Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Official! Anthropologie coming to Triangle at Classen Curve

Default It's Official! Anthropologie coming to Triangle at Classen Curve

ANTHROPOLOGIE TO OPEN STORE ON THE TRIANGLE AT CLASSEN CURVE IN OKLAHOMA CITY

Anthropologie Joins Whole Foods Market to Anchor New Development

OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA, MAY 20, 2011 – Anthropologie, a national women’s retailer known for sophistication and style, will open its first store in Oklahoma City at the Triangle at Classen Curve. The Triangle at Classen Curve is part of the growing Western, Grand and Classen Avenue area in north central Oklahoma City across from Chesapeake Energy’s campus and north of Classen Curve, a combination retail and entertainment development.

Founded in 1992 and owned by Philadelphia-based Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie is known for its innovative store design and eclectic assortment of women’s lifestyle merchandise, accessories, gifts and home decor. Anthropologie operates 153 stores worldwide including a store in Utica Square in Tulsa, Okla. The stores appeal to urbane women 28 to 45 years old.

“Anthropologie is delighted to enter the Oklahoma City market with our first store at the Triangle at Classen Curve. We are extraordinarily careful on where we locate our stores. When we toured Classen Curve and the Triangle at Classen Curve, we knew this was a special opportunity for Anthropologie to be part of a very unique and exciting retail development with tremendous architectural style and character,” said Lorraine Adney, Director of Midwestern Region for The McDevitt Company, international real estate consultants for the Urban Outfitters brands. “Our research confirmed that a vibrant and savvy local retail scene is expanding in Oklahoma City, propelled by a stable economy driven by the consistent creation of well-paying jobs the past three years. We love the presence of strong independent apparel merchants in Classen Curve and Nichols Hills and the easy accessibility of the Triangle at Classen Curve from the entire metro.”

The new 10,000 square footage Anthropologie store joins Whole Foods Market as the initial tenants in the Triangle at Classen Curve, developed by Chesapeake Energy. The 35,000 square foot Whole Foods Market opens later this year. Anthropologie plans to open in February 2012. Elliott + Associates Architects of Oklahoma City is designing the architectural shell to receive Anthropologie’s store design.

“We continue to be encouraged by the positive reaction of retailers to both Classen Curve and the Triangle at Classen Curve retail developments,” commented Tom Blanton, president of Blanton Property Company, the company handling the leasing activity. “Anthropologie is a powerful brand on the national retail scene. As a result, the signing of Anthropologie sends a strong message to the national retail industry about the attractiveness of Oklahoma City’s market for upscale and stylish retail. The two national retailers signed for the Triangle at Classen Curve are ideal complements to local retailers signed for Classen Curve, further solidifying this area as one of the most desirable destinations for retail in Oklahoma.”

“The Anthropologie brand encompasses inspirational and imaginative concepts such as innovation, optimism, beauty, style and discovery,” said Rand Elliott, president of Elliott + Associates Architects. “Their global influences, creative store designs and artful products perfectly complement our desire to create an authentic experience at both Classen Curve and the Triangle at Classen Curve. By bringing such an established coveted retailer to our city – with stores on 5th Avenue in New York City, in Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. – we are one step closer to developing Oklahoma City into the leading destination for chic retail.”

Default Re: It's Official! Anthropologie coming to Triangle at Classen Curve

Anthropologie plans to open in February 2012
    Wow, that's still 9 months away!

You'd think they'd really want to be open before the holidays, especially since the shell is already well along.

I don't get Chesapeake or Gooden PR in their tactics.

I don't know why it was pushed back since they were originally hoping to open in October. When I talked to my daughter last week she said January, but didn't know why the opening has been delayed. Regardless, I don't understand why they took so long to announce it.

They don't say destination for whom. I suspect they're hoping to make it a leading destination for people from Norman, Chickasha, Shawnee, etc. No one is coming from Dallas to shop here. Probably not even Ardmore. It probably will be a leading destination for people from smaller towns in the area. Five years ago it would have been a plum ot get an Anthropologie, but at this point in time it was more an embarrassment that we didn't, considering what cities did have one.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    They don't say destination for whom. I suspect they're hoping to make it a leading destination for people from Norman, Chickasha, Shawnee, etc. No one is coming from Dallas to shop here. Probably not even Ardmore. It probably will be a leading destination for people from smaller towns in the area. Five years ago it would have been a plum ot get an Anthropologie, but at this point in time it was more an embarrassment that we didn't, considering what cities did have one.
    Betts, of course this store isn't going to be a draw for customer from out of state. But it will be a counterpoint to those who keep posting here about how OKC doesn't have stores that will keep our shoppers in town.

