Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dick's Sporting Goods

Default Re: Dick's Sporting Goods

I don't seeing them being much competion for Academy or Bass Pro. The general consensus from the reviews I read (which consisted of people from several areas around the country) was they were overpriced, lacked on selection and customer service was similar to Walmart. Employee: If you want buy it, fine let me ring you up. Just don't ask me anything about it. Because I'm Just as clueless as you are.)

I also noticed they don't carry handguns just mediocre shotguns and rifles. Right now Academy is the place to go in Oklahoma City if your into shooting sports and outdoor supplies. They almost always have what I'm looking for and the price is reasonable. Not to mention the products are built to last unlike the cheap might as well be disaposable gear they sell at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    I don't seeing them being much competion for Academy or Bass Pro. The general consensus from the reviews I read (which consisted of people from several areas around the country) was they were overpriced, lacked on selection and customer service was similar to Walmart. Employee: If you want buy it, fine let me ring you up. Just don't ask me anything about it. Because I'm Just as clueless as you are.)

I also noticed they don't carry handguns just mediocre shotguns and rifles. Right now Academy is the place to go in Oklahoma City if your into shooting sports and outdoor supplies. They almost always have what I'm looking for and the price is reasonable. Not to mention the products are built to last unlike the cheap might as well be disaposable gear they sell at Walmart.
    I see the opposite. Dick's Sporting Goods has way more selection than Academy and everytime I go to Dick's where I live in Dallas the service is great and the staff are very friendly. I would like to see Dick"s in OKC for competition reasons because in my opinion, Academy has a lot to be desired.

Could be MUCH worse...a certain incident that is has been in the news this week comes to mind...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post

I disagree as well, have you ever even been to a Dick's? You can't get North Face or Murrell at Academy, Academy is for the redneck outdoorsman crowd, and the value price crowd. They carry very little selection of quality apparel, and other sports gear like Golf, or running. Dicks doesn't carry kitche stuff and random junk like Academy.

5. Default Re: Dick's Sporting Goods

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I disagree as well, have you ever even been to a Dick's? You can't get North Face or Murrell at Academy, Academy is for the redneck outdoorsman crowd, and the value price crowd. They carry very little selection of quality apparel, and other sports gear like Golf, or running. Dicks doesn't carry kitche stuff and random junk like Academy.
    I agree with this. Academy simply doesn't carry the nicer brands like Dick's does.

Coming soon to 89th and south Western!

7. Default Re: Dick's Sporting Goods

That a teaser or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    Coming soon to 89th and south Western!
    Source??

Was on the storefront at Brookwood shopping center. Guitar center, True value, Dicks and some others.

That would be cool if true, although like I mentioned before They need to open somewhere by Quail Springs Mall.

If not mistaken the rendering was showing possible/hoped for tenants and nothing firm. Don't recall which thread it was in but someone pointed out that the frontage for each store would be much smaller than their normal ones (therefore unlikely to be really happening). Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Lot of work going on at Brookwood shopping center!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    If not mistaken the rendering was showing possible/hoped for tenants and nothing firm. Don't recall which thread it was in but someone pointed out that the frontage for each store would be much smaller than their normal ones (therefore unlikely to be really happening). Guess we will just have to wait and see.
    Yeah, I started that thread. The "Dick's Sporting Goods" was one of several stores depicted in an artist's rendering of the completely rebuilt/remodeled Brookwood Shopping Center on the SE corner of SW 89th and Western. Other subjective tenants in the rendering included a Tru Value hardware store. That said, I do believe they were renderings/conceptual illustrations only - I don't think they were intended to convey contracted tenants. It would be great to have some nice, new options in that center.

Have you ever tried to buy shoes at Academy? It is junk. They are just lined up like they would be at Payless or Shoe Carnival. You just rumage through and hope to find your size. There selection is pretty poor too.
    The golf section is a joke. Its the equivalent of 1 aisle at a Wal-Mart and they do not sell the latest models of clubs. Dicks would be a welcome edition, I would love to see one on the NW side.

Well, for what it is worth the Dick's Sporting Goods company aircraft landed in OKC this afternoon.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...845Z/KEKY/KOKC

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I am not brand shopper. I learned a long time ago that many of the brand names are not any better quality then most of the house brands sold at each store. In most cases you are paying for the name and nothing more. Then it top it all off, they get to use you for free advertising. I look at the quality of the item before the name. Buying a brand name does not mean your getting a quality product. I refuse to pay $80.00 for an item that only has $10.00 worth of material and workmanship put in to it just so I can have a brand name.

Question Dick's Sporting Goods

I was in one of the new Tulsa stores yesterday and they said they were coming to OKC in 6 or 7 months but did not know the location(s).

I can not confirm this information on their website or through contacting anyone through the website.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Someone on here has been saying for a while that they would be coming to the area around the outlet mall.

I recently visited a Dicks sporting goods in Topeka.
    They had a nice golfing set up but I didn’t really see much they had that isn’t already in our market.

I would rather have a Cabela's

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I would rather have a Cabela's
    ^This. I went to the Cabela's in Ft. Worth earlier this year when I was down there. Really a great store.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    ^This. I went to the Cabela's in Ft. Worth earlier this year when I was down there. Really a great store.
    It’s a great store isn’t it.....
    I have also been to Cabela's in Kansas City and there store in Phoenix.
    Among other things they have the best selection of high quality extreme cold weather gear that I have ever found.

Cabella's is more akin to Bass Pro than Dick's. Academy (or Sports Authority) would be the direct competitor to Dick's, not Cabela's.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    I think Cabelas would fit in Edmond just off of I-35. Oh and good news for OKC about Dick's Sporting goods.

24. Default Re: Dick's Sporting Goods

I had heard at one point Cabela's wanted to come to OKC but was told since Bass Pro was already here. They weren't interested. If this is so, Edmond and surrounding cities need to take note of this and capitolize on it. Would be good to have both Bass Pro and Cabela's in town.

There have been rumors that there was a Dick's sporting goods heading for the remodeled Brookwood shopping center at SW 89th and Western. Now, I'll immediately caveat that by saying that rumor had started (at least from one angle) by virtue of an artist's rendering of the remodeled mall that included a "Dick's" sign over one of the shops, which was clearly a conjectural rendering...

Thread Information