Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brickopolis

Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Not that it matters, but who 'broke' this story? was it on here (Arch2010) or were journal record and newsok/dok sitting on this info to 'break' at a later date? I suppose anyone could look up meeting info...
    Since you asked, I found this on the Bricktown Urban Design Committee agenda on Friday. I read all of the city committee agendas. It's part of my job. Good for you for reading them too.

I think most urban/Bricktown observers knew that Gary Berlin was going to do something, either sell or actually do some work, but not many people knew when or what. The Chris Johnson (House of Bedlam) was much more of a surprise to people.

In reference to the Journal Record article - the Bricktown Urban Design Committee meeting is NOT postponed. Staff is recommending a continuance for the House of Bedlam.

Count me as someone who's highly skeptical of the design of the House of Bedlam proposal (not that my skepticism matters). First, I'm not sure how I feel about a two story building taking up that location. But, oh well, it's his land and people seem anxious to get some new buildings in there.

More importantly, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the parking lots the developer wants to put in there will be permanent, paid lots like every other lot in Bricktown. I'm just sick of seeing surface lot after surface lot downtown--and now we get two more that will be rented out for $10 to $20 per space!

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I think most urban/Bricktown observers knew that Gary Berlin was going to do something, either sell or actually do some work, but not many people knew when or what. The Chris Johnson (House of Bedlam) was much more of a surprise to people.

In reference to the Journal Record article - the Bricktown Urban Design Committee meeting is NOT postponed. Staff is recommending a continuance for the House of Bedlam.
    I have corrected the story. City staff have recommended a continuance, but there will probably still be discussion on the matter.

House of Bedlam? That is the second cheesiest name I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chautauqua View Post
    not a new name it is a new location for his existing business

This whole project is an abortion.

8. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Although I don't think arch2010 should have gotten as defensive as he did in his post, considering he did beat the journalists to the punch.
    What are you even talking about? Man, some of you must think you can read minds or something; what a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chautauqua View Post
    So what is #1?

10. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    So what is #1?
    Oklahoma City Boulevard?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    So what is #1?
    Beef Jerky Emporium?

Interesting:

Chris Johnson, a veteran Bricktown parking lot operator, was told Wednesday the Bricktown Design Committee has no interest in allowing him to open more parking along the Bricktown Canal. Johnson, who owns USA Screen Printing, built and opened the first paid surface lot along the canal in 1998 while indicating he was contemplating building a hotel on the site. Instead, he continued to operate it as paid parking before selling it to the late Jim Brewer five years ago.

http://www.newsok.com/parking-debate...ad_story_title

Good. Good for the Bricktown Committee. Glad to see they do have some juevos. Hopefully a new proposal will be brought up, but I don't see it happening from this guy.

14. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

I'm not sure that legally it can be stopped - though certainly Chris Johnson has a business (USA Screen Printing) that relies on public good will. If you guys are opposed to this, I suspect people like you (average people not afraid to voice opposition) will be the ones with the best shot at getting it stopped.
    For what it's worth, McDonald's changed the design of its Bricktown restaurant due to public protests; they likely could have overcome any decision by the design committee due to the way this ordinance is written.

Steve, were the McDonald's changes due to public protest or City level?

then we clearly need to change the ordinance..... on an differnt but related topic ..... I heard a great idea yesterday that would help end this Parking lot problem in bricktown ... .. what if the city built a parking garage in bricktown and made it free? or just reclaimed some of their owned lots and made parking free in those ?

17. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Except there isn't a parking problem in bricktown. Unless there's a baseball AND thunder game going on, then i can park anywhere i want for free. Yes you walk, but you could probably use the exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Except there isn't a parking problem in bricktown. Unless there's a baseball AND thunder game going on, then i can park anywhere i want for free. Yes you walk, but you could probably use the exercise.
    there are tons of paid lots that currently make owners lots and lots of money .... . clearly developers still want to build new lots on prime canal side land ... if the city opened a huge lot and said parking is free here ... it would incourage developers to build something on their empty parking lots

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    ... what if the city built a parking garage in bricktown and made it free? or just reclaimed some of their owned lots and made parking free in those?
    As to more canal side parking, free or paid, that's a real Alexander sort of idea and should not happen.

