavinger House was one of the stops. This was just about the time the restoration efforts were starting. . . I remember a pamphlet that had some information on the foundation that was being established to do the restoration. Although it was pretty "down-at-the heels", it was such an incredible place it literally took your breath away when you walked in. A tragic, tragic loss if it is gone.

Default Re: Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished

FYI--for anyone who might be unfamiliar with this place...

http://www.thebavingerhouse.org/phot...%20gallery.htm

interesting (to me at least) is that the house seemed to be much more "liveable" that what one gets from the pictures. Not "traditional" in any sense, but more like "camping" with ammenities!!

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    interesting (to me at least) is that the house seemed to be much more "liveable" that what one gets from the pictures. Not "traditional" in any sense, but more like "camping" with ammenities!!
    I always thought the Wilson home was much nicer and more livable--and the Bavinger house was more like a pointy shrine across the yard...

It will be saved...the walls are extremely stout...the roof may be problematic--but the structure could always be restored...

The Wilson home had a big aquarium embedded in the sandstone wall that was marvelous...

Mark, darn it, the house that historians call the Wison house is in LA or somewhere, not in Norman. ExACTly where is the one you are calling that and are there pictures available? I don't find any and I always thought of myself as a Bruce Goff freak.

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    Mark, darn it, the house that historians call the Wison house is in LA or somewhere, not in Norman. ExACTly where is the one you are calling that and are there pictures available? I don't find any and I always thought of myself as a Bruce Goff freak.
    The home where the Wilson family lived--I dated there daughter way, way back when...was across from the Bavinger House...they were both on either side of the round common pool--which was large and concrete, but not sunken in the ground--a free-standing structure. There was a catwalk causeway that connected the two homes...the guys were great friends and the houses were built together for some reason...

I am the one who calls it the Wilson home--because that is the name of the family that built it...

See entry #23 on this thread

I guess that is what I thought was the studio. Do you have a link to a picture of it so I can be sure.

I guess that is what I thought was the studio. Do you have a link to a picture of it so I can be sure.
    I don't have any pictures...they are all of Bavinger because it looks like a spire...Wilson home was not a pointy thing--but shared the same type of sandstone rock wall with big green glass chunks...they appeared like a single estate at the time...but they were separate...I would LOVE a picture of the home...it holds many, many great memories from my early teenage years...

I'm sorry, what I meant is, have you ever seen a picture of the B house that included the W house on the internet and if so you can download one and link me to it. I'm know what you REALLY mean, though, is that you would like pics of the parts and angles of it that were meaningful to you specifically.

I'm sorry, what I meant is, have you ever seen a picture of the B house that included the W house on the internet and if so you can download one and link me to it. I'm know what you REALLY mean, though, is that you would like pics of the parts and angles of it that were meaningful to you specifically.
    I am going to try to home in on it on Google Earth...is is just south of Robinson...have to remember the N-S cross street

UPDATE

Google Earth 730 60th Avenue NE, Norman, OK and you can see it nicely from the air...the Bavinger house is at the top of the frame...Wilson house is the one with the pool right up next to it, lower on the frame...enjoy!

Thanks, that was fun.

Thanks, that was fun.
    Closer to town that you thought..eh?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Glad to hear this...I always thought it was better than Bavinger's home anyway--less obtuse. Do you know if it is being restored by a family member?...it would be so great if it was. There are a couple of them in the Norman area, I believe.
    No, just a Norman resident that bought it several years ago when it was literally falling apart. It's a beautiful house with the swimming pool in the front (really the back) of the house, which now is a "natural" pond with a wooden deck all around it.

It's just south of Bavinger, off 60th. Probably one of the most unique homes in Norman, along with Goff's other creations Bavinger and Ledbetter.

I have a journal produced in 2006 by Friends of Kebyar titled Bruce Goff Oklahoma Guide and it has color photos, directional maps, and descriptions of all Goff built, unbuilt, and lost structures. I do not see a Goff house anywhere near the Bavinger house. There are two on Timberdell, one on Woodland, the Ledbetter on Brooks, and the Bavinger and that is it. This is a very complete catalogue and I am curious as to why the "Wilson" house is not included in any of the three categories.

I attended the Norman portion of the Goff Centennial in 2004 and joined Friends of Kebyar and thus received this journal when it was published. I still wear my Goff Centennial tshirt to the gym.

