Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Union Station

Default Re: Union Station

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Seriously, I wonder if as long as some kind of transportation related agency has an office there its technically meeting that requirement.
    Yes, that is why COTPA is/was located there.

Not sure they still have people there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Currently, there is storage space behind those tunnel doors. I may have photos somewhere.

But of course, the tunnel once ran under the tracks and to the far south side platform. That was all removed when they built I-40 where multiple train tracks had been located.

Found this old image from 2008 that shows the tracks; the tunnel would have run all the way to the far south side. You can see the path by the 3 large skylights at the station.
    Yeah, I was aware that they removed most of the underground tunnel to the platforms when the platforms were ripped out for the I-40 realignment, but I just didn't know exactly how much of it was gone. Glad to hear at least some of it remains. I wonder if it still extends out under the last remaining track. Depending on just how much space is left down there, that could work really well as a storm shelter area too.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Well, it ceased having any true transportation function when the federally paid for interstate which had to meet federal transportation standards was approved and built. So take that Feds! You helped break your own laws!

Seriously, I wonder if as long as some kind of transportation related agency has an office there its technically meeting that requirement.
    This is true. They did leave juuuuust enough room that a second track and a platform could conceivably be installed along the Union Pacific rails that remain today - so a transit use is still possible (albeit unlikely) if the need and political will were there - but yeah, the majority of the infrastructure that would allow the station to serve a modern transit use is gone due to the I-40 realignment.

Man, makes me kinda sad thinking about what we could have had if the stars had aligned. Union Station would have made a fantastic intermodal transportation hub, and helped pull downtown further south, if the City could have gotten the transit ball rolling back in the '80's and '90's.

Oh well. Still quite glad though that Union Station will see some love and be reopened to the public. It's an *amazing* building.

And again from March 2008, I took this along Harvey just north of Union Station; the old post office was to the left. This spot is now in the middle of the Scissortail lake.

Off topic, but it's amazing how much different downtown looked back then!

From what I recall, we were able to obtain a release from the Federal Transit Administration as they adopted Santa Fe Station as the preferred site for the Regional Transit Hub. And by contributing $14 million to that project, those glaring conflicts provided an easy case to make. I am not sure that if within the $19 million there were funds incorporated to pay them back if it was deemed necessary to do so. The price tag doesn't surprise me.

Yes, that is why COTPA is/was located there.

Not sure they still have people there or not.

My wife and I went down there the other day. COPTA has moved, bit we found an open door and poked around. Few businesses are there temporarily. It I a pretty cool place. Found an old sauna that firefighters put in when they used the building as a station, and this old time clock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190507_130910.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	7.65 MB 
ID:	15309

Name:	20190507_130724.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	7.23 MB 
ID:	15310

Name:	20190507_130500.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	8.03 MB 
ID:	15311
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190507_130920.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	6.61 MB 
ID:	15308  

Such a cool structure...so much potential!

Every night starting at 6PM, there is a coordinated Christmas carol and light show on the front of Union Station.

It's very cool and worth a visit where you can see lots of other holiday decorations in Scissortail Park.

10. Default Re: Union Station

Is it a constantly repeating "show" or is it at the bottom and top of the hour, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Is it a constantly repeating "show" or is it at the bottom and top of the hour, or what?
    It's continuous and features a bunch of different songs and coordinated light displays.

It was freezing cold last night so I only was out there for 4 or so but I know there are a bunch.

It's very cool and worthwhile, especially if you want to stroll through the park and see all the decorations.

12. Default Re: Union Station

Very cool, will have to check it out! Thanks for the info!

Your pictures are stunning, Pete.

I have to confess I saw photos from another source that weren't as good, making Union Station look like a tacky new location for Medieval Times.

I went last night just to get out of the house despite the cold. It was surprisingly captivating and impressive. That, along with the rest of the park lights and convention center lights, make for a pretty cool scene worth seeing.

^

And the sound system setup is pretty darn good.

I went last night also. I only made it through 2 songs because it was too cold for me. The building truly is stunning. I cannot believe I had know idea Union Station even existed until about 15 years ago. I am so glad that it has become a prominent landmark in our community.

Went today spent over an hour in the park walking around and taking it all in. As a citizen I am proud of this park.

From tonight:

Took my son to go see the lights at the park last Friday night around 7:00. It was pretty impressive! The Union Station has a neat dancing Santa Claus in the top left window. When certain songs come on, the lights around Santa are lit up and you can watch him dance to the music. For my 3-year-old son this was incredibly exciting. We stayed for 4 or 5 songs, just to see Santa a few times. Cool little easter egg for those with small kids.

Unfortunately, the Christmas tree in the great lawn was not lit up. Still, a neat little adventure for the little guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Went today spent over an hour in the park walking around and taking it all in. As a citizen I am proud of this park.
    Agreed. Much like the Myriad Gardens, once the trees mature, this will be an amazing space. Just give it a few years.

No audio, but you can see santa in this little video:

City set to acquire, renovate historic Union Station

A major hurdle has been cleared toward the goal of renovating Union Station at the south end of Scissortail Park.

The Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority (COTPA) owns the station after using federal grant funds for the purchase. In order to transfer the title to the city, COTPA requested and recently received authorization from the Federal Transit Administration.

The purchase and renovation will be financed with excess MAPS 3 funds; the budget is $17.2 million.

MAPS Program Director David Todd told OKCTalk that the city hopes to complete the purchase by the end of the month.

A 2020 presentation by GSB, an architectural firm based in Oklahoma City, showed the former railroad station converted into an event space and to include a cafe, gift shop and history center among other proposed uses.

However, the total cost was estimated at $29 million, and thus Todd said the city will make soon decide on how best to maximize the current budget so the structure can be reopened to the public. A phased approach will be used for any remaining work with funding yet to be identified.

Union Station opened in 1930 and was once a bustling passenger railway station but has been virtually unused for decades, apart from serving as offices for COTPA. As part of the deal with the city, COTPA will remain as a tenant for the next six months.

Under the GSB plan, the former main passenger waiting room and its soaring, coffered ceilings would be converted into a multipurpose room and used for a variety of events. Most of the original structure and design elements are still intact, including beautiful terrazzo floors throughout much of the space.

The rear dock area was once used for mail delivery and is envisioned as another multipurpose hall.

The station is a prominent feature in Scissortail Park and the plan is to use extensive landscaping to create outdoor spaces and blend with the surrounding park.

The lower section of Scissortail Park is well under construction and will link downtown to the Oklahoma River once complete late this summer.

Looks like a cool project, but there doesn't appear to be enough parking. Roughly 50 spots? That would only be enough for a small event when you include parking for the service staff.

Blog Entries

There's a thousand spot parking garage two blocks away. It would be ridiculous to try to add parking here for this. No one should reasonably expect to park front door en masse at an urban park.

There is also a big surface lot just south of the convention center, which is very close by.

Thread Information