Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

1. Talking Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Hi, I just want to go ahead to make this initial post for Golden Goose since OKCTalk is a great place to advertise. Most everyone on here is aware by now that I am one of the people to do the advertise work, including full site, for them.

Golden Goose is a flea market that has been in the deep part of Midwest City for several years now. Not everyone is aware of it, but just the same way as Old Paris once started out, Golden Goose will continue to change and grow.

Open to the Public on Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am till 6:00pm

Behind KFC across from the corner of the Walmart Supercenter.

The latest, new site will be at www.goldengoosefleamarket.net (the previous old site was at .com and will soon be redirected). The site is not up yet at the time of this post, but I'm just putting the link here. I will make a post when it is ready.

Golden Goose is just one mile east of Mary's Swap Meet. In order to compete and redirect the traffic flow (also to provide more options at affordable rates), Golden Goose have recently went through changes to bring in the East County Swap Meet for the northern section of the building. People interested in selling "junk" and temporary "garage sales" will be able to enjoy the luxury of being indoor along with longer hours than Mary's Swap Meet.

As for the flea market (mini mall) portions, we are working on bringing in higher-end vendors to sell quality products, popular products, interesting and different products, and so on. New booths are in the process of being built and some vendors are moving around.

The new snack shack will open soon.

There is also another huge section of the building (I think about 20,000 sq ft) will soon to be built with many new booths of all different sizes.

Anyway, if you have questions or suggestions, feel free to post. Also, post your experiences, etc. Everything is welcomed as we will take everything into consideration. :-)

Yes, Golden Goose is Pet-Friendly, so bring your furry children, brothers, and sisters along for an enjoyable day with us!

2. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

The site is now up for the most part. I still got a couple of vendors to add and some sections to complete.

There are some booth spaces available and plenty of swap meet spaces available. Prices as shown.

Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

hey thunder, do you know if there is booths that sell old collectable toys like beanie babies and old mcdonald toys at the goldengoose?

4. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

I have some beanie babies in the pink box. I know most of them are retired and worth money, but I don't think I will be able to sell for what its worth at a "flea market" so I kept them in the box. :-O Although I took Pinky out and put it within a palm tree gift set. And I have one year complete set all opened and another year complete set all sealed from McD. The first year, we didn't realize not to open them. lolol

There are toys there, but I don't pay attention to those.

5. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

We have a lot of beanie babies, but probably couldn't get near to what we paid for them.

6. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    We have a lot of beanie babies, but probably couldn't get near to what we paid for them.
    Yeah. It would be hard now. If they somehow regain crazed popularity, then it would be a great chance to sell them off. I have checked completed auctions on eBay to see how sadly many of the auctions did not receive a bid or was sold at a way too low prices. People these days don't care about the actual value, cuz they just simply do not want to pay for the actual value.

Its like, when one is valued at $200, people only want to pay $1 for it even tho they know it worth a lot more.

An item is worth only what someone will give for it.

8. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

I learned the whole place first opened back in 2006. That is only 5 years.

They are very happy with the site. I took more pictures and info. I even took fresh pix of my store, which I will update soon.

Paul's Lps has some sports bears, Some beanies
    .,,,will bring sunday,,,the17th

The golden goose first opened up 11 years ago( i belive the name was the same), some of my friends had a booth there for awhile, i believe it closed for a couple years then reopened back in 06. Its a nice place, I really liked it back in 2000 when they had a huge model train display in the back, i was there with my then 4 year old niece during easter , the easter bunny was there in one of the booths , she had a polaroid pic taken with the eater bunny..now my little niece is a high schooler , man time flies by

11. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Greetings Paul. I must have missed it today. :-P

Jesseda, the owner did put down 2000, but changed it to 2006. I wonder why it closed. The train displays are still there. :-) The biggest one, I am not sure if its still operational, but it is there. There is a smaller display, I think is turned on only during the presence of children coming to watch.

12. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

There is something that I am curious about. I know they converted the northern section into a Swap Meet and opened the section where I (and Paul's LPs) are at, which there are two sections of booth-style Mini Mall. Now, as for another section, which is currently dark and empty (next to the new Jan's Snack Shack), you will see the closed, wooden doors with signs saying, "STAFF/VENDORS ONLY," and I recently noticed today a new sign mentioning the future expansion of Swap Meet. Now, I don't know if they are going to convert all of that empty space into an actual Swap Meet, what is everyone's opinion on that? I thought they will continue to expand the booth-style Mini Mall into there, but the sign is saying Swap Meet.

Also, I'm curious on everyone's interest/input about shopping at flea markets. Do you prefer shopping booth-style, where items are generally on the higher-end or flat spaces (Swap Meet) for really cheap items?

It'd be weird to have two separate locations for Swap Meet divided by booth-style Mini Mall in between. I will have to check into that to make sure if that is actually a plan or there will be booths in that section mixed in with flat spaces. No clue for now and I'm not sure of the time frame for all of that to get going.

Another question I'd like know on everyone's opinion regarding vendors/retailers. What price range and quality of items do you prefer when shopping in the different booths? Do you accept that higher-end vendors moving in with higher quality along with higher prices (but not expensive) within the booths?

Looking at Old Paris, there are a lot of stores selling quite well with prices near or at retail values. Just a thought on that.

These days, the economy are so tough for small business owners. Now people are looking at relocating to and/or opening a store inside a flea market, because the rental/overhead costs are way lower than stand-alone brick stores and big shopping centers. So, I'm not surprised to see the influx of higher-end business owners making a home for their store inside a flea market. It is the same way for me, the thoughts of opening a store would cost thousands, and it was a dream to have my own store for years, so this flea market made my dream come true. Same for many other people.

Jesseda, do you remember how much customers traffic there was at Golden Goose from 2000 until closing before reopening in 2006? Have you been there since their reopening? How do you compare the customers traffic? What would you suggest to help boost Golden Goose's exposure?

Last month or so, I did a lot of searches in different ways on Google and I came upon an article written locally about Oklahoma's flea markets. The author listed several major flea markets, including Mary's Swap Meet. Outraged, I left a comment toward the author about forgetting the growing Golden Goose flea market. Seriously, the author excluded Golden Goose from his list.

And one last thing, I noticed how many people rush to Mary Swap Meet in the morning, but only a very few of them make a stop at Golden Goose and the new East County Swap Meet. How do everyone propose we fix that? To be honest, I think Mary's Swap Meet always close around Noon to 3pm. I think Noon, I dunno, every time I leave to go home, the place is totally empty. I guess Noon? Hopefully more people will realize that Golden Goose's Swap Meet are open until 6pm.

Yes, I'm passionate about Golden Goose. LOL

13. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Also, what is everyone's opinion on Moonwalk? Ya know, those big air-blown play fun for kids to jump around inside. As a parent, would you be willing to let your kids play in there? For what $ cost and time length?

14. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Just found out. They are gonna move the Swap Meet out of the northern section into the most central part of the building. Not sure how long that will take them. The space will be bigger.

They are planning to rent out the northern space to whatever interested business.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Just found out. They are gonna move the Swap Meet out of the northern section into the most central part of the building. Not sure how long that will take them. The space will be bigger.

They are planning to rent out the northern space to whatever interested business.
    This won't affect what I am doing, will it?

16. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    This won't affect what I am doing, will it?
    Nah. I am not with that section. Mine is booth-style. Sent ya PM.

Is the wrestling still going strong?

18. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Is the wrestling still going strong?
    Yes. There are several events, which I will get to that to. I had to do some changes, and then other changes since screwed up IE does not know how to display properly (like Firefox does). Then had to relocate the domain to the main slot for the MySQL databases to work properly, so getting to that contact form to work.

Several events listing to come that I have (getting paper)...

Car Show
    MMA <<< I think this is the wrestling?
    Foxy Boxing
    Amateur Boxing
    Live Music Events

And something about Mid-South Pro Wrestling.

They are working on finding a landscaping company to sponsor a showcase to set up indoor pond with fountain and to have Koi in it.

Possibly a regular contract with carnivals (not sure if same groups for the State Fair since rides are same?) since parking lot is plentiful. Heritage Park Mall is gone, so I think it be a good location for that area of MWC.

Outdoor vendors, etc.

