Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10th & Hudson

Default Re: 10th & Hudson - Valir

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i hope there plans for this site die and don't come back ... mixed use apts would be much much better for this block
    No doubt. Would be a much better use of this lot than medical offices

This was originally reported on 4/13/11:

The Oklahoma City Medical Business District announced Tuesday it has selected Valir Health LLC as the developer of the former Red Cross site at NW 10 and Hudson Avenue in Midtown.

Read more: Valir Health will develop Midtown site in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com

To date, absolutely nothing has happened and the district needs to reevaluate it's selection.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    No doubt. Would be a much better use of this lot than medical offices
    Ditto. I never agreed with the selection. Didn't understand what the City (contracted to help plan for the District) saw in Valir.

HangryHippo Guest

Which corner of 10th and Hudson are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Ditto. I never agreed with the selection. Didn't understand what the City (contracted to help plan for the District) saw in Valir.
    I think they were trying to stick to the 10th Street Medical Business District masterplan since it was the "Medical Business District, Inc." whose bad idea this was. Not trying to attack the city, but the whole MDB, Inc. thing just didn't seem like that great of an idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong cafeboeuf

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think they were trying to stick to the 10th Street Medical Business District masterplan since it was the "Medical Business District, Inc." whose bad idea this was. Not trying to attack the city, but the whole MDB, Inc. thing just didn't seem like that great of an idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong cafeboeuf
    It was certainly a stretch when conceived.

I may be wrong, but I think the MDB discontinued its contract with the City for a planner, by the way.

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought its funding derived from the city as well as a quasi-public board? Similar to the BUDC? Or is it more like the Bricktown Association, totally private (in which case all of the news reporting got it totally wrong)?

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought its funding derived from the city as well as a quasi-public board? Similar to the BUDC? Or is it more like the Bricktown Association, totally private (in which case all of the news reporting got it totally wrong)?
    Well, my understanding was that it was private, maybe some grant funding along the way. I could have been wrong... it happens.

They had hired the City to have a planner assigned to them essentially full time. They cut that in the last budget cycle... not sure why.

Well, my understanding was that it was private, maybe some grant funding along the way. I could have been wrong... it happens.

They had hired the City to have a planner assigned to them essentially full time. They cut that in the last budget cycle... not sure why.
    i think the 10th st MBD now hired DOKC to run some of their stuff ..

I just can't comprehend how the MBD thing, whatever it is, can get the right people involved, a full-time planner, or DOKC, whatever ... and zero results 4-5 years later, at a time that development has exploded. They can't be very serious about redevelopment of this site, and I'm curious why?

I just can't comprehend how the MBD thing, whatever it is, can get the right people involved, a full-time planner, or DOKC, whatever ... and zero results 4-5 years later, at a time that development has exploded. They can't be very serious about redevelopment of this site, and I'm curious why?
    The full time planner was not a planner by education or trade... maybe had something to do with it. I think the MBD may also have too many disparate interests and involved parties - St. Anthony wants to do its thing, medical businesses want their thing, and the Midtown Redevelopment people have their own ideas.

I say give it to the Midtown group, require some medical-office space as part of the mixed use and then move on.

HangryHippo Guest

I say give it to the Midtown group, require some medical-office space as part of the mixed use and then move on.
    This.

I don't see where Valir has room for a large expansion on their existing site without building a parking garage.

The full time planner was not a planner by education or trade... maybe had something to do with it. I think the MBD may also have too many disparate interests and involved parties - St. Anthony wants to do its thing, medical businesses want their thing, and the Midtown Redevelopment people have their own ideas.

You mean Robbie Kienzle? (who NEVER returned my numerous phone calls and emails back when I wanted to blog about the site, leading me to believe it was in negotiations OR there wasn't really a plan.. but I've also heard she was quite competent, etc, not to rag on her or anything)

I absolutely agree that the Midtown group should be given the opportunity.

Well Valir's off - we're all shocked, for sure.

I'd be interested to compare the sell price that the MBD got for the site compared to the $700,000 MidtownR paid Valir for the site. Residential infill planned.

I'd be interested to compare the sell price that the MBD got for the site compared to the $700,000 MidtownR paid Valir for the site. Residential infill planned.

This is good news.

How did you learn this?

Source? If this is true (not doubting, just haven't heard anything about it) I can't wait to see what MidtownR does with the site, would this be their first new-construction project (as opposed to rehab projects)?

I never thought the Valir development was the best use for this location.

Lackmeyer's column for tomorrow...

As much as I'd love to say I had an inside source lol.

Spartan, since you didn't post the link to Steve's article, here it is.

Oklahoma City MidTown property sold; housing development possible | NewsOK.com

Default Re: Old Red Cross site on 10th - Midtown

The side note to Steve's article states that the Medical Business Cooridor District is now being administered by Downtown OKC Inc. I don't know the details of this site's history, but should it not have been made available with an RFP, or at least marketed to the public? Midtown R is doing some great things, but Mr. Howard is on the board of Downtown OKC Inc. Seems like there should be some more disclosure here.

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    The side note to Steve's article states that the Medical Business Cooridor District is now being administered by Downtown OKC Inc. I don't know the details of this site's history, but should it not have been made available with an RFP, or at least marketed to the public? Midtown R is doing some great things, but Mr. Howard is on the board of Downtown OKC Inc. Seems like there should be some more disclosure here.
    Well that's one reason I'm curious to match up the recent sale prices

$697k, same price it was sold to Valir in 2011

HangryHippo Guest

The article says that the Midtown Group now owns the entire block from Harvey to Hudson, 10th St. to Park Place. Is it really just the little strip of property that fronts 10th St. that they own, or is it the entire actual block? If it's just to Park Place, that doesn't seem like a whole lot of property.

Also in the side notes of Mr. Lackmeyer's column, there is mention of modifications to the 10th St. crossing of I-235. Does anyone know what they're considering modifying?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Also in the side notes of Mr. Lackmeyer's column, there is mention of modifications to the 10th St. crossing of I-235. Does anyone know what they're considering modifying?
    If I remember correctly, plans call for:
    -Southbound entrance from 10th to 235
    -Northbound exit from 235 to 10th

Currently you can only enter/exit 235 if your going-to/coming-from the North side of town.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post
    If I remember correctly, plans call for:
    -Southbound entrance from 10th to 235
    -Northbound exit from 235 to 10th

Currently you can only enter/exit 235 if your going-to/coming-from the North side of town.
    Ah yes, I completely forgot that they're adding the NB exit. I didn't know they're planning to add a SB entrance. That's going to be a lot of exits in a short stretch for 235.

Thread Information