Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Brickopolis

Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Seems like there are plenty of sites where this hotel could be built. Or renovate upper floors of existing buildings. Maybe they just need to build the hotel Canal side in front of Bass Pro. LOL

As I posted on Steve's newest article:

The retail component of this project is Mr. Johnson's liferaft. If he cared about adding retail to the canal, he would have added it into the design of the 10 story hotel proposal. He is adding the retail so they will approve his parking lot.

Bricktown Urban Design Committee, please reject this entire proposal next month. It does not follow urban design (hint your name), nor is it in the best interest of the city or Bricktown. This is not a good development.

With all the argument about parking, and turning down 10 story hotel proposal, where would the residents of the hotel park? just sayin....lol....Moreover, I am sure the developers that approached Johnson with their hotel proposal have had plans to build a hotel in Bricktown area for a while, so just because Johnson turned them down, doesn't mean they won't build it somewhere else. Therefore, I think its good Johnson turned them away, now we will get 2 potential developments in Bricktown, instead of 1!

Steve, Thanks for the story.

I see what is happening now. Time to Lawyer UP!!

We will see what the BUD is made of and if they truly have any power now that they are facing a determined developer and his attorney.

I put my money on the developer & attorney winning this and doing whatever he wants with his properties. I've heard many times that if one truly wants to challenge the Okc design committees either urban or historic, and you have the lawyers to do so, the city of Okc will cave.

6. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Why is it so hard to find individual emails to Board Members of the BUD? All I've found is the email for the planning department, and lord knows if they would faithfully pass an email along to a certain Design Committee.

Also, I was looking through design guidelines for Bricktown, and it is specifically states that no new parking garage shall have parking at the canal-level or street-levels. VIOLATION. It also states no new surface parking lot shall be located adjacent to, or within 100' of the canal. VIOLATION.

It's pretty simple. He has not complied, so why are they even considering a continuation? DENY! You hear that Avis, Tom, Mark, Bob, Phil?

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Also, I was looking through design guidelines for Bricktown, and it is specifically states that no new parking garage shall have parking at the canal-level or street-levels. VIOLATION. It also states no new surface parking lot shall be located adjacent to, or within 100' of the canal. VIOLATION.
    The argument is that this is not a new surface lot but a roof that is most efficiently used for parking.

If this project must have parking, it would be best under the retail on the west side. Then it would not be visible.

8. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    The argument is that this is not a new surface lot but a roof that is most efficiently used for parking.

If this project must have parking, it would be best under the retail on the west side. Then it would not be visible.
    From the same post you just quoted from me: "...I was looking through design guidelines for Bricktown, and it is specifically states that no new parking garage shall have parking at the canal-level or street-levels."

So even if it is not a parking lot, there is also a compliance guideline for parking garages, which this still violates, because it has been made clear by Chris Johnson he plans on adding two more levels of garage above the parking deck. The only reason I mentioned the parking lot code is because I can see how some may perceive it as a lot, and not a structure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This site has a very tragic recent history.
    Yes, it has. But I will tell you Gary Cotton was serious and worked hard. I know Gary and I saw what he was doing and visited with him about his efforts. I just think it was very ambitious for him and the timing was torpedoed by the economy. He invested a great deal of his own money and it was a big bet that he couldn't collect on. But, it was something that would have benefitted the canal area and BT very much.

Default Re: Bricktown | "House of Bedlam"

......It's pretty simple. He has not complied, so why are they even considering a continuation?........
    Because his attorney is bigger and badder than your attorney, that is why.

Whenever push comes to shove in Okc, design guideline really mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yes, it has. But I will tell you Gary Cotton was serious and worked hard. I know Gary and I saw what he was doing and visited with him about his efforts. I just think it was very ambitious for him and the timing was torpedoed by the economy. He invested a great deal of his own money and it was a big bet that he couldn't collect on. But, it was something that would have benefitted the canal area and BT very much.
    I would second this, in terms of what the project would have done for Bricktown. Wow. But I had also heard from multiple people that Cotton was an inexperienced developer who was refusing the assistance of other more experienced developers..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I would second this, in terms of what the project would have done for Bricktown. Wow. But I had also heard from multiple people that Cotton was an inexperienced developer who was refusing the assistance of other more experienced developers..
    Perhaps he didn't listen to some others, but he did hire some pretty good professionals and he worked very hard on the project. Gary had limited experience and, as I said, it was an ambitious project for him. Maybe he was in over his head, but I think his intentions were good. That is as opposed to current efforts which I think is NOT for the good intentions of the area. House of Bedlam seems like a good deal for the developer but it shouts "I don't give a damn about BT or OKC". Ironically, it is a business that plays up loyalty to state entities.

From the same post you just quoted from me: "...I was looking through design guidelines for Bricktown, and it is specifically states that no new parking garage shall have parking at the canal-level or street-levels."

