Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Brickopolis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Well it's hard to say there is no way he's open by this summer, considering this development will probably require a week to construct.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well it's hard to say there is no way he's open by this summer, considering this development will probably require a week to construct.
    Well it won't take long to spread a little gravel for the parking lot anyway.

Building permit today for this project.

Should see earth moving there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Building permit today for this project.

Should see earth moving there soon.
    Well, at least some more grass bites the dust. The bad thing with having so much open space is that we are going to have to put up with a lot of crappy projects until we run out of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Well, at least some more grass bites the dust. The bad thing with having so much open space is that we are going to have to put up with a lot of crappy projects until we run out of space.
    I do not see that day coming any time soon.

6. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Construction set to start on House of Bedlam in Bricktown

BY STEVE LACKMEYER slackmeyer@opubco.com
    Published: January 31, 2012

Construction is set to begin next month on the House of Bedlam development in Bricktown. The project by USA Screenprinting owner Chris Johnson, is set to include a cafe, gift shop, 30,000 square feet of retail space and street-level parking on both sides of the Bricktown Canal.

it will be interesting to see how this turns out ...

i am at least a little bit of the thought that something is better than nothing ....

i know this is not the ideal project ... but it doesn't take much to improve upon 2 empty grass lots

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    ...it doesn't take much to improve upon 2 empty grass lots
    And yet the task wasn't accomplished. I have difficulty thinking of a worse place to add parking in BT, and that's coming from somehow who still hasn't quite gotten over the idiocy of installing parking along so much of the southern leg of the canal. As bad as the huge lot south of Bass Pro continues to be, this t shirt coffee haus excuse for plopping in a parking lot is worse in my opinion. Others see it differently, and it was his property to decide how to use. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.
    Yep and I am certainly not sending any of my t-shirt business to USA screen printing anymore. Not that it matters to him. It's just one account, but I just can't support this junk in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Yep and I am certainly not sending any of my t-shirt business to USA screen printing anymore. Not that it matters to him. It's just one account, but I just can't support this junk in any way.
    If all of us took this approach/attitude, and refused to do business with any company we disagreed with on any said item, where would we shop ?

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    If all of us took this approach/attitude, and refused to do business with any company we disagreed with on any said item, where would we shop ?
    I don't disagree with very many businesses so there would be plenty of places to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    At places where the shopper agrees with what they know of the owner's policies. I do this all the time - I've stopped shopping at many places after I've found out certain things I don't agree with and I almost always find an equivalent place to shop. It's called a conscience.

It's so crazy to me to see all these debbie downer posts about this particular project.
    Guess what? Its a prime piece of real estate that has sat vacant for YEARS.
    The free market economy has not warranted any improvements to the property until NOW (all others fell through).
    We have an individual willing to put his money where his mouth is and develop this space!
    In my personal opinion its not exactly what I would like to see for that space, but why in the world would anyone rather that area stay grass than have millions of dollars spent to improve it?
    People should probably learn to manage their expectations..

14. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Or maybe you should manage your expectations of other people's opinions...

I don't personally "like" this project, but I'm excited to see something different come up along the canal. I think there's nothing wrong though with having hoped something more could have came out of the site. In a realistic world, there very well could have been an 8-story hotel or whathaveyou on this site, it just didn't happen that way.

