Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished

Does anyone know anything more about this? Unbelievable architectural loss.

For what is known so far, see Oklahoma Modern blog:
    http://www.oklahomamodern.us/2011/06...s-no-more.html

2. Default Re: Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished?

Just saw on FaceBook that someone went down to explore and, based on what they could see, it looked like the Bavinger house was still standing. Strange goings on, but really hope the house is still standing. Looking forward to someone getting to the bottom of all this.

Default Re: Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished

A marvelous place. Spent summers swimming in their pool--shared with my friends, the Wilsons--(the pool was between the two houses) who lived next door and their homes were connected by a causeway. Circa 1961-62...hope both houses are still there...lots of big green glass chunks embedded in the sandstone walls to let light through in the daytime...innovative.

Last summer, I paid $10 for a tour of the Bavinger house, hosted by the son of the original owner. He pointed out the colorful tiled floor in the bathroom he said he designed while a child. The house is so odd and unique it's hard to describe it inside and outside. To slightly do it justice, it's kinda like a cave with pods. At any rate, it's meant to fit in with nature, because much of it is a part of nature. It's in a somewhat deteriorated condition, so for a unique experience don't put off seeing it. As I understand it, the $10 is supposed to help fund its renovation.

While in Norman, don't pass up the marvelous Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art. They may still have a room with nothing but the artwork of Bruce Goff on display, along with scale models of some of his architectural wonders, including the Bavenger house. Elsewhere in the museum, they have art of other authors so priceless that it's under guard at all times.

Another Architectural Wonder from the avante-garde days of Normania...

http://blog.ounodesign.com/2009/03/1...ulius-shulman/

Your tour must have been hosted by Bill Bavinger...

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Another Architectural Wonder from the avante-garde days of Normania...

http://blog.ounodesign.com/2009/03/1...ulius-shulman/

Your tour must have been hosted by Bill Bavinger...
    I'm not surprised you mentioned Bill. He was one of my classmates at Norman High. The article mentions Bob Bavinger though. I didn't know him.

news 9 had a story, on the 10 oclock. Sent a team to investigate. Got to the gate, someone shouted at them from the grounds and fired a waring shot! Police were called and couldn't find anyone, this could get interesting....

http://www.news9.com/story/14952275/...clipId=5978502

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    This website shows the embedded green glass that let light into the internal areas--a smart idea--and thick enough not to need insulation.

10. Default Re: Bruce Goff-designed Bavinger House has been demolished

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    BDK, thanks for posting the link. Lynne provides great background on the Bavinger House, inlcuding what is known (and not known) about the current situation there.

Here's the title & byline for the above link:

Masterpiece in Peril: Bruce Goff’s Bavinger House
    June 22, 2011
    By Lynne Rostochil

This is a travisty. I really can't blame Bob for being deeply depressed by the lack of support from the archtectural community to help with rehabilitation, and I wonder if he would be willing to sell it to others willing to invest in it. It would be awfully difficult to determine a "fair" price but something or someone will "have to give." Pray for the Bavinger House, ya'll.

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    This is a travisty. I really can't blame Bob for being deeply depressed by the lack of support from the archtectural community to help with rehabilitation, and I wonder if he would be willing to sell it to others willing to invest in it. It would be awfully difficult to determine a "fair" price but something or someone will "have to give." Pray for the Bavinger House, ya'll.
    The City of Norman should buy it and restore it--it is that important--and they have gotten a lot of "good press" over the years because of it....

Of course--one would need to know the asking price...all that glitters is not gold...

I wonder if the Kebyar Society knows about this yet. It is a society of organic architects who were influenced by Goff and they make a big issue about it. Among them is Bart Prince, a MAJOR west coast architect. They could easily buy that sucker and rehab it. Maybe give it to Norman or OU to maintain for the long haul. Hey, I'm grasping at straws in desperation.

I wonder if the Kebyar Society knows about this yet. It is a society of organic architects who were influenced by Goff and they make a big issue about it. Among them is Bart Prince, a MAJOR west coast architect. They could easily buy that sucker and rehab it. Maybe give it to Norman or OU to maintain for the long haul. Hey, I'm grasping at straws in desperation.
    You are a erudite and decent fellow. Spend some internet time and see what you can do. It may become your legacy...

Don't just stick a bumper sticker on the car...
    Get some students at the Oklahoma Daily to help...

I'll get on it like stink on a junebug (or some other mixed metaphor). Actually there are BOUND to be people with built-in influence in a better position than I to start the rescue. I think I will at least email Kebyar to make sure they know, but I am figuring that Bart Prince already knows since he was a very close ally of Goff's in his later years and even finished the LA museum when he died. I'll let ya know if they respond.

Edit: I did it so now I'll just wait and see.

I'll get on it like stink on a junebug (or some other mixed metaphor). Actually there are BOUND to be people with built-in influence in a better position than I to start the rescue. I think I will at least email Kebyar to make sure they know, but I am figuring that Bart Prince already knows since he was a very close ally of Goff's in his later years and even finished the LA museum when he died. I'll let ya know if they respond.

Edit: I did it so now I'll just wait and see.
    10-4

Just heard back from Friends of Kebyar (The real name of the society) and it is sad news. Here is the response:

Bruce,

Here is a copy of the last e-mail I got on the state of the house. I guess the roof and other things supported by the central pipe is down.