I just got out my Goff Norman 2004 material and on the Norman tour Bill Wilson is listed as the architect of the Wilson house and it was not on on the tour. He must have been a Goff disciple as other houses listed were by Vollendorf, Boggs, Arne Henderson,Blaine Imel,William Burgett, and Herb Greene(Prairie Chicken).

Quote Originally Posted by Dekoung View Post
    I have a journal produced in 2006 by Friends of Kebyar titled Bruce Goff Oklahoma Guide and it has color photos, directional maps, and descriptions of all Goff built, unbuilt, and lost structures. I do not see a Goff house anywhere near the Bavinger house. There are two on Timberdell, one on Woodland, the Ledbetter on Brooks, and the Bavinger and that is it. This is a very complete catalogue and I am curious as to why the "Wilson" house is not included in any of the three categories.

I attended the Norman portion of the Goff Centennial in 2004 and joined Friends of Kebyar and thus received this journal when it was published. I still wear my Goff Centennial tshirt to the gym.

I just got out my Goff Norman 2004 material and on the Norman tour Bill Wilson is listed as the architect of the Wilson house and it was not on on the tour. He must have been a Goff disciple as other houses listed were by Vollendorf, Boggs, Arne Henderson,Blaine Imel,William Burgett, and Herb Greene(Prairie Chicken).
    I believe Mr. Wilson was an architect as well...I think they were all associated together--business-wise, back in the day...hence building their homes adjacent...friends enough to share the pool and have a causeway that connected the two homes back then...

16. Default Re: Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished

Here's a link to a site working on the restoration of the Goff designed Hopewell Church:
    http://www.goff-hopewell.org

Hopewell is also listed on Preservation Oklahoma's "2011: Oklahoma's Most Endangered Historic Sites."

Hopewell at Abandoned Oklahoma:
    http://www.abandonedok.com/hopewell-baptist-church/

http://www.narrowlarry.com/nlgoff-hopewell.html

Just found this, too. Interesting.
    http://www.pbase.com/camdraw/goff

Quote Originally Posted by Dekoung View Post

Wilson may be credited with designing the house south of Bavinger, but one step into that house and you can see that Goff had a major influence. Similar to how Goff is not credited with designing Tulsa's Boston Ave Methodist Church even though he worked closely with Adah Robinson on the design as a kid.

I read a few years ago that he was finally being officially credited for the design of Boston Ave MC by the church and the archtectural community of Tulsa. Maybe I dreamed it, anyone know for sure?

I read a few years ago that he was finally being officially credited for the design of Boston Ave MC by the church and the archtectural community of Tulsa. Maybe I dreamed it, anyone know for sure?
    I haven't heard that. Boston Ave is an amazing building. If you've never been you have to go check it out, and especially take a tour of the interior including the top of the tower.

I have done 2 photo shoots of it over many years, but never with a digital camera. Someday I'll return to shoot yet again and I will try to get "the tour." It is nearly my favorite structure on the entire earth.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    A great video and animation. I could not help but wonder--watching it...that place would be a nightmare (literally and financially) to heat and cool today...

Now decades later a great deal of vegetation has been allowed to grow around the structure as evidenced by the picture below I took of it while on a very fascinating tour conducted by Bavenger's son last summer. He apparently lives in a dome like home near the structure. (Maybe it's more livable.) A request to walk across the bridge was declined. I bet the lowest level wasn't that bad to keep comfortable year round. But I would have to agree, the upper levels must have been quite a challenge. It was kinda hot inside since Bavenger apparently never turned on the air conditioning except when guests showed up for a tour.

Old architectural wonders like this are like old rock stars still on the road. You better see them while you can before they finally break down or permanently retire.

With so many rich people in the country I don't understand why none seem interested in stepping forward to help provide funding for the restoration of the Bavenger House. Maybe there's such a thing as rich bigots who don't like it because Goff was apparently a homosexual. Anyway, if I had many millions in the bank, I would easily spring forth for the opportunity to help restore it.

Me too, Bunt.

Surely there is some new info on this. Has Bob allowed anyone in yet? Is he going out in public? Are there any photos other than through the trees between the house and the road? I wish we had a member of the OU school of Arch on the forum. Can one of our Norman members find out some more for us.

Thread Information