Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Del City bond issue

Default Del City bond issue

So I saw on the news that Del City has called a 3 mill bond issue to purchase new fire trucks and to replace all their storm sirens.

An old bond is ritiring so they are going for a new one

The report said they have only 3 trucks and the newest is a 1999 and they will increas the size of their fire fleet from 3 to 5 and two new brush rigs, in addition the storm sirens are from the 50's and 60's

2. Default Re: Del City bond issue

I approve the purchases.

Also, does anyone know if they will build a new fountain at the fire department / community center? They destroyed the old one without remodeling it.

Default Re: Del City bond issue

what.........114 views and no political pundits wit.................Im shocked I say shocked

4. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Yeah, people on here need to start discussing this.

http://www.koco.com/news/28230153/detail.html

Don't forget to vote YES on July 12th!

5. Default Re: Del City bond issue

I don't think anyone would argue against letting a new bond purchase these things...they are in the best interests of everyone in DC.

A fountain though....uh who cares? It was just as ugly as the buildings behind it.

there will be no new fountain at the Community center..that puppy is gone and never to return.
    Oh and I have now read the bond proposal..........they cant use the money for ANYTHING other than what is being voted on. Talk about accountability

I like the new storm sirens also...................they said some of them still have civil defense markings on them......now that is old

7. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Well, that is just pathetic for not adding a new fountain.

8. Default Re: Del City bond issue

So you'd rather have a fountain than something that saves your life? Um, ok.

I've always wondered why Del City didn't hop on the federal wagon after May 3rd like MWC and OKC did and get the whole thing paid for.

9. Default Re: Del City bond issue

bombermwc, please do not twist it. They can (and should have) add a fountain (replace some location) or somewhere there. Lets see what we have here... They are adding sidewalks. Landscaping. There is a memorial. It is obvious that a fountain be quite fitting and relaxing. Plus its great, because the fire department is there and the fountain can be like a water symbol or something.

10. Default Re: Del City bond issue

It's a water fountain. Whoopie. It doesn't really mean anything, and it's from the 50's...and was crappy to begin with.

11. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It's a water fountain. Whoopie. It doesn't really mean anything, and it's from the 50's...and was crappy to begin with.
    I'm not talking about the old fountain. I'm talking about a new fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    . . . I like the new storm sirens also...................they said some of them still have civil defense markings on them......now that is old
    The oldest sirens in Del City's system are two Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T sirens located at I-40 and Sunnylane and at about SE 31st and Sunnylane. Del City's Thunderbolts were installed in 1974. The newest siren is a Federal Signal Eclipse 8 which is located at SE 20th and Pybas Ln. The Eclipse was installed in 2005.

This is an example of a Thunderbolt. This siren was part of Norman, OK's outdoor warning system. This siren was installed in 1973.

My Federal Signal Thunderbolt Siren Before Removal by woodyrr, on Flickr

The last test of the siren shown above before it was taken out of service. [turn down your speakers!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaiV-x7i1Q

There is some discussion among outdoor warning siren enthusiasts about Del City's system here:

http://airraidsirens.com/forums/view...?p=92686#92686

I am neutral on the issue. The newer electronic outdoor warning sirens can be louder in decibel ratings than mechanical sirens, however, they are limited in lower frequency reproduction due to concerns about blowing the speaker drivers. Consequently, electronic sirens do not produce the penetrating, attention getting signal of a mechanical siren. On the other hand, some parts for the older sirens are difficult to find making maintenance a challenge.

13. Default Re: Del City bond issue

I love that siren. There is another one at the cemetery.

14. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Well it was a lot more difficult to get an omnidirectional siren out of the old ones, but yeah they sure got your attention ( i think better than the new ones ). But the new ones are supposed to be more easily controlled on an individual basis. The theory there is that you don't have to have the whole city go off at once....even though OKC has yet to turn that feature on and DC is too small to even need it). Not to mention they can give verbal alerts as well....not that anyone uses that feature.

I met my friend Dillon at the Thunderbolt siren at I-40 and Sunnylane today for the weekly test. Dillon shot the video below.

I can see, or rather hear, why Del City is wanting to replace this siren at least. The unsteady pitch is due probably to tarnished collector rings or collector ring brushes and / or worn chopper motor brushes. When originally installed in 1974, this siren was a dual tone unit. The chopper and chopper cap have been recently replaced as is evidenced by the lighter shade of yellow on the chopper cap. The chopper was also replaced by a single tone chopper. Since the erratic pitch issue was not able to be successfully addressed when the chopper was replaced, it is evident that this siren is ready for retirement for sure.

Del City Thunderbolt with retrofitted single tone chopper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8YoC4rHDwM

My Thunderbolt with dual tone chopper before it was taken out of service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaiV-x7i1Q

17. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Weekly? When did they stop the daily noon?

To the best of my knowledge, and I've been around since the first sirens were installed, Del City has never tested daily at noon.

They used to test on Wednesdays at noon until the central Oklahoma emergency managers got together and hashed out a more or less uniform testing policy that set the test day as Saturday at noon at least once per month.

19. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Quote Originally Posted by woodyrr View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, and I've been around since the first sirens were installed, Del City has never tested daily at noon.

They used to test on Wednesdays at noon until the central Oklahoma emergency managers got together and hashed out a more or less uniform testing policy that set the test day as Saturday at noon at least once per month.
    Interesting. I've grown up in Del City practically almost my entire life. I am 100% confident it was every day at noon unless cloudy. Even most recently, about two or three years ago, the doggy would always howl every day at noon...exactly same time as the test...every day. :-)

I've been here for 9 years and it always was Wednesday and Saturday at noon, but recently they have stopped on Wednesday. OKC or Tinker or someone still tests on Wednesdays though.

21. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Thunder, Tinker used to do it every day at noon. But, um, aren't you deaf? Not meant to be rude, just clarifying.

22. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Thunder, Tinker used to do it every day at noon. But, um, aren't you deaf? Not meant to be rude, just clarifying.
    I wasn't always deaf? Why does being deaf now means I was deaf all my life? :-/

It was so loud every day at noon, because it was coming from the awesome cemetery siren.

23. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Well some people are born that way...didn't know if you had something happen. Not prodding, just curious.

Well, reading the paper today I see it passed over whelmingly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like 80% for each prop.

Good job Del CIty.........still moving forward from the era of political disfuncton................

25. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    Well, reading the paper today I see it passed over whelmingly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like 80% for each prop.

Good job Del CIty.........still moving forward from the era of political disfuncton................
    Yesterday was a very bad day, so I forgot all about voting.

Can someone take pix of the cemetery siren ASAP (immediately) before a piece of history is destroyed? I think it should be added to the May 3rd memorial/museum, cuz it worked nonstop on that day saving many lives.

Thread Information