It is sad to see it go. It is the best design Goff got built in my opinion. Like a flower it has bloomed and now has faded and has past. It gave us all great pleasure while it was in full bloom. The future is up to the living.

Thanks for your note. What are you doing these days. I have one design project I am working on here in Maine but it probably will not go into construction for a few years.

James

James Walter Schildroth, Architect
    Wiscasset, Maine 04578-0275

Visit my web site:
    http://www.schildrotharchitect.com
    ----------------------------------------------------

FOK Board,

I just got this photo showing the top of the central pipe support leaning severely to the side. No cables are evident. This was taken by Shane Hood, a preservation architecturally educated, though not registered, individual from Tulsa who went to see the house today. He tried to get better photos but was physically restrained from doing so by Bob and Boz Bavinger.

The stone walls remain which may lead some people to think that the house still stands. Without the cable support the roof and suspended pods are on the ground.

A local TV station learned of the situation and went out to investigate. I learned that they were on public property and shots were fired. Subsequently, the Norman police visited and did not see anything wrong, only the normal disrepair. They did not know what the house should have been like.

The story of the TV crew attempt to visit the house was the lead story on Oklahoma channel 9 this evening.

Nelson

Nelson Brackin
    Architect
    PO Box 550904
    Atlanta, GA 30355
    www.nelsonbrackinarchitect.com

nelson.brackin@gmail.com
    404-358-3241

Begin forwarded message:
    > Shane Hood was just there and says that the top part of the spire has toppled over, which likely damaged the inside, too. Here's a photo he took:
    (The picture included is the same as the beginning of the thread.

Isn't the "Teepee Church" on NW 178th and MacArthur a structure built by Bruce Goff? I believe it was the Hopewell Baptist Church at the time of construction. What is becoming of it?

Quote Originally Posted by okcisok View Post
    Isn't the "Teepee Church" on NW 178th and MacArthur a structure built by Bruce Goff? I believe it was the Hopewell Baptist Church at the time of construction. What is becoming of it?
    Last I heard it was being allowed to rot. It is one of my least favorite Goff structures, so even thought I regret it I don't consider it a huge loss. I do hope that it is rehabed someday even if for a new purpose.

shootin at Gan Mathews and restraining an architect from taking photos...Bob dude sounds totally aggro

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    shootin at Gan Mathews and restraining an architect from taking photos...Bob dude sounds totally aggro
    Must be some emotional problems going on. Gan is an old Norman guy...knows those folks and they know him.

Looks like the Bavinger House was left to disrepair and is now falling apart. A testimony to neglect--and perhaps it was a structure too needy of expensive repairs and not really viable for selling. The Wilson home--which was connected by the causeway, had rooms without walls....which is to say the bedrooms were in alcoves without a full wall setting them off. Privacy was provided by design--not walls--and for a family it worked great. One bedroom had a balcony where oldest son (a swimmer) could dive into the pool right from his bedroom. Such a cool home. But, perhaps in today's world, heating and cooling such structures is not an option for any reasonable situation. Sad. They were lovely places--out in the woods...even had a rotating dining room table, the center of it--which was great! No need to pass the mashed potatoes...just turn the table!

The Wilson home--which was connected by the causeway, had rooms without walls....which is to say the bedrooms were in alcoves without a full wall setting them off. Privacy was provided by design--not walls--and for a family it worked great. One bedroom had a balcony where oldest son (a swimmer) could dive into the pool right from his bedroom. Such a cool home. But, perhaps in today's world, heating and cooling such structures is not an option for any reasonable situation.
    The Wilson house is being restored, albeit slowly, by a Norman resident. I've been in since they've been working on it and it's an awesome house. Very unique and beautiful. The owner has made some changes but kept most of Goff's design intact. One of the major changes was turning the old porte a cochere into a bedroom. The old swimming pool, which reverted back to nature during years of neglect, will stay a natural pond with water lilies and resident turtles and frogs. The whole property is surrounded by a bamboo forest.

This house is just south of Bavinger.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The Wilson house is being restored, albeit slowly, by a Norman resident. I've been in since they've been working on it and it's an awesome house. Very unique and beautiful. The owner has made some changes but kept most of Goff's design intact. One of the major changes was turning the old porte a cochere into a bedroom. The old swimming pool, which reverted back to nature during years of neglect, will stay a natural pond with water lilies and resident turtles and frogs. The whole property is surrounded by a bamboo forest.

This house is just south of Bavinger.
    Glad to hear this...I always thought it was better than Bavinger's home anyway--less obtuse. Do you know if it is being restored by a family member?...it would be so great if it was. There are a couple of them in the Norman area, I believe.

Glad to hear this...I always thought it was better than Bavinger's home anyway--less obtuse. Do you know if it is being restored by a family member?...it would be so great if it was. There are a couple of them in the Norman area, I believe.
    No, just a Norman resident that bought it several years ago when it was literally falling apart. It's a beautiful house with the swimming pool in the front (really the back) of the house, which now is a "natural" pond with a wooden deck all around it.

It's just south of Bavinger, off 60th. Probably one of the most unique homes in Norman, along with Goff's other creations Bavinger and Ledbetter.

Thread Information