Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Del City bond issue

Default Re: Del City bond issue

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Yesterday was a very bad day, so I forgot all about voting.

Can someone take pix of the cemetery siren ASAP (immediately) before a piece of history is destroyed? I think it should be added to the May 3rd memorial/museum, cuz it worked nonstop on that day saving many lives.
    now THAT is an excellent idea..................placed on a pole at the Tornado memorial on sooner........non functioning but with a plaquecommemoraterate that siren and that event....linkage...............I likeAnybody knowdyknow anybody they could contact with that Idea??????????????

2. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    now THAT is an excellent idea..................placed on a pole at the Tornado memorial on sooner........non functioning but with a plaquecommemoraterate that siren and that event....linkage...............I likeAnybody knowdyknow anybody they could contact with that Idea??????????????
    I'm sure someone with contacts with the city can try to get this done. This is a piece of history and should never be thrown away.

3. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Just give the city manager a call. He'll have to be involved in doing the work anyway....or call the mayor. The mayor would have to ask the manager anyway though since the manager is the one that does the actual work...lol.

That is a good idea though. These suckers might be old, but they worked their littke WWII tails off on May 3rd and many times since then to help keep us safe.

4. Default Re: Del City bond issue

AGREED!

----edit----

Just emailed the City of Del City. Lets see what happens.

5. Default Re: Del City bond issue

http://www.cityofdelcity.com/

http://www.cityofdelcity.com/contact.htm
    The form there to send an email.

City of Del City
    3701 SE 15th Street
    Del City, Ok. 73115

Phone: 405-677-5741
    Fax: 405-671-2807

Main Email:
    iinfo@cityofdelcity.com

Economic Development:
    econ@cityofdelcity.com

I don't know what mmonroe used.

6. Default Re: Del City bond issue

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    <iinfo@cityofdelcity.com>
    (reason: 550 5.1.1 <iinfo@cityofdelcity.com> recipient rejected)
    Looks like Del City using a fake email address. :-(

7. Post Re: Del City bond issue

Actually, I used the the contact form on their contact us page, which had an error, but I used the email address that is info@cityofdelcity.com that's info, with 1 "i".

Man, you guys all over this.................let me know if you get a reply back

9. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    Actually, I used the the contact form on their contact us page, which had an error, but I used the email address that is info@cityofdelcity.com that's info, with 1 "i".
    I didn't realize that! :-O

10. Default Re: Del City bond issue

I started this. :-D

Here is a response.

Thank you for the comments.

I think this a superb idea to further commemorate and honor those who lost their lives and those of us who survived that day.

We will work to make this happen

Mark A Edwards
    City Manager,
    3701 SE 15th
    Del City Oklahoma
    405--670-7301
    His email is medwards@cityofdelcity.com so get to emailing him your vote, but I think he will be doing this anyway. Yay!!!

11. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Mr. Monroe,

That is one of our oldest sirens dating to the cold war era. Certainly it has a long list of memories associated with it.

At first thought I consider your suggestion to have great merit, not only to preserve an antiquated piece of another era, but also to commemorate an event that is stuck in all our memories

I would be more than glad to proceed with this suggestion. This suggestion has great significant merit that I think our council will appreciate the symbolism of.

Mark A Edwards
    City Manager,
    3701 SE 15th
    Del City Oklahoma
    405-670-7301

12. Default Re: Del City bond issue

You got a longer response than I did, but together, we saved a piece of history. Now that is something to celebrate tonight.

Congratulations folks!

As an air raid siren enthusiast, I am very happy to hear the positive response that you received from the City Manager relative to preserving the Federal Signal Thunderbolt located at the Cemetery.

If posters on the Mid-Del forum haven't guessed by now, I purchased the former Norman Thunderbolt shown above from the installation vendor and am preserving it as a static display for myself.

If the City of Del City would like to use the artwork that I created replicating the original decals in their restoration efforts, they are welcome to it.

Blinding Yellow Thunderbolt Siren by woodyrr, on Flickr

Early 1970s Thunderbolt Siren Decal Artwork by woodyrr, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3921318...7625311045099/

14. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Awesome! Its sure is a beauty! I wish these are still in production, at least the appearance, with advanced parts. The sirens made now are not even close to being iconic. I encourage others to keep watch for the iconic sirens in other cities in hope of an opportunity to preserve history.