So even if it is not a parking lot, there is also a compliance guideline for parking garages, which this still violates, because it has been made clear by Chris Johnson he plans on adding two more levels of garage above the parking deck. The only reason I mentioned the parking lot code is because I can see how some may perceive it as a lot, and not a structure.
    He did not commit to building the garage at the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Perhaps he didn't listen to some others, but he did hire some pretty good professionals and he worked very hard on the project. Gary had limited experience and, as I said, it was an ambitious project for him. Maybe he was in over his head, but I think his intentions were good. That is as opposed to current efforts which I think is NOT for the good intentions of the area. House of Bedlam seems like a good deal for the developer but it shouts "I don't give a damn about BT or OKC". Ironically, it is a business that plays up loyalty to state entities.
    Yup. This deal wreaks of bottom line except for the obvious that if a shoddy business like this is allowed in Bricktown then that causes damage to the bottom line of the district as a whole. Classier businesses would suffer from letting this crud actually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    With all the argument about parking, and turning down 10 story hotel proposal, where would the residents of the hotel park? just sayin....lol....Moreover, I am sure the developers that approached Johnson with their hotel proposal have had plans to build a hotel in Bricktown area for a while, so just because Johnson turned them down, doesn't mean they won't build it somewhere else. Therefore, I think its good Johnson turned them away, now we will get 2 potential developments in Bricktown, instead of 1!
    Probably not, that inside corner of the canal is a special site and deserves a special development. Those wanting to develop a hotel on that particular corner may not have an interest in developing one elsewhere in Bricktown. One developed elsewhere would probably be very similar to what is already there and not what would be done on the grassy knoll.

What it seems like you are saying is any development for the sake of development is a good thing, I disagree. There is a big difference between a polished turd (what this proposal is) and something proper for its location. If he wanted to put this development somewhere else in Bricktown away from the canal, it is alright with what he has proposed. A development like he has proposed has no business being on the canal. As many of us have stated, the grass currently there is better than anything he has proposed because once a piece of crap goes in there, it will be there for a long, long time.

House of Bedlam development stalled again
    By Brianna Bailey
    Journal Record
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
    Posted: 08:14 PM Wednesday, October 12, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY – Plans for the House of Bedlam development on the Bricktown Canal continue to be held up by the Bricktown Urban Design Committee.

The committee held off voting on the plans once again on Wednesday after a heated hour-and-a-half discussion. The plans have been held up by the committee several times since June.

Committee members on Wednesday raised concerns with everything from the visibility of a parking structure that is part of the project to handicapped accessibility and the design elements in windows of the project.

House of Bedlam owner Chris Johnson wants to build a sports memorabilia store and cafe on the Bricktown Canal, but has run into problems convincing the committee to approve plans for street-level parking on the canal – land many had hoped would one day become shops, restaurants or high-end condominiums.

Architect and Bricktown Urban Design Committee member Tom Wilson said he was opposed to the House of Bedlam project and urged other committee members to hold off on voting because he claimed design documents submitted to the city were inaccurate and inconsistent.

Even with additional documentation, Wilson said he planned to vote against the development.

“I don’t think this is the right project for Bricktown,” Wilson said. “I’m going to vote with my conscious and oppose it.”
    Johnson returned to the committee on Wednesday with drawings that show a parking lot screened with shrubbery and brick planters.

“This is 30,000 square feet of badly needed retail space in Bricktown with only 55 parking spaces,” David Box, an attorney for Johnson, told the committee.

The revised plans show a one-story canal-level brick building that would house the House of Bedlam business across from the Bricktown Ballpark on Mickey Mantle Drive, and a parking structure to the west with additional retail space at canal level. A pedestrian bridge spanning the canal would link the two buildings. Johnson plans to lease out the additional retail space below the garage.

The committee told Johnson to come to its next monthly meeting with new site plans and drawings of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    This is 30,000 square feet of badly needed retail space in Bricktown with only 55 parking spaces.
    If he nixed the "only 55 parking spaces" he could probably get the green light. He won't do that though because all he wants is the parking spaces.

Here is Steve's take on the same story.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-bri...ad_story_title

I pray that if they ever end up voting on this that they vote a big fat effin' NO!!

This makes me sick! Always going to be small town with crap developments like this! smh!

21. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Question to those upset with these designs: does this debate have any impact on your opinion of Johnson's business, USA Screen Printing?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Question to those upset with these designs: does this debate have any impact on your opinion of Johnson's business, USA Screen Printing?
    No, nor should it!

Absolutely! He puts out a crap development like this, what does that say about how he runs his busniess? I have never been to his place but didn't think anything negative about it. After this I refuse to support USA Screen Printing.

I might be jumping the gun here but this is the one site on the canal that has the most potential and I want this one to be right, not a waste of space, not a money hungry land owner who wants to make a quick buck off of parking but a solid development. That is worth waiting for imho.

Amid all the skewed-angle renderings of the proposed brick buildings, there was a small site plan that clearly shows that most of their development would be about 75% parking:

25. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Pete, keep in mind there is retail underneath the entirety of the parking on the west side of this property

Thread Information