I deleted about 10 posts for obvious reasons. Please stay on topic.

8. Default Re: It's Official! Anthropologie coming to Triangle at Classen Curve

I thought discussing a direct quote from the official press release was about as on-topic as one could get. But, we go on.

Yes, it's just great to have this store coming.

Not much else to say here. We've pretty much talked this topic to death, in about 3-4 different threads on the topic (Chesapeake empire marches on, Classen Curve, Whole Foods official, Anthro official).

In order to make Triangle at Classen Curve the leading destination for chic retail, we will need another Wal-mart. I want to see Rand design it, partly to see what the press release says about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Betts, of course this store isn't going to be a draw for customer from out of state. But it will be a counterpoint to those who keep posting here about how OKC doesn't have stores that will keep our shoppers in town.
    Disagree, we will get people from Amarillo and Texas panhandle area, as well as visitors in town from out state.

11. Default Re: It's Official! Anthropologie coming to Triangle at Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Disagree, we will get people from Amarillo and Texas panhandle area, as well as visitors in town from out state.
    Amarillo is actually about 20-30 minutes closer to the already open Q Street store in Albuquerque than the OKC store at CC.

Mike, that may be true, but I run into people all the time here from Amarillo, ask some of our fellow retail owners on the board, such as Urbanized. Most Amarillans I know prefer OKC and many have family here.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Mike, that may be true, but I run into people all the time here from Amarillo, ask some of our fellow retail owners on the board, such as Urbanized. Most Amarillans I know prefer OKC and many have family here.
    Wait. So we're supposed to ask the Bricktown merchants if Amarillo customers are significant to OKC retail?

I live in Amarillo and would rather go to Oklahoma City. Albuquerque is ok; just not my choice for a weekend destination.

I just got an invitation to the Anthropologie private opening the evening of January 26th. I assume they'll be open for business the next day. They're also taking down the half wall that has been up, but the metal ribs of the wall are still standing. I continue to be confused about what the intention of that wall was. If it was supposed to be temporary, why not build it out of 2x4s? It looks like they're starting to work on interior of the building adjacent as well. The outdoor covered area has me a bit confused as well, unless there will be a restaurant on the SE end of the second building.

Thanks for the update, betts.

There should be a building permit issued for the other building once it's turned over for tenant finish out and I guess then we'll finally know who it is.

do we know what is going to be at the 3rd building

I've heard there will be multiple stores in that building, and I've also heard there will be a liquor store. As I said, the one thing that confuses me is the outdoor covered area between the third building and Anthropologie, because it looks like a covered patio for a restaurant.

McClendon has said there will be a prominent national retailer in that 3rd building but I have no idea who it might be.

Here is a pic from the far NW corner of the building last night. The inside of Anthro looks very weird, they have an old brick planter good sized in there that looks like the inside of an outdated mall. I will have to get pics soon.

Anthropologie usually has very interesting windows - they have a visual manager who is given a theme and some freedom of choice as to design. Inside, the store usually has some found antiques. One of the owners shops in Europe and buys antiques which are distributed throughout their stores and which are for sale. They'll have furniture scattered throughout the store and most of the interiors are quite eclectic. Usually one side of the store is clothing and the other side housewares, with bedding towards the back. We'll see how this one is arranged. But it won't look like any other store in Oklahoma City, I can guarantee.

22. Default Re: It's Official! Anthropologie coming to Triangle at Classen Curve

So did anyone make it by today? My wife was itching to go, but our wee little baby girl has the sniffles.

I went to the party the night before the opening today. It's a fairly small Anthro, and relatively contemporary in design. They don't have shoes, which I hope is temporary. The line to check out was an hour long, so I suspect they were happy with the sales total. I went by today and saw a lot of cars, but I spent enough last night that I think I'll stay awY for awhile.

24. Default Re: It's Official! Anthropologie coming to Triangle at Classen Curve

Thanks Betts! My wife will pick up where you left off... and... hopefully have the same sense of "completion" when she's done. Peace.

I dropped in to see the new store and to see what the hubbub was all about. Definitely a store for the ladies. No real merchandise for the guys. I was in and out in about two minutes.

Thread Information