Can someone take pix of the cemetery siren ASAP (immediately) before a piece of history is destroyed? I think it should be added to the May 3rd memorial/museum, cuz it worked nonstop on that day saving many lives.
    Here is a photo taken today of the Thunderbolt siren at Sunnylane Cemetery.

Del City, OK Federal Signal Thunderbolt Siren by woodyrr, on Flickr

16. Default Re: Del City bond issue

Its so beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by woodyrr View Post
    Congratulations folks!

As an air raid siren enthusiast, I am very happy to hear the positive response that you received from the City Manager relative to preserving the Federal Signal Thunderbolt located at the Cemetery.

If posters on the Mid-Del forum haven't guessed by now, I purchased the former Norman Thunderbolt shown above from the installation vendor and am preserving it as a static display for myself.

If the City of Del City would like to use the artwork that I created replicating the original decals in their restoration efforts, they are welcome to it.

Blinding Yellow Thunderbolt Siren by woodyrr, on Flickr

Early 1970s Thunderbolt Siren Decal Artwork by woodyrr, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3921318...7625311045099/
    where would those decals go?
    I went to look at the siren yesterday and it is really faded.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    where would those decals go?
    I went to look at the siren yesterday and it is really faded.....................
    Here is a picture of a former Detroit, MI Thunderbolt that was restored by an enthusiast showing the decal placement.

This siren has the newer F-S decals applied to Thunderbolts manufactured during the very late 1970s until about 1990-1991 when the Thunderbolt was discontinued. It appears to me that the Del City Thunderbolts have the "intertwined" 1970s decal pictured above. Additionally, The Detroit siren has a large circular decal on the end of the blower box cover under the vent that I don't recognize and this decal is not part of a factory Thunderbolt decal package.

My thunderbolt 1000T by EL1998P71, on Flickr

Awesome! Its sure is a beauty! I wish these are still in production, at least the appearance, with advanced parts. The sirens made now are not even close to being iconic.
    One of the greatest strengths of the Thunderbolt over other sirens of its time is that it has a blower to supply a constant supply of low pressure air to the chopper. Other sirens have an impeller integral to the chopper which draws air into the chopper as it spins. On the wind down, the air flow would decrease resulting in a decrease in sound volume. The Thunderbolt was first and foremost an "air raid" siren designed to warn of an enemy attack. The standard signal for an attack is a three minute rising and falling sound. This is accomplished by the timer in the siren turning the chopper on for eight seconds and then off for four seconds. The constant supply of air from the blower ensured that the siren maintained full volume throughout the attack warning signal cycle. Since the signal used for natural disasters is the "alert" signal which is a three minute steady blast, full volume on the wind down is not as essential, so mechanical sirens produced today have reverted to the chopper with integrated impeller.

The huge drawback to the Thunderbolts, is that while made from the highest quality components, they are very complicated. Although extremely reliable during their service lives, as the Thunderbolts age, they have become subject to frequent failures and replacement parts are very difficult to find.

19. Default Re: Del City bond issue

We have positive feedback.

Just a quick update.
    I had an opportunity last evening to present this idea to the entire council for consideration during City Manger updates
    Although it was not an official agenda item for approval it certainly was treated positively by the council.
    Thank you again for submitting such a good idea to preserve our history.

20. Default Re: Del City bond issue

We have positive feedback.
    got the same email as well.

21. Default Re: Del City bond issue

I'm glad they are receiving it so well!

I wanted to follow up on the siren part off this thread with a photo of the head of my restored Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T air raid siren.

I hope Del City is still interested in displaying one of theirs

The Head of my Restored Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T Air Raid Siren by woodyrr, on Flickr

It looks like the new sirens have been ordered and installation scheduled.

http://npaper-wehaa.com/eastword/201...rticle=1563607

I couldn't find out what if any outdoor warning siren manufacturer Total Radio represents.

If I had to guess, the new sirens will be Whelen WPS series:

http://outdoor.whelen.com/2900.htm

They could be Federal Signal Modulators, however.

http://www.federalsignal-indust.com/...=4&lookup=2392

Of the two, I much prefer Whelen. the Modulators are much too high pitched.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyrr View Post
    It looks like the new sirens have been ordered and installation scheduled.

http://npaper-wehaa.com/eastword/201...rticle=1563607

Link wont work tried it multiple times still didn't work.

Try a google search for eastword del city sirens. It should be the first link returned.

Thread Information