Swap Meet will move out of the northern section to another portion of the building, which the section is bigger, and there are easier and more plentiful parking access.

As for the portion where the garages are at, I do not know what future plans will be for that. I hope to clear it all out and open all garage doors for outdoor vendors, etc, and there stairway leading to the snack shack.

Swap Meet is amazing for those wanting to host garage sales, but not at home. They can do it at the flea market, which is really affordable, without limit restriction (MWC limit two yearly?). Longer hours than Mary's Swap Meet.

19. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Also, management are very strict about what is to be sold there. Nothing of any kind that will attract gangs, etc, like what is being sold at Old Paris. So, keep in mind about that. We want to keep the place super friendly. :-D

No, MMA isn't scripted and is extremely boring. Not to mention a glut of Ed Hardy douchebag wannabes attend. Mid South is the "pro wrestling". Scripted in the vein of WWE, but no where near as good. It'd be like these semi-pro football teams that pop up at Taft from time to time. The clientel of pro wrestling is decidedly red-neck and older. Much more pleasent than the douches that attend/watch MMA.

21. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

May 1st, there was a hailstorm passing on through. Pea sized hail was dumped real good.

22. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

WIN A FREE $50 SHOPPING SPREE!

For every $10 spent, receive a free ticket at Jim and Sue's Mercantile.

Drawing will be held on the last Sunday of May.

http://goldengoosefleamarket.net/jimsuesmercantile.html

(The email address listed is invalid. I will need to check into it this weekend.)

23. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    No, MMA isn't scripted and is extremely boring. Not to mention a glut of Ed Hardy douchebag wannabes attend. Mid South is the "pro wrestling". Scripted in the vein of WWE, but no where near as good. It'd be like these semi-pro football teams that pop up at Taft from time to time. The clientel of pro wrestling is decidedly red-neck and older. Much more pleasent than the douches that attend/watch MMA.
    I've gotta disagree to a point. While the venues are certainly often filled with Gold's Gym rejects (stereotype generalization) all wearing freshly pressed Ed Hardy and Affliction t-shirts, I've really enjoyed all of the events we've been to at the Coca Cola Events Center that were sponsored by Big Dog Productions. We always get a ringside table and have one for the 5/21 event. I ignore the wannabe's and have actually found the crowd to be pretty friendly. Before the first event I ever went to (a couple of years ago), I really figured it would be ripe for testosterone driven bullying and fights. But, it was quite the opposite. I took my teenager to the next one and he loved it. Been to maybe 6 or 7 now total.

I don't think 'boring' would ever enter my mind at one of these events. The fighting is 100% real and we've seen some people suffer some pretty hard to watch injuries. But a table is certainly the way to go - free food, free drinks and all served by ring girls.

24. Default Re: Golden Goose Flea Market - Event Center & Mini Mall

Thunder: I haven't read through all of this thread (so you may have covered it), how full is the Golden Goose as far as vendor spots? I stopped going to AMC when it dropped to only about 50% full.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I've gotta disagree to a point. While the venues are certainly often filled with Gold's Gym rejects (stereotype generalization) all wearing freshly pressed Ed Hardy and Affliction t-shirts, I've really enjoyed all of the events we've been to at the Coca Cola Events Center that were sponsored by Big Dog Productions. We always get a ringside table and have one for the 5/21 event. I ignore the wannabe's and have actually found the crowd to be pretty friendly. Before the first event I ever went to (a couple of years ago), I really figured it would be ripe for testosterone driven bullying and fights. But, it was quite the opposite. I took my teenager to the next one and he loved it. Been to maybe 6 or 7 now total.

I don't think 'boring' would ever enter my mind at one of these events. The fighting is 100% real and we've seen some people suffer some pretty hard to watch injuries. But a table is certainly the way to go - free food, free drinks and all served by ring girls.

I never said that MMA wasn't legit fighting. But it is boring. Unless you like to watch two men hug each other on the floor. Considering you these two men are getting paid to hug each other on the floor...it reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on. What do you call it when someone does something for money that they wouldn't do for free?

I'm glad to hear that the crowd is friendly. Maybe it's just the crowds at BDUBs that are bad. Still, boxing is my violent sport of choice and UFC will never replace it in my heart.

Thread Information