Besides, city provided free parking is an interesting, but I think unnecessary, concept. There is no difficulty in locating free parking in or near BT. Indeed the city or some one built a honking huge lot just south of Bass Pro a while back, and it's rarely ever even 1/4 full. I wish it was never built. It seems uneeded and it gets way to close to the canal on that end, as does the new I-40, and both tent to ruin what had been a peaceful setting. Personal peeve I know, but it's my peeve, and I find I own it way better than I can bury it.

As an out of towner, I tend to hear it's folks like me who frequent BT more so than the locals. If that's even remotely accurate, why on earth would the city stop doing something else with its limited money that could primarily benefit the locals and instead supply, operate and keep maintained free parking lots closer in to the venues and attractions for me and other non-residents? Not that we would mind actually, but is that the best use of scarce city funds when the city was laying off PS and other dept. employees not so long ago and deferring equipment purchases, and well, let's face it, Project 180 is nice and all that, but OKC street departments have some road work cut out for them in other areas too.

though certainly Chris Johnson has a business (USA Screen Printing) that relies on public good will.
    Yep, and I am surely not doing business with them if they did this. No way.

The reality is that the canal was made to boost downtown's attractiveness to visitors and the more prime real estate used for parking the less there is for actual attractions. I hate to say it, but with Mid-Town and AA slowly coming up in stature for entertainment and dining options, plans like this could very well send Bricktown the way of the West End. Yeah, maybe there will be more paid parking in Bricktown, but there will be less and less to do and, therefore, less reason to park there.

What's funny is that mid-town has more of a real parking problem, but developers there seem to understand that it adding more parking should be done very cautiously so it doesn't hurt the potential density and appeal of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Yeah, maybe there will be more paid parking in Bricktown, but there will be less and less to do and, therefore, less reason to park there.
    I'm not in favor of parking in that location in the least but the parking is not a cause of less to do there. It's just a deterrent for a better use which would give more to do.

Thanks for posting our gallery. I'm pleased to see people have looked at our website over the past couple of days. My cousin had the sign mentioned in Warreng88's post prior. She had brought it to Boston for a planned restaurant but the plans fell through. One of the current owners Lynette of West Indies Trading Company called me about our website and had a great interest in the family history and what I knew about the building.

My dad also 'Bob Mideke' worked at Mideke's for most of his life. He was there when the business closed and helped settle all debts and dissolve the leftover stock before their closing. It was sad to see the business close after so many years but the economy had been hard on them during the late 80's and the early 90's and they decided to shut it down.

In 2005 my dad died having serious problems with diabetes but I fondly remember the times we spent together at Mideke Supply and the friendly people that worked there.

I got a lot of the books and catalogs from my step-mom about a year ago and it was too much of a chance to share this history to pass up when I was approached by a business friend who had left over stock from a plumbing supply who was looking for someplace to sell it. My wife and I decided to start Mideke Supply on the internet so sellers of the merchandise could find buyers interested in buying it.

Bob Mideke – MidekeSupply.com – MySiteAmerica.com

It's just a deterrent for a better use which would give more to do.
    Which would equal less to do than otherwise would have been. As in, there is not much to do in lower bricktown because it is mostly parking. Sorry if I confused.

Whoops. Looks like someone got put out, took their toys and went home:

A controversial proposal to build parking lots along the Bricktown Canal may be scaled back with news that part of the land sale required for the development has fallen through.
    Gary Cotton, who owned lots east and west of the canal west of Mickey Mantle Drive, told The Oklahoman the applicant, Chris Johnson, bought the east lot from him but only had a contract for the west lot. That contract was canceled following a refusal earlier this month by the Bricktown Urban Design Commission to approve Johnson's plans for buildings that would have retail space on the canal level and parking at street level.

Read more: http://newsok.com/part-of-parking-pr...#ixzz1QZZC1qjA

25. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

I'm not sure if these renderings or information is "new", as I can't access some of the older NewsOK articles, but here is the updated submission to the Bricktown Urban Design Committee for the House of Bedlam proposal. He has added significant canal-level retail since his first proposal of the same name. A new building is to be constructed where the two story garage was proposed. Around it, is the same parking garage, but now with retail on the canal level, and not parking. The garage is still able to have two floors added on at a later date. Also, the small parking lot south of the House of Bedlam building now also has canal level retail instead of just a wall. You have to admit, that this guy is listening to the Bricktown Design Committee! I'm glad they showed restraint, because this development has progressed bounds from the original.

Courtesy of the Bricktown Urban Design Committee, September 14th, 2011 Agenda.

Thread Information