Widgets Magazine

Thread: Were more sports than baseball played or attempted in All Sports Stadium?

Default Were more sports than baseball played or attempted in All Sports Stadium?

Yes, I know why it's named as such. But I'm curious if in fact there's some needless dispute to be had in response to those amateur wits who noted the irony of the ballpark's name?

2. Default Re: Were more sports than baseball played or attempted in All Sports Stadium?

I could be wrong. According to my wife it's common. But I grew up in the area and all I ever remember was baseball and a very rare concert, usually following a baseball game.

Default Re: Were more sports than baseball played or attempted in All Sports Stadium?

I think the Oklahoma City All-Sports Association had something to do with the stadium and that is where the name came from. Not sure if that is true but that is what I was told a long time ago.

Default Re: Were more sports than baseball played or attempted in All Sports Stadium?

There was a concert there during the Fair one year, I think it was 1974 or so, Santana and Golden Earring if my fading, hazy memory is correct.

Concerts were not unusual there. I attended several. But I think the point of the thread is about other sports and the name. The name, of course, had nothing to do with other sports being played there.

Yeah. While the other stuff is indeed interesting, the purpose of this thread is to see if, perhaps, a football game was played there because Taft was booked for a track meet (making this up), roller derby in the 70s, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    Yeah. While the other stuff is indeed interesting, the purpose of this thread is to see if, perhaps, a football game was played there because Taft was booked for a track meet (making this up), roller derby in the 70s, etc.
    I don't think it was ever used for football but may have occasionally been used for something like motocross or monster trucks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I think the Oklahoma City All-Sports Association had something to do with the stadium and that is where the name came from. Not sure if that is true but that is what I was told a long time ago.
    Correct, the stadium was named for the All-Sports Association. The stadium name was somewhat misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    Correct, the stadium was named for the All-Sports Association. The stadium name was somewhat misleading.
    Yeah, I know. I stated that, if not explicitly.

Nonetheless, I guess my answer is nigh. The idea of other sports being played there in light of such a slight misnomer seemed amusing.

I don't think anything other than baseball games have ever been played there. Back in '94 during the initial MAPS vote it was often refered to as One-Sports Stadium.

Thread Information