Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Mideke Building

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mideke Building

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It's no different than saying U2, the Replacements and R.E.M. played in the basement below what is now McNellie's at Plaza Court. Just because it won't happen again doesn't change the fact that it happened.

What I would give to have seen any of those shows. McNellie's has a basement? Why don't they use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Rev Run did a DJ set there a couple of years ago, which I attended. Not the same wheelhouse as those guys, but all are certainly big names in music. The fact that there haven't been any lately doesn't diminish what Chris said, namely "a lot of big-name, national DJs have played there..." It is a 100% accurate statement. It's no different than saying U2, the Replacements and R.E.M. played in the basement below what is now McNellie's at Plaza Court. Just because it won't happen again doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Regarding Moby, he wouldn't have played ANY club date in OKC. He was booked strictly as a part of the ACM@UCO music festival and as a masters class subject.
    Okay whats your point? The beach boys and alan jackson, etc. played at All sports stadium too. I guess that makes it one of our best venues of all time, right? And your point about Moby actually coincides with what I was saying, OKC gets very few big name DJs, to just come play...You guys can't think of a big timer who has played City walk in the last 3 years (besides Rev Run), yet still want to argue... Besides the Tiesto, PvD, and Oakenfold, are international DJs not nationally, so kudos to City Walk for getting them, back in the day.

3. Default Re: Mideke Building

The whole building has a basement. In the 60s there was a go-go club down there. When they came in in the 80s to put in the original Bowery, there were still "birdcages" for the go-go dancers. There have been some great articles in the Gazette about the original Bowery days in the basement of that building, and some amazing punk acts played there before it closed. Later the Bowery II opened in the old church on Classen, which later became clubs like Pandaemonium, Infinity and King of Clubs. I saw Violent Femmes in the old church, but I was too young and/or lived elsewhere during the O.G. Bowery days. Would have loved to have seen those shows myself.

Default Mideke Building

Quote Originally Posted by OkieNate View Post
    When was Tiesto, PvD, at city walk..?
    Tiesto came in October of 2008. I remember because I was there. They brought him in cause ticket sales for PVD were impressive but the numbers for Tiesto were astonishing. He sold out in something like 3 days. I got my tickets through his website for $25 apiece...

How is 2008 back in the day? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil Jon was here what felt like recently. Jonathan Davis (lead singer of Korn) guest DJ's and did a set at Citywalk, I am told. Pauly D from the Jersey Shore is a DJ and he did a set back in 2011.

As expected, the Bricktown Design Review Committee passed the design in today's meeting.

7. Default Re: Mideke Building

Are they covering up or replacing the brick? A lot of these places use brick that can't be recreated so hopefully they store it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Are they covering up or replacing the brick? A lot of these places use brick that can't be recreated so hopefully they store it somewhere.
    Just curious, why can't it be recreated? Is there some special mix they used we aren't sure how to replicate or something?

You can recreate brick but the weathering and mixtures make it tricky. Its like having two brothers that everyone says looks identical. No matter how much people think they do; you can always see the differences when they are side by side

Blog Entries

Also older buildings are often made with clay bricks which aren't usually used these days in new construction, right? And I'm under the impression there are companies that recover clay bricks from old building demos and resell them because it's more cost prohibitive to make clay bricks these days?

$4 million building permit application was filed today.

Will be interesting to see when City Walk closes down. Should be soon.

CityWalk closed 3 days ago.

^

Thanks!

Martin said the renovation should be completed by March 2015. He is hoping to fill the first floor with retail and restaurants.

“We believe that Main Street is coming alive,” Martin said. “We see the Holiday Inn Express opening across the street as a big move forward. We see Skinny Slims as a positive for the street. I believe we can make Main Street more of a retail corridor, so we are seeking out shops for the first floor and we want a restaurant for the corner space.”

Anytime I hear about "Bricktown Retail," my ears perk up. It's something we have been missing on an epic level. I still believe that the best spot for a retail corridor in Bricktown would be the Canal and street levels on the north end of the Canal. It seems like that might not ever happen, making Main Street the next best option. But even if North Canal retail were to come true, something like this would be a phenominal complement to such development. And who knows, perhaps this could all work the opposite of how my uneducated mind believes it should, and Main St retail will filter south.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    CityWalk closed 3 days ago.

No they did not build this city...

There is a definite niche for places like CityWalk in this town. It's clear that most residents and property owners want them out of Bricktown but I hope they start popping up somewhere else.

Blog Entries

I'm not saying they did, but if they built this city, then maybe they can open up in core to shore and build that for a few years for us.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    There is a definite niche for places like CityWalk in this town. It's clear that most residents and property owners want them out of Bricktown but I hope they start popping up somewhere else.
    I feel like you're coming around. I agree with this statement. I'd say Campus Corner is a place that it would thrive. Especially, during school and football season.

If they did build this city, they could have at least used a picture of OKC. Is that Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    I feel like you're coming around. I agree with this statement. I'd say Campus Corner is a place that it would thrive. Especially, during school and football season.
    I do wonder where the future of the (non-country) club scene in OKC is going to be. The future of Bricktown will look a lot more like Deep Deuce or Midtown on steroids than the Bricktown most OKCitians grew up with. Maybe the Farmer's Market area? Capitol Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    That would be going straight to their demographic..

Drove by Friday and noticed they were emptying a ton of bar stools out of Citywalk in to a big moving truck. They were coming out of the north side of the one story building, if that makes sense.

Steve's update.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5117493?embargo=1

“When I stand in the building, and I picture every one of those bricks being gone on the east (the alley wall where windows will be added), it will be amazing,” Martin said. “It’s very necessary to open up a building that is this wide, to get that light into it.”
    Martin hopes to fill the corner ground floor space, across from the new Holiday Inn Express, with a restaurant.

“We are looking for something that will be new to Bricktown, something that will complement the area – not another Mexican restaurant (Bricktown has four Mexican restaurants),” Martin said. “I think Kitchen No. 324 was an excellent addition to downtown when it opened in the Braniff Building. So we want something like that.”

Thread Information