sq. feet= 9,378
    acerage= .4371

News & Information

Links

County Assessor Record
    Abandoned Oklahoma
    Gallery

2. Default Re: Walcourt Help

www.abandonedok.com did a great photo essay and history on it. That property is a heartbreaker.

3. Default Re: Walcourt Help

The county has it assessed at only $104,000 and owned by the Williams Living Trust. The contact details are at the county site.

Default Re: Walcourt Help

I used to drive by that building a lot. I always loved it and thought it was a shame no one ever did anything with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    I used to drive by that building a lot. I always loved it and thought it was a shame no one ever did anything with it.
    Great property and a real bummer that the owners have no interest in ever selling it. I'd love to see an ordinance or something in place for historic properties that wouldn't allow people to hold on to inherited properties until they become public nuisances. If the house isn't fixed up and sold or inhabited within 5 years they should be forced to sell.

I'm sure the state of that place violates all types of ordinances, or at least should.

The city should levy fines (and place liens if necessary) which would force the owners to repair or sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I'm sure the state of that place violates all types of ordinances, or at least should.

The city should levy fines (and place liens if necessary) which would force the owners to repair or sell.
    Totally agree. The other problem is that most people who have inherited properties and held them for a long time terribly overestimate the value of their property.

In most cities, code enforcement only happens when it is reported by citizens.

For properties like this, we should organize a group to take photos and file official complaints.

I know Metro did something similar for Brown's Bakery and that ultimately seemed to spur them to make some much needed repairs.

Default Re: The Walcourt

Preservation OK has this building in its list of endangered properties this year.
    http://www.preservationok.org/Walcourt_Building.html

10. Default Re: Walcourt, The

So much potential! Love that building.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Default Re: Walcourt, The

Apparently this building has been owned by the same family for 34 years, the entire duration that it has been vacant. The city needs to condemn this property and take it from this family, possibly eminent domain it and turn it over to the Alliance for restoration-only RFPs, or something like that.

It's insane to think that the owners just "need help to see it put back in use" as PO phrases it on their endangered places listing. This building will continue to rot beyond the point of saving as long as the current owners are in the picture.

Went by the other day and took a few photos of one of the neatest abandoned buildings in OKC. I wonder how much it would take to pry it our of the owner's hands?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0128.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	2644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	2645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	2646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	2647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0132.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	2648

Wow! The Walcourt is an architectural gem that needs to be saved!

Default Re: Walcourt

Chunks of the roof are starting to come off of this. Perhaps due to some high winds during the storms last night? Very sad.

Prime candidate for the abandoned property ordinance, if it could get passed.

Fines would probably motivate the owner to sell and put this place into the hands of any number of people who would like to rehab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Prime candidate for the abandoned property ordinance, if it could get passed.

Fines would probably motivate the owner to sell and put this place into the hands of any number of people who would like to rehab it.
    The bungalow immediately west of the Walcourt building is being demo-ed right now. I'm not sure what that means for the Walcourt.

It is for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    It is for sale.
    It is? Know any of the contact info? Sales price?

It would be tragic to let this gem be torn down. Sometimes I feel so powerless. I hope someone or several someones with the ability to get things done will step in before we lose yet another awesome piece of history!

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    It is? Know any of the contact info? Sales price?
    I called the owners and left a message. So cafe are you in the rehab business?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    There was a cardboard sign on the front along NE 13th St. that read "sale" and gave a number. I have not heard back from the number.

With the realignment of the I-235 exit to shoot traffic right up Walnut, this would be a fantastic place for a large On Cue-type gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    I called the owners and left a message. So cafe are you in the rehab business?
    I'm done with my most recent rehab, and I know many that have wanted to purchase this place...

I would love to get inside and see how much damage the leaking roof has done to the structure.

Thread Information