Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Walcourt

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Walcourt

Brent Swift ridding himself of this project was just terrible luck for those of us who want to see it saved.

Still no movement here.

Someone got inside and took a great video.

To no surprise, the place is a complete disaster.

Blog Entries

So, what do you think the new endgame on this is Pete?

Blog Entries

as long as rainey williams doesn't buy it, we should avert disaster

6. Default Re: Walcourt

The wrong person gets inside and this is no longer a conversation. In my opinion this is the most imminently threatened significant historic structure in OKC right now and it is massively concerning that it remains relatively unsecured and in this condition with no apparent remedy underway.

FWIW, the person who took that video was invited in by people doing some minor cleanup on the outside.

Otherwise, there is a locked fence all around.

I realized that doesn't provide complete protection but the building is also not sitting wide open.

Having said all that, yes, something needs to happen here soon and the longer it doesn't, the more worried I become.

8. Default Re: Walcourt

^^^^^^^^^
    Good to know the fence is secured. I drive by it regularly and knew there was a fence but had (and still have) doubts that a fence/gate couldn’t be easily scaled or otherwise defeated by a determined miscreant. After that it looks completely unsecured. It’s worrisome.

Yaay! I was starting to get nervous about this building.

i'm glad something is moving forward here but i have to say that i was more excited when the project was residential rather than office.

did they have a fire last night? this morning the road was blocked at 13th,and I could smell burnt wood (but we smell roasted coffee regularly..)

Quote Originally Posted by drinner-okc View Post
    did they have a fire last night? this morning the road was blocked at 13th,and I could smell burnt wood (but we smell roasted coffee regularly..)
    Yes, there was a fire.
    http://www.news9.com/story/39915617/...kc-church-fire

^

This is exactly what happens when you let structures sit vacant for a long time: In the colder months, those looking for shelter get inside and set fires to keep warm.

A 100-year old Victorian house just burned to the ground to the west of Scissortail Park (not owned by the Strawberry Fields group) and it was one of the very few structures in that area that was important to save.

I have yet to see any building permits for restoring this building, as the new owner has promised in the Oklahoman at least twice.

That place was supposed to be secured. they should have built a wall around it!.

Does anyone know the extent of the damage?
    Last edited by Jeepnokc; 02-07-2019 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling error

I don't know the extent of this recent fire, but I can tell you there has been at least one fire before this one. The interior of this building is in really bad shape, but the exterior is in good shape definitely worth saving.

Drove by today and noticed a new roof going on, at least in the middle section. At least some work has started.

Funny you mention that because I noticed the same thing and took a photo:

Is this work due to the renovations or just repairs from the fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is this work due to the renovations or just repairs from the fire?
    Looks like full roof decking. Like renovation work that would be a complete roof strip off and new wood deck before shingles are installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Funny you mention that because I noticed the same thing and took a photo:

I still have hope that the old girl is going to make it.

The buyer paid a bunch of money for it so I'm sure something will happen here eventually.

The problem is with these long-abandoned buildings, it's usually just a matter of time before someone gets in, lights a fire to try and stay warm and the whole thing goes up in smoke. Just happened at an old Victorian home in the Strawberry Fields area; one of the few structures worth saving over there.

The fact that they're doing this work gives me more hope than I had.

Aaaaaaaand just like that, work has stalled again. All they have is the paper cover on the roof now over the decking. And the paper itself is not completely secured. With the rain we go last week and what we are going to get later this week, if they don't get it decked, I am worried about what kind of lasting affect this will have on the rest of the structure.

Thread Information