Widgets Magazine

Thread: Please help find this meat item for me in okc

Default Please help find this meat item for me in okc

iM IN THE SEARCH FOR linguisa sausage.. i can not seem to find it anywhere in mooer, norman, okc area.. please help me, i love this sausage but for some reason the grocery stores doesnt carry it

Default Re: Please help find this meat item for me in okc

Never had it to my knowledge. Here's an online source or two if that helps.

https://www.amarals.com/

http://www.mcssl.com/store/1481408/c...tegory/5101399

have you tried el mariachi supermercado on sw 59th & walker? -M

no i have not tried that place yet, when i get free time, i will, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    iM IN THE SEARCH FOR linguisa sausage.. i can not seem to find it anywhere in mooer, norman, okc area.. please help me, i love this sausage but for some reason the grocery stores doesnt carry it
    Ben E Keith Foods, here in the city has ground Linguisa. We use it for our Scotch Egg at Republic Gastropub. It is soooo good!

Whre is ben e keiths? i have heard of it before, is it open to the public, for some reason i thought it wasa distributor to restaurants

Yeah, several of the Spanish markets have it. And yes Ben E. keiths is a distributor.

Whre is ben e keiths? i have heard of it before, is it open to the public, for some reason i thought it wasa distributor to restaurants
    Anyone can call Ben E Keith Foods and pick product up at thier will-call area. Tell them exactly what you want...pretty simple.

If you don't find it locally, it is also spelled linguica and it is a Portuguese sausage. It is pronounced the same, the "c" has an "s" sound. I first ate it when there were still Shakey's pizza parlors and it was called Portuguese linguica. I have purchased it online but not recently.
    C. T.

I use to buy it all the time in california one of them the famous Santos Linguica ( which closed due to the owner going crazy and kiling health inspectors) ... I use to buy it all the time for family gatherings.. but i have never been able to buy it in oklahoma unless i had it shipped to me, which is really expensive. but i will try the local mexican markets aroudn okc..

I use to buy it all the time in california one of them the famous Santos Linguica ( which closed due to the owner going crazy and kiling health inspectors)
    Hmm, sounds much like one of favorite movies Motel Hell.

I use to buy it all the time in california one of them the famous Santos Linguica ( which closed due to the owner going crazy and kiling health inspectors) ... I use to buy it all the time for family gatherings.. but i have never been able to buy it in oklahoma unless i had it shipped to me, which is really expensive. but i will try the local mexican markets aroudn okc..
    I looked it up online and the price per pound is good, and no taxes but the shipping costs are pretty high. I found it for $5.00-$6.95 which is a reasonable price for a good quality sausage (is that an oxymoron?) but they want about $3.00-$4.00 per pound for shipping. OH well, I hope you find it locally, and if you do, please let me know.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Anyone can call Ben E Keith Foods and pick product up at thier will-call area. Tell them exactly what you want...pretty simple.
    Kewl. Didn't know that. They make the Chicken Enchilada Soup that Coits and Oklahoma Heart Hospital serve. Plus they are just up the road from where I work, will have to check it out.

linguica is sort of like chorizo -- both are cured, spiced sausages originating in iberia and both have "new world" counterparts that are uncooked. the bulk sausage would be the latter. very good, but very different if you are looking for the portugese cured version. the "home" of cured linguica in this country is in southeastern massachusetts, in the New Bedford/Fall River area, where it is a staple in the local kale soup and also is thrown in with steamed clams to flavor the broth.

I would second El Mariachi Super Mercado, they also have a north location @ NW 16th and Drexel, they have it. Thanks for the tip on Ben E Keith, I will keep that in mind.

Thread Information