In my personal opinion its not exactly what I would like to see for that space, but why in the world would anyone rather that area stay grass than have millions of dollars spent to improve it?
    Developments can often have a downward pull on an area and hinder its improvement for years to come. Sometimes it is better to have nothing. Seriously. You could have put an Arby's there and I don't think anyone would be thinking "I'm so glad this is finally getting developed. Now Bricktown will really begin to fill up!". IMO, this development only continues the philosophy that has made Bricktown development in general grow stagnant. For it really to achieve some sort of critical mass it needs better pedestrian flow and less surface parking occupying prime spots. This only serves to exacerbate Bricktown's shortcomings rather than improve upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Developments can often have a downward pull on an area and hinder its improvement for years to come. Sometimes it is better to have nothing. Seriously. You could have put an Arby's there and I don't think anyone would be thinking "I'm so glad this is finally getting developed. Now Bricktown will really begin to fill up!". IMO, this development only continues the philosophy that has made Bricktown development in general grow stagnant. For it really to achieve some sort of critical mass it needs better pedestrian flow and less surface parking occupying prime spots. This only serves to exacerbate Bricktown's shortcomings rather than improve upon them.
    Point taken, but its not like we have people just lined up to develop this site..
    I was a fan of the Cotton Exchange, but that is LONG gone. Have we not gotten over that? Is that everyone's expectation for ths site? They did set the bar pretty high. That was going to be a cool project.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    Point taken, but its not like we have people just lined up to develop this site..
    I was a fan of the Cotton Exchange, but that is LONG gone. Have we not gotten over that? Is that everyone's expectation for ths site? They did set the bar pretty high. That was going to be a cool project.
    Honestly, I don't think it needs to be anything that grand, although it obviously would have been cool. But this is pretty bad. The worst part is that it is on ground that is kind of the center piece of the canal. It really is the gateway from the street to the canal. It's also an important connection from Bricktown to Lower Bricktown. So now really, the center of Bricktown on Sheridan is largely a parking lot, the gateway to the canal and down Mickey Mantle will feature a surface parking lot at its center, and Lower Bricktown is more surface parking than anything else. So it ends up being as much emptiness as it is attractions.

It just kind of feels like Bricktown has lost some potential and it now just is was it is, and that's what's it's gonna be. IMO, this project is kind of the capstone to Bricktown's legacy of development mediocrity. At one time, I did think Bricktown could be a dense, vibrant, and diverse entertainment district as good as many in the country and better than some in the region. But I don't really see that any more. Unless something comes along that tries to really make a positive impact, this is it for Bricktown.

Due to its location, this site had the potential to really breathe life back into bricktown in terms of development and get people interested in the canal again, but I honestly don't see how this is an improvement in any way. I almost think it would have been better to commit it to green space and spruce it up than to just just pave over most of it and park cars on it.

I'm with you spartan. I would rather see them round up all the painted bisons and turn the spot into a permanent corral, and I only kinda sorta liked the painted critters.

If any new buildings are built on the canal, or just in bricktown...they can't be glass right?..maybe all brick

What a waste.....of time, money and space.
    It seems like the lowest common denominator still is unfortunately the OKC standard.

This is a complete and total abortion. My company often hosts events in Bricktown / Downtown. I will make sure we never spend a dime there.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This is a complete and total abortion. My company often hosts events in Bricktown / Downtown. I will make sure we never spend a dime there.
    You like the term "abortion", don't you? This is the second day in a row you've used it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    What I don't understand is why the parking is being built. I don't mind the building but since when did we need more surface parking in Bricktown?
    because peeps will pay for close in spaces rather than stroll in from farther out free spaces

24. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    because peeps will pay for close in spaces rather than stroll in from farther out free spaces
    Kevin, et al, although I generally agree that this project could certainly have been a lot better, it is also true that people with breathing or walking handicaps don't have the capability of "strolling in from further out free places," and I'm one of the "peeps" due to breathing issues. I just cannot walk for 1 to 1/2 block without being totally winded, and sometimes not even that far, depending on the temperature (either very hot or very cold = bad for me). So, it's not a totally black and white issue is all I'm saying.

25. Default Re: Bricktown| "House of Bedlam"

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Kevin, et al, although I generally agree that this project could certainly have been a lot better, it is also true that people with breathing or walking handicaps don't have the capability of "strolling in from further out free places," and I'm one of the "peeps" due to breathing issues. I just cannot walk for 1 to 1/2 block without being totally winded, and sometimes not even that far, depending on the temperature (either very hot or very cold = bad for me). So, it's not a totally black and white issue is all I'm saying.
    With total respect intended towards you and your health, you are the exception to the rule. Ninety percent of those who whine about there not being enough parking within a couple blocks of their destination are so used to the drive-thru culture. Every major development in major cities have accommodations for those with disabilities. There are plenty of handicapped spaces readily available even in the downtown areas of major east coast cities. However, there is not parking for those who do not NEED it always readily available. It is the simple elementary difference between Needs and Wants. Too many people WANT to walk less than a block from their car, even if they do not NEED to do so.